Need a saw limited budget!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rchrist64

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

Well my husky 455 died on me and I am looking to replace it with something a bit bigger. I cut 5-7 cords a year mostly oak. Other than the hand me down Husky that I had all I know is Stihl I was thinking about the MS311. Looks like I will be OTD at 540.00 and that is about all my wife will let me spend. I am willing to look at other brands just don't know witch ones to look at. Want something that will last.

Let me know what you think.

Sending you a PM. Depending upon where you are in MI, I have a couple Stihl saws I'm considering selling. One guy, 3 saws...

I will try to assist in your decision making.

Top players want top money for their stuff, even in the economy line. So I would look at another brand in your situation to get the most out of your money.
Any of the following are high quality manufactures and can be chosen without a doubt.
Dolmar=Makita, Efco=Oleo Mac, Echo=Shindaiwa, Hitachi=Tanaka, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Solo, Stihl

What I would chose on your budget is either:

1.The Efco 165, pro saw that will whip any farm and ranch model Stihl 311/391 back to .... I've seen Baileys has them for 9,99$ more than your budget!!!! Absolutely unthinkable that there is any discusion about what saw to get! I just saw the have the little brother 156 for 499$! I mean this simply is not funny what type of prices you guys get over there. :cry: These two Italien made pro saws are, although equal in power specs, surely more powerful in real life compared to the Stihl 311/391. So to put it simple the Stihl 311 for 550 or a pro Efco 156 for 40$ less! here's the link
156 http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/Chainsaws/Farm-Land-Owner/Efco-Model-156-Chainsaw-with-18-Bar-and-Chain.axd
165 Efco Model 165 Chainsaw With 18" Bar And Chain | Professional | Chainsaws | www.baileysonline.com

2. The Echo 590/600p has a very big following. Similar pro construction (the 590 is the homeowner model to the 600p but both have the same motor!)

Was it somehow unclear what I prefer?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well I would say the Husqvarna saws have better air filtration and easier to use controls for the choke/run/stop compared to the Stihl saws. If you wanted a cheaper saw then I would look at the Dolmar/Makita 6400 saw. You could look at home depot and buy one of their used models from them for probably 200 clams or less. I bought two that way. The nice thing about this saw is it has a lot of torque so it acts like a 70-75cc saw. I know my stock Dolmar 79cc saw runs very very close to a stihl 660 which is a 91.6cc saw. Another nice thing about the Dol/Kita 6400 is you always have the option of going bigger with a big bore kit since the bottom end is the same as the 7900. You can pick up a 7900 Dolmar for about $800. Only problem with the Dol/kita's is the air filter needs frequent cleaning where on a Husqvarna you never even have to worry about the air filter.

What happened to the 455? Might be cheaper to find the issue there and get that running again. At the very least you could sell the 455 if it were running to help fund the new saw.

I will try to assist in your decision making.

Top players want top money for their stuff, even in the economy line. So I would look at another brand in your situation to get the most out of your money.
Any of the following are high quality manufactures and can be chosen without a doubt.
Dolmar=Makita, Efco=Oleo Mac, Echo=Shindaiwa, Hitachi=Tanaka, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Solo, Stihl

What I would chose on your budget is either:

1.The Efco 165, pro saw that will whip any farm and ranch model Stihl 311/391 back to .... I've seen Baileys has them for 9,99$ more than your budget!!!! Absolutely unthinkable that there is any discusion about what saw to get! I just saw the have the little brother 156 for 499$! I mean this simply is not funny what type of prices you guys get over there. :cry: These two Italien made pro saws are, although equal in power specs, surely more powerful in real life compared to the Stihl 311/391. So to put it simple the Stihl 311 for 550 or a pro Efco 156 for 40$ less! here's the link
156 Efco Model 156 Chainsaw With 18" Bar And Chain | Farm, Land Owner | Chainsaws | www.baileysonline.com
165 Efco Model 165 Chainsaw With 18" Bar And Chain | Professional | Chainsaws | www.baileysonline.com

2. The Echo 590/600p has a very big following. Similar pro construction (the 590 is the homeowner model to the 600p but both have the same motor!)

Was it somehow unclear what I prefer?

Good luck!

How will the 165 Run the 20" bar have you had any experience? I like the brief description I read about quality.

Keep an eye on Baileys, sometimes they have the Maktia 6401 on sale for around the price range you are looking for.

A Husky 550 is about in your price range and is a 50 cc saw that cuts like a 60cc.

Last edited:
I like the 550xp anything i should look out for and if i buy one with a 16" bar will my 20" 55 bar and chain fit?

That's really cheap makes you wonder? I bought my 550XP with case, and extra chain and it ran like 611 bucks. I can't remember but I think I made him throw in the chain free. The case was $40 so? Makes a guy wonder when one is for sale for 440 bucks or less? Maybe just a good deal.:confused:

I like the 550xp anything i should look out for and if i buy one with a 16" bar will my 20" 55 bar and chain fit?

They should as both are "small frame" saws however I do not know if the chain gage will match. If you got a 550 with an 18" bar, that's about as an all around package enough to may not consider swapping bars. Yes, with a sprocket change you can run 3/8th. Keep in mind that this is a "peaky" or high revving saw so 3/8's on a 20" bar may be problematic. 16-18" should be no problem in 3/8's

Last edited:
Look on the tradin' post someone has a ms361. I've never used one but used to have an 036 pro that cut great. I ended up buying an 044 from someone here that I like a lot better. Most saws are good with a good sharp chain and personally I use stihl since I had poor luck with husky saws but that is just one man's experience.

Dolmar/makita

Dolmar 6400 is a very good saw. It is surprisingly powerful for its displacement. Don't let anyone tell you the 6400 is underpowered. At $250-300 for a used makita, it's a smoking deal. My 6400 has impressed everyone that has handled it. Not that it's special, just more saw than you should be able to get for the price. That being said I'm looking to upgrade to 79cc. Either way it does the job

Might try a new Husky with Auto tune. I have seen some at about 50cc new on line no tax, no shipping that should cut as good or better than the 455. Auto tune should also prevent the scored p/c problem as well. I think the was talk of a 455AT coming out at less than $500. Let us know what you get and how it works out. Many of us cut firewood and that size saw and price range is a good all around firewood saw.
Tom

If u'r considering used, keep an eye open for good condition 357/359's and ms361's. those are some of the better firewood saws

Latest posts

Back