Need a Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
Well..........I have given it quite alot of research lately and really want a new Stihl MS 361 chainsaw:greenchainsaw: I have a MS 180 for smaller work already. I believe in paying for quality. I want a real saw and know that the MS 361 is highly respected here on the forums :chainsaw: I am thinking of taking $520.00 cash to my local Stihl dealer and putting it on the counter for an 18" bar and chain MS 361 here in southeastern lower Michigan for one. I do not know it the dealer will except this amount of cash or not :confused: Any advice would be appreciated. I need a kick in the ass to commit to the purchase. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
Well..........I have given it quite alot of research lately and really want a new Stihl MS 361 chainsaw:greenchainsaw: I have a MS 180 for smaller work already. I believe in paying for quality. I want a real saw and know that the MS 361 is highly respected here on the forums :chainsaw: I am thinking of taking $520.00 cash to my local Stihl dealer and putting it on the counter for an 18" bar and chain MS 361 here in southeastern lower Michigan for one. I do not know it the dealer will except this amount of cash or not :confused: Any advice would be appreciated. I need a kick in the ass to commit to the purchase. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Heres your kick:deadhorse:

Well, consider your ass kicked by me. Go buy it. I can't say anything about the $520. That'll be up to the dealer. But my thinking on it is this-if you're willing to drop $520 (alot of money) on a saw, why not the $570 (just a little bit more) or so he's likely asking. And you'd be more likely to get an extra chain, some bar oil and so forth if you do so. JMO. That'll be up to. I'm just saying, don't shy away from a higher price just to save $50 that would likely include a chain and some extra goodies anyway. But again, that's between you and your dealer.

As for the saw, quit pestering yourself, and just go get it. With your 180, the 361 is gonna blow it away in every way. You could probably almost sell it once you get the 361 because you won't ever need to pick it up again.

Convinced yet, or do I need to post some 361 pics?

post em

i own a 036 pro...same as 361 now and i want to see pics anyways...just a saw nut....mass i got 570 quote for 361 with 16 inch bar and chain

Hmmmmm.........maybe I will put $550.00 cash on the counter for the same with a spare saw chain :hmm3grin2orange: Thanks for the support guys. This will be my first real chainsaw purchase and I am a bit nervous :biggrinbounce2: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:

Just a .02 cent plan "B" . .

Go in with 5 bills in one pocket and look at something like an MS-310,,,, let him bring up the 361 and tell him how your not prepared to pay that much,,,,, but maybe could if he would entertain $500. ,,,,, you may have your $20 dollar whip in your other pocket, flashing green anywhere still works for some.

Sometimes deals for exact amounts don't work as rounding the sales tax is hard math for some, having the pre-tax amount for him to try to hit the "$520" amount may just put the saw in your name?

If it's something you need, then get a quality product. I've been happy w/my Stihl ever since I bought it. I used to use my dad's 1970-something Pioneer. It was powerful and LOUD, but it still runs great to this day-cutting Burr Oak and Black Walnut.

Now, don't make me dust off my steel toed Red Wings!

Be careful, these guys are evil.
You will own more saws than you know what to do with sooner than you think!

Seriously, enjoy the new saw.

:cheers:

18watt said:
If it's something you need, then get a quality product. I've been happy w/my Stihl ever since I bought it. I used to use my dad's 1970-something Pioneer. It was powerful and LOUD, but it still runs great to this day-cutting Burr Oak and Black Walnut.

Now, don't make me dust off my steel toed Red Wings!

Yup!

Welcome to the site!

When I lived in MN it was Red Wing boots, now it's hand built Hawthorns, quality is priceless. life is too short to swear at a starter rope or nurse a saw through.

Dumb question here........Ready? Will a MS 361 18" bar take down a 20 inch trunk size maple tree without coughing :hmm3grin2orange: about 20" or less trunk size is my goal for now :chainsaw: I am looking for speed and quickness! Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon ;)

talon1189 said:
Dumb question here........Ready? Will a MS 361 18" bar take down a 20 inch trunk size maple tree without coughing :hmm3grin2orange: about 20" or less trunk size is my goal for now :chainsaw: I am looking for speed and quickness! Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon ;)

Speed and quickness are relative terms, as I am sure you know. Will it outperform MS180? Yup. MS290? Yup. MS660? Nope, but I know which one I'd rather tote around all day.

In serious response to your question, you should be quite pleased with the performance of that size of saw in that size of wood. It should be a light and powerful combination easily capable of handling that size tree for felling, limbing, and bucking.

computeruser said:
Speed and quickness are relative terms, as I am sure you know. Will it outperform MS180? Yup. MS290? Yup. MS660? Nope, but I know which one I'd rather tote around all day.

In serious response to your question, you should be quite pleased with the performance of that size of saw in that size of wood. It should be a light and powerful combination easily capable of handling that size tree for felling, limbing, and bucking.
Computeruser.........I started by looking at a MS 290.........then.....hey why not a MS 390 for a few bucks more :D why not get a MS 361 for a few more bucks while getting a REAL chainsaw :rock: I have the cash money........and believe in spending money after much research for a real product. I bought a HS 181 Stihl hedge trimmer for $440.00 out the door recently and am real happy with this product. I love the quality and will pay for it if I feel it is worth it down the road :rock: I guess that this is a desease isn't it? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Not even in the same class with the 180 although that's a great saw in its intended niche and beyond. 61cc vs. 31. Will blow it away especially once you get in any wood over 6" thick. Personally I'd spend the money to get it equipped as I wanted it. For me that would be 25" ES bar and Stihl RS or RSC chain. Everybody else would say go with the short bar, 18 0r 20" or go with a skip chain and the 25". if you're cutting real hard wood all the time I would say the 20" bar and comp chain might be a better choice. Be prepared to spend about 550-600 for it instead of the $520, a lot of these guys won't budge off of MSRP.

Talon, you will soon be looking at saws in the 90cc range. I can see it coming.

The saw you are looking at will have NO problems on a 20" tree.

You will be very pleased with the speed, and smooth cutting.

Stick with a smaller bar, like 18", and it will cut quicker, and be more versatile for limbing, small branches, etc.

JMHO

;)

Don't waste you're time with the 290-390 saws if you are going to use it a lot, good saws for the money, but you get what you pay for. Just because it says on paper it will run with the 361, it doesn't always work that way!!
Andy

Well Talon, you just said you bought a hedge trimmer for $440 bucks. Don't think twice about the 361. Superb saw. It blows the 290/310/390 series out of the water, and it's the saw that replaced the 036/360, which was a fine saw in it's own right. It's got far better anti-vibe, powerband and weight than any of those saws.

It will handle your maple just fine. Open that muffler up a bit (very, very easy to do), and it'll be a whole new saw above and beyond what it is out the door.

I don't have to tell you to skip the 310 or the 390 for this saw, but I'll do it anyway. Don't back down. And don't be nervous. Remember, the dealer is there to help you (at least he should be), and none of us here have any reason to steer you wrong. I've got no problem recommend the 361 to anyone. It'll hang with light timber saws, and still be light enough to be a small, nimble, limbing saw.

Here- http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28339&d=1131704680

This is my 361 with a full wrap, huge dogs, and a 24" bar in light timber.

And here it is in a tree with an 18" as a climber- http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30441&d=1137851982

And here it is, as is- http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30440&d=1137851886

Just go buy it....

fishhuntcutwood said:
Well Talon, you just said you bought a hedge trimmer for $440 bucks. Don't think twice about the 361. Superb saw. It blows the 290/310/390 series out of the water, and it's the saw that replaced the 036/360, which was a fine saw in it's own right. It's got far better anti-vibe, powerband and weight than any of those saws.

It will handle your maple just fine. Open that muffler up a bit (very, very easy to do), and it'll be a whole new saw above and beyond what it is out the door.

I don't have to tell you to skip the 310 or the 390 for this saw, but I'll do it anyway. Don't back down. And don't be nervous. Remember, the dealer is there to help you (at least he should be), and none of us here have any reason to steer you wrong. I've got no problem recommend the 361 to anyone. It'll hang with light timber saws, and still be light enough to be a small, nimble, limbing saw.

Here- http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28339&d=1131704680

This is my 361 with a full wrap, huge dogs, and a 24" bar in light timber.

And here it is in a tree with an 18" as a climber- http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30441&d=1137851982

And here it is, as is- http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30440&d=1137851886

Just go buy it....
I really cannot thank you people for your comments enough :cheers: Going with an 18" bar........What kinda chain should I get.......3/8" ???? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
I really cannot thank you people for your comments enough :cheers: Going with an 18" bar........What kinda chain should I get.......3/8" ???? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

I would encourage the 20", but thats personal prefs there, no reason to run anything but 3/8s on that!!! Get the spare loop in RM or RSC, or see if you can talk the dealer into changing it off the saw! That RM2 SUCKS!!! I think it is more dangerous than the non kickback chain, just vibrates the living crap out of you!!
Andy

talon1189 said:
What kinda chain should I get.......3/8"

Yep. RS or RSC for clean timber and cutting, or RM for dirty stuff. Stay away from "2" safety chain. Tell the dealer specifically that you don't want safety chain. Lie to him and tell him you fall timber for a living if you have to. Saftey chain will hobble any saw by half.

Latest posts

Back