Need a Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
And there ain't a damn thing wrong with the 357xp IMHO!!!!
Andy
I'll agree with you there.
Herd something going around about the jug getting to hot. but no one says it burns up. I know a climber that has been using one for two years now and no problems.

manual said:
The 357XP or Jonny reds 2156

Yes, but they are heavier (even though Husky claims the opposite), and has a bit less power output and low end torque - outboard cluch into the bargain. :biggrinbounce2:

fishhuntcutwood said:
That wasn't so bad was it?

My dealer had a 361 today for $600 w/ a 24".
As my dad always said "It only hurts once" when you pay for it :cheers: Is it tougher to get a non-safety chain? I told my dealer that I did not want a safety chain and he promptly changed the chain on my MS 361 and also gave me a spare non-safety without any questions to me :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

SawTroll said:
Yes, but they are heavier (even though Husky claims the opposite), and has a bit less power output and low end torque - outboard cluch into the bargain. :biggrinbounce2:

Give me a break will ya,
Husky seems to fall short on the low end torque in there saws.
they make up for it in the higher revs.
Stop forcing the saw and let the saw do the work. as with any machine.
Outboard clutch is not a bad thing.
He bought a Sthil and that is what he got. I think its funny how Sthil did not follow the 361 design when they made the 441. It is not all about emissions. Time will tell.

manual said:
I think its funny how Sthil did not follow the 361 design when they made the 441. It is not all about emissions. Time will tell.

It mostly about about emissions.. The MS361 won't pass the 2009 emission standards; the MS441 will. The 361 is the last of the newer "dirty saws". Cleaner than the 360, but not clean enough.

Lakeside53 said:
It mostly about about emissions.. The MS361 won't pass the 2009 emission standards; the MS441 will. The 361 is the last of the newer "dirty saws". Cleaner than the 360, but not clean enough.

Yup and thats why Ole Daddy here is about to get him one. I've sold alot of 361's and to date none have come back for any sort of repair at all, none. Have had the customers come back saying how much they like it though.

Lake I assume you will mod my muffler on my soon to be 361????,hmmmmmmmm. I'd like it the same as yours but I want my hole cut .0000000000000000000000001 bigger than yours just so I can say mine's bigger,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Well..........I took my new MS 361 out for it's maiden voyage today :greenchainsaw: I cut down two 10 inch pine trees in a residential area. The saw cut through them like a hot knife in butter :chainsaw: Very impressive so far. I took along my MS 180 to do the limbing. The 2 saws are like night and day......WOW :clap: Glad I did not get the low kickback safety chain thanks to you men and your advice :greenchainsaw: The new saw puffs out quite a bit of blue smoke when I start it thou. It disappears after about 2 minutes of use. I guess that I gotta expect this until the rings seat in the cylinder :dizzy: I named the new MS 361 "Big Brutus" by the way :jester: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Look I never said that the 361 is a bad saw. Never will.
Huskys 357xp is a good saw too. try to give credit to something else other then Sthil. some peoples opinions are too bias.

Thall maybe your customers are going some place else to get repair service.
I find it hard to believe you have done no repairs on a 361.

THALL10326 said:
\
Lake I assume you will mod my muffler on my soon to be 361????,hmmmmmmmm. I'd like it the same as yours but I want my hole cut .0000000000000000000000001 bigger than yours just so I can say mine's bigger,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

For you, no problem.... your gold bars are as good as the next guy.

It won't be bigger than mine...unless you want your saw to be a flubbering dog... I can tack on a fake port or two to make you feel better... you could take them off when you need to cut real wood.:biggrinbounce2:

manual said:
Thall maybe your customers are going some place else to get repair service.
I find it hard to believe you have done no repairs on a 361.

We've sold over a hundred of the 361 and done very few real repairs either. There are a boat load getting pounded daily the local saw mills, some over two years old and well over a 1000 hours run time (estimated). Most of my repairs are replacing tanks when they run over them with the forklift... It is a reliable saw, but so was the 036 and the 044 and... and so you don't jump on me, probably most of the current day equivalent competing models are also. I don't know of any "unreliable dog" saw (pro level) from any brand.

The only "real" 361 repairs I've done (not counting the broken pull cords, clogged fuel filters , stripped studs, busted chain tensioner and all the idiot-factor stuff, etc) was a cracked cylinder - Stihl sent a new one for free even though the saw was nearly 2 years old, and a broken crank - again, we got one for free.

manual said:
.... I think its funny how Sthil did not follow the 361 design when they made the 441. It is not all about emissions. Time will tell.
That was exactly what disappointed :mad: me and several others, when Stihl started leaking specs on the 441 some time ago......

As apparent in the "Prince" tread, I am still disappointed - but I will get over it. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:

:bowdown: I understand what you are saying, and I believe you.

:cheers:

357xp

sawinredneck said:
And there ain't a damn thing wrong with the 357xp IMHO!!!!
Andy

manual said:
.....Outboard clutch is not a bad thing. ...

.... unless you are trying to ripcut wood from the side with it.

I surely wouldn't mind one, provided I could keep my MS361 also.

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
For you, no problem.... your gold bars are as good as the next guy.

It won't be bigger than mine...unless you want your saw to be a flubbering dog... I can tack on a fake port or two to make you feel better... you could take them off when you need to cut real wood.:biggrinbounce2:

That will work for me. Make the fake port look huge,lol.

I should have that saw in a few weeks. I been putting off getting that one but after doing a few jobs with the 441 the past few Sundays the 361 is paid for with 441 play money. I guess I'll need to do one more job to pay for the muffler mod. Be gentle on me ole feller, remember its all about looks on this one, make the mod pruty,lol

talon1189 said:
Well..........I took my new MS 361 out for it's maiden voyage today :greenchainsaw: I cut down two 10 inch pine trees in a residential area. The saw cut through them like a hot knife in butter :chainsaw: Very impressive so far. I took along my MS 180 to do the limbing. The 2 saws are like night and day......WOW :clap: Glad I did not get the low kickback safety chain thanks to you men and your advice :greenchainsaw: The new saw puffs out quite a bit of blue smoke when I start it thou. It disappears after about 2 minutes of use. I guess that I gotta expect this until the rings seat in the cylinder :dizzy: I named the new MS 361 "Big Brutus" by the way :jester: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Big Brutus is smoking because the rings are not seated, in time they will.
I would say more but ther are to many experts out there that could help you.
Run your saw safe and enjoy the day.
Mike

Rich, Jeff and I all three have been running 361's for over a year and have used 16" 18" and 20" bars with both .325 and 3/8 chain.

I'm conservative and I ran both of mine at less than full throttle for the first two tanks, just to seat my rings, etc. Others have run theirs full throttle from get go, they say in order to seat the rings quicker. Your choice.

Simply gutting the muffler and drilling three nice size holes in the front cover of the muffler will make a nice improvement in performance. I've put a nice piece of professional wire mesh over the three holes I drilled in my muffler, as a spark precaution and to keep any stray dirt out of my muffler. I can add pictures to this post later to show you how that looks.

Then if you have a spare $200 there are some professional's who can modify the motor for even greater performance. I've had that done on both of my saws and feel it was a good investment too. I thought it was expensive; but, heck I'd probably have spent that on beer and pretzels any way. :cheers:

In the meantime, enjoy the saw as it is an improvement over the 036 Pro, which was one of my all time favorites saws.

Talon don't let W. tex suck you into it.
I've seen the symptoms. Next thing you know you will be stopping by looking through you saw dealers window late at night.

And another one gets sucked in LOL!!!!!!!! You will need a top handle next, then a 440 size next, then you will come across a great deal you cant walk away from, then another......................
We need to change the forum name to "Chainsaw addiction":cheers:
Andy

manual said:
Talon don't let W. tex suck you into it.
I've seen the symptoms. Next thing you know you will be stopping by looking through you saw dealers window late at night.

Who here remembers the movie "Raising Arizona?"

"I found myself driving past convenience stores that weren't on my way home..."

Chainsaws are like sex, you can't have too much. :greenchainsaw: At the moment I feel naked as I'm down from seven to four. But I'm sure there will be some good buys on ebay after the next hurricane goes through. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back