Need a Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the money and what they are meant for, great saws, I know a guy has 3 in his garage righ now, been thinking about working one off of him to give to a kid to help with firewood this winter (need help serious bad this year)
I am way to hard on them and am using them more and more all the time, even been catching myself looking at used ms200t's more and more:hmm3grin2orange:
If it works for you and money is tight, walk away, if you can swing it and feel comfortable with the deal, I don't think you will regret it a bit!!! Might even turn into you're goto saw, as my 262 has.
I will be last person to say anything about a financial decision!! I am broke most of the time to, but my saws make me too much money to ignore, wife doesn't even fight with me about it anymore, she actually sat down and made sure I orderd the right chaps helmet gloves and ripped me about not finding a shirt/vest yet!!!
Andy

I hear ya.
already lined up a sale of 4 face to finance the saw.
I was out cutting in the rain and the little woman pulled up and said, I guess you want to get that saw don't ya.
I did not say a word she just got out in the rain and helped load the truck. Works better if you don't say anything. :)

SO TRUE!!!!! That, or hand her some checks for the wood you sold, makes them real quite!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
SO TRUE!!!!! That, or hand her some checks for the wood you sold, makes them real quite!!!
Andy
you get to handle the money wow. most times she goes with and they pay her.

manual said:
you get to handle the money wow. most times she goes with and they pay her.

OHHHHH, Heavns NO!!!!! That would mean she had to help carry the wood!!!! Manual labor is not her "thing" unlike you and I:biggrinbounce2:
Andy

Got one on you I told my little one she can stop throwing wood to me as soon as she can split it.
To tell you the truth I think she likes to throw wood at me.

sawinredneck said:
... Might even turn into you're goto saw, as my 262 has. ...
My brother has a pretty banged up, but strong running 262xpg (it is one of the early ones, without decomp valve) - I have tried to pry it away from him, but he won't let go of it....

A brand new 262 is the only saw I would consider turning my 361 in for, but I believe that they are available only in Russia by now....:bang:

Last edited:
talon1189 said:
......I can feel the obsession coming on ........

Yep it just gets worse ... er ... I mean better!

Talon, unlike 99.99% of avid chainsaw users, I am not a "brand" guy. When I buy a saw, I buy a saw and not a name. I have some Stihls that I love, and I have some Huskys that I love. But I have to tell you, the next saw you buy, it NEEDS to be a 372XP.
This, amongst all my saws, is my favorite. I even use it for limbing sometimes even though she is a little heavy for that purpose. I just throw a little 20" bar on her (Helga - the Swedish Monster) and away we go.

Don't get caught up in the "Stihl beats Husky" BS or vise versa. Overall, both companies produce the best lines of saws on the planet. And pound for pound, the 372XP is one of the best regardless of nameplate. Get one and Brutus will have a Swedish Amazon-size woman to keep him company on those long forays into the woods. :cool:

Hey FHCW ......

How do you like the 65s?

ATC Mobile was my first duty out of A school. We took delivery of the first HU 25s (replaced the C 131 Thunderpigs) right as I got there and i was one of the first to get qual'd on them. Was also Qed on the 3Fs. Right before I got out in 85 we took delivery of the first Dauphins. They wouldn't even let us short-timers get a ride because every ociffer and his brother was getting rides. :mad:
Anyway, back then, we were all saying "why are we buying a helicopter that isn't a dedicated amphib!?"
We loved our Pelicans. Running water landings were fun, and to us, flying around in a helicopter that had "airbags" was not a great idea.
i guess they worked out okay, but I see you guys flying around in 60s and I think now THERE is a ride!
When I was in, I had the chance to get Q'ed on the 52s. Haha. How unglorious. Besides. A pitch change rod severed on one not long before I got there (Mobile) and killed the whole crew. I have some slides of it. they were too old and none of us wanted to ride in them.
If you've ever been to ATC Mobile. You've seen the monument.
Semper Par!

TexasTimbers said:
How do you like the 65s?

ATC Mobile was my first duty out of A school. We took delivery of the first HU 25s (replaced the C 131 Thunderpigs) right as I got there and i was one of the first to get qual'd on them. Was also Qed on the 3Fs. Right before I got out in 85 we took delivery of the first Dauphins. They wouldn't even let us short-timers get a ride because every ociffer and his brother was getting rides. :mad:
Anyway, back then, we were all saying "why are we buying a helicopter that isn't a dedicated amphib!?"
We loved our Pelicans. Running water landings were fun, and to us, flying around in a helicopter that had "airbags" was not a great idea.
i guess they worked out okay, but I see you guys flying around in 60s and I think now THERE is a ride!
When I was in, I had the chance to get Q'ed on the 52s. Haha. How unglorious. Besides. A pitch change rod severed on one not long before I got there (Mobile) and killed the whole crew. I have some slides of it. they were too old and none of us wanted to ride in them.
If you've ever been to ATC Mobile. You've seen the monument.
Semper Par!

I love them! And they've come a long way since then. They originally came out with the LTS-101, which in it's own right is a good engine, but underpowered for the airframe, and the control system was antiquated and outdated to say the least. Toward the end of that engine (some units still have them-B models) we'd have torque splits sometimes three times a week. It was terrible. Now we've got the Turbomeca on there (C model) and it's a whole new world. Power is abundant, FADEC control system and we're good to go. You can take off with 1,700 lbs of gas, four crew and get up at 500+ fpm. You can hover and hoist at 6,500' in the mountains. You'd be lucky to hold a steady hover at 1,500' with the LTS. It's a whole new game.

Since the advent of ASMs beginning swimming, landing amphib is long gone. You'd be amazed the stuff we can do now.

The 60 is a good airframe, but they're life-limited to 10k hours, and they crack like crazy. The 65 is actually a more robust, renewable (no life-limit) airframe. 60 has more power and room for sure, which is why you always see them on TV, as they can carry TV crews, but supposedly down the road, the CG is going to phase them out in favor of all 65's. But you know how the gov't works and how things pan out.

So what'd you do? AM, AD, AE? I'm what we now call an AMT, which is a blend of those three. Tweets are now AETs, and ASM are AST. Five rates, to three. That happened back in '97/'98 when I came in.

I've got good friend on here, he goes by "TreeBarber." You'll see him more up in the Arbo 101 forum. He's an old AD who did H-3s. He and I were in Kodiak together, and now are both here in P.A.

I've heard about that 52 with the PCR. I still tell that story to the new guys to illustrate the importance of those little things, and the need to properly safetywire them.

Later TT.

Jeff

Yep you young whippersnappers are having alot of fun, and doing alot of good.

Sounds like the Dolphin turned out okay regardless of all us old salts thinking the top brass was nuts. I guess even they can get something right on occassion. :laugh:

You gave me a good education: I had no idea that 60 airframe was so weak. I also had no idea about the blending of rates! I was a tweet to answer your question. When I was in, we did in-house component level repair to all our equipment including nav/comm/radar. Do they still do that or just swap boxes?
We didn't have sensing like FLIR or SLIR. I would be lost to step into the game now.
I have so many stories you wouldn't believe though. Like, believe it or not, I was the first to um, well, "fool around" with a woman in the very first Falcon the night of the day it was delivered. I had duty that night and I came up with this idea to be the first, and well, I made a phone call over to the E club where I knew there was a certain SPAR sipping margaritas .... and the rest is history.
I think the tail number was 2101. The tail number to aircraft.
Geez. Lots of other stories too numerous to start here. :hmm3grin2orange:

TexasTimbers said:
Yep you young whippersnappers are having alot of fun, and doing alot of good.

Sounds like the Dolphin turned out okay regardless of all us old salts thinking the top brass was nuts. I guess even they can get something right on occassion. :laugh:

You gave me a good education: I had no idea that 60 airframe was so weak. I also had no idea about the blending of rates! I was a tweet to answer your question. When I was in, we did in-house component level repair to all our equipment including nav/comm/radar. Do they still do that or just swap boxes?
We didn't have sensing like FLIR or SLIR. I would be lost to step into the game now.
I have so many stories you wouldn't believe though. Like, believe it or not, I was the first to um, well, "fool around" with a woman in the very first Falcon the night of the day it was delivered. I had duty that night and I came up with this idea to be the first, and well, I made a phone call over to the E club where I knew there was a certain SPAR sipping margaritas .... and the rest is history.
I think the tail number was 2101. The tail number to aircraft.
Geez. Lots of other stories too numerous to start here. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ha! Good story. I fooled around with a young SA in the back of 6584, on the back of CGC Munro in the middle of the Bering Sea. She's an airdale now stationed in Miami I think. She's married and kids now. Good girl though.

Anyway, don't misunderstand me about the 60 airframe. It's a fine airframe, but being all metal, and put under the loads it is, it cracks alot in the tail. I wouldn't call it weak, just prone. They're now limited to 135 kts dne if I'm not mistaken because of those cracks.

And yes, everything now is swap out, swap in. Black boxes in and out. Engines the same way too. It's all power by the hour, and we don't hardly touch component maintenance anymore. We can pull fuel pumps and that sort of thing, but originally with the LTS they changed PT wheels and all that. That ended, and now with the Turbomecas, they sent me to school in Grand Prairie at Tmeca USA to learn to take them apart and build them up....but we don't do it. Pull the whole engine, and put a whole new one back on. Bad one goes back to them to deal with. Engines and avionics are PBH, but we still repair, inspect, troubleshoot, tear down, reassemble everything else-head, tail, flight controls, hydraulics, ECS, structure/skin just like old school, proper mechanics! Changed out a bad nose strut and sliding door tonight. Uggh, long night. Covered in hydraulic fluid....

Jeff

tell ya what

Ill tell ya what i bought me a MS 361 on Feb 8th and it was the best thing ive ever bought. I actually woke up this morning and went out and cut a lil wood before work. I live in pa and it was probably 40 this morning. My saw is just starting to break in. Im on probably my 4th tank of gas and its really gaining some power. When i first got the saw it was real quiet and smooth. Now, is still smooth but it has gotten a lot louder and has a ton more power. If you are looking at a 361 you are looking in the right place. They are beautiful running saws and i promise you that you won't be dissappointed .
:clap:

another good thing

Another good thing about the 361 is it is light. I run an 18" bar on mine and for cutting firewood thats just about right. With an 18 the saw is perfectly balanced at the front handle. :greenchainsaw:

i know one thing about SE lower michigan and the ms361

if Weingartz in waterford was selling them for $1 i would not darken their door.what a bunch of idiots.i wanted to say alot worse than that but i held my tongue.last time i was there i was on the verge of physical violence and i'm not a violent guy.

I think I've found my home!

Hello, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you...no wait that's the wrong intro. How's this?

New member here and I just bought my 4th chainsaw today! A one year old Stihl ms361 w/a 25" bar for 300.00 beans! Found it on craigslist 30 minutes after the guy posted the ad and actually talked him down from 350.00.

Also on CL is a one year old 372xp with a 36" (!) bar for 300.00 but went with the Stihl. Where I live deals can be found because of the slow economy. Not just on saws but other stuff too.

My other saws are a stihl 180 mini farmboss that I used for limbing and xmas tree harvesting, and a nearly worn-out `70's vintage stihl 041AV that cuts great but loves to disassemble itself, loctite be damned.

3rd saw is a little 32cc Mac I bought but have never been able to get running right. Then up until today my main falling/bucking saw was a vintage Pro Mac 610 my dad loaned me. Low hours and like my 041 it cuts like hell with a good sharp chain.

It'll be fun to do a cutting comparison between the 361 and the 610.

anyway, I'm glad this site exists because whenever I talk sawtalk with my friends their faces go blank and their eyes glaze over- I am NOT joking!

ps- woodpimp is my nickname when I camp with these friends because I always cut wood for the campfire. A LOT of wood!

neil in oregon

Back