Need a Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
I would encourage the 20", but thats personal prefs there, no reason to run anything but 3/8s on that!!! Get the spare loop in RM or RSC, or see if you can talk the dealer into changing it off the saw! That RM2 SUCKS!!! I think it is more dangerous than the non kickback chain, just vibrates the living crap out of you!!
Andy
Probably good advice :bowdown: I was going to go with the stock chain in a 18" Is this a bad choice???????? >>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
Probably good advice :bowdown: I was going to go with the stock chain in a 18" Is this a bad choice???????? >>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

See post above LOL!!! You are getting tag teamed by Jeff and I tonight:laugh:

talon1189 said:
Well..........I have given it quite alot of research lately and really want a new Stihl MS 361 chainsaw ...
Everyone needs a 361, so just go and get it! :blob2: :blob2:

520 or 570 USD doesn't really matter much in the long run......

:buttkick:

talon1189 said:

That depends on what the stock chain is.

I suspect that Stihl in the US are in a transformation prosess, changing the stock chain from RM2 (which is not good) to RSC3 (which most likely is much better, but still a reduced kickback chain).
The RSC3 may cut as good as RS/RSC, but the jury is still out.....

As my friend Jeff, I prefer RSC/RS for clean wood, and RM (not RM2) for dirty wood.

An 18" bar balances the 361 perfectly, if that means anything to you.

Last edited:

how hard is the mufler mod and how do you get them big nasty spikes on the side.....does this help in bucking logs better or not worth its time and money ??

sloth9669 said:
how hard is the mufler mod and how do you get them big nasty spikes on the side.....does this help in bucking logs better or not worth its time and money ??

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=27247&highlight=361+muffler

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528&highlight=361+muffler

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31040&highlight=big+dogs

Try a search for "361 muffler" and you'll get 100 more threads. These are just three that I know off the top of my head.

talon1189 said:
A 18" bar works fine in Michigan unless you are a chainsaw junky go with the 20" on the chainsaw deal then buy the 18" saves you some bucks on the bar. 3/8" chain .050 gauge works great plenty of lube easy to find. 7 tooth sprocket.
Buy the saw and get to know it.

sloth9669 said:
Again go buy the saw your waisting day lite.

SawTroll said:
Everyone needs a 361, so just go and get it!

520 or 570 USD doesn't really matter much in the long run......
Well..........You men talked me into the MS 361 :biggrinbounce2: I just got back from buying one. I asked for the saw with an 18" bar with a non safety chain. The dealer said the best he could do was $575.00 plus tax. I said throw in a spare non safety chain and it is a deal. He checked his stock and did not have a 18" bar in stock :bang: He said he could have one by the end of the week. I said then give me the 20" bar with a spare non safety chain for the same $575.00 + tax and he reluctantly said OK :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: So I am sitting here typing all excited about my new toy. I hope that was a good deal on the saw :rockn: The MS 361 dwarfs my MS 180 and makes it look like a toy. Now I need to come up with a name for my new saw :heart: Any suggestions before I get down and dirty with my MS 361? I am glad that I skipped buying a MS 290.......Hopefully the extra $250 will be quickly forgotten once I get used to this monster :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Just Mow said:
congrats...................:blob2:

Ditto
You will be alright with a 20' bar. There is a reason he was out of 18' bars.
18" is a common bar in Michigan Some loggers use a 16" for more speed.
Take it easy on that new saw of yours and take it back after five tanks of gas. for retuning. then run it like you stoled it

TexasTimbers said:
What is the Husky equivalent to this saw? I know that you Stihl fellas will say Husky does not make an equivalent to any Stihl saw haha. But seriously with all the raving about this saw I wondered what the Husky equivalent would be.

The 357XP or Jonny reds 2156

TexasTimbers said:
What is the Husky equivalent to this saw? I know that you Stihl fellas will say Husky does not make an equivalent to any Stihl saw haha. But seriously with all the raving about this saw I wondered what the Husky equivalent would be.

359 or 357xp both 12 pounds
359 is 59 cc as is the 361
357xp is only 56.5 cc, but they play with the xp's, to raise the HP somewhat.

I am not sure how prices compare.

musch said:
359 or 357xp both 12 pounds
359 is 59 cc as is the 361
357xp is only 56.5 cc, but they play with the xp's, to raise the HP somewhat.

I am not sure how prices compare.

I went with the 357xp because that would be huskys pro line.
same as the 361 being the Sthil pro line up.
From what I have read you would have to do some modding to get close to what the 357xp preforms.

Latest posts

Back