Need advice asap - evergreen cutting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliottk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Homeowner wants to "top" a set of 60+ year old cedars and a pine, reducing the height by about HALF. I maintain this will unquestionably kill the trees, but homeowner must be convinced of the error of her ways by input from qualified people! Even if the trees survive, and the idea is to expect them to "fill in" - I believe - is incorrect, and growth would just resume at the tops.

The trees were planted too close together 60+ years ago, as an ill-advised "hedge," and their relative sparseness seems to bear out what was a poor decision back then. Regardless, they serve as a screen for the property from an industrial site at the rear. For scale, the span of the trees in this view is about 50 ft left-to-right. The tallest tree (pine) is an estimated 60 ft. I would hate to see these trees destroyed, but homeowner won't listen (yet). Unfortunately, too many local lawn services that will happily accept the job without caring about the impact. Any convincing input from experts here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Location is Nassau County, NY, so if there is a local arborist who could consult on this (site visit?) that would be even better. Thanks in advance.

This link was found on the site, but apparently no longer exists at this location: http://www.isa-arbor.com/consumer/topping.html

Attachments

• 20141219_082404.jpg
    20141219_082404.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for the replies. The advisory document regarding topping seems to apply primarily to deciduous trees(?), but can I claim applicability to evergreens as well?

What's the objective? If it's safety, then specify reduction pruning. The biggest pine is a candidate for removal.

There's no safety concern. The interest in topping is apparently just driven based on perceived "appearance improvement," based on the belief that these can be treated the same as a privet hedge.

OK, let's roll with that. Provided they survive the initial surgery, these trees will respond exactly the way a privet hedge will to a shearing. Where they are topped multiple branches and shooters will turn skyward, chasing after that beautiful sunlight.Where once we had one graceful leader, we now have four, or five, or ten branches bending skyward, all on weak attachment points. We have climbed halfway up the mast of our beautiful sloop and hacked it off, and jury rigged several smaller masts and sails up there.We are suddenly very top heavy. Our mast isn't resigned for these stresses. So, at some point, in a good blow, either our mast fails at the base or our jury rigs fail at their attachment points.

I know it's not your call or mine for that matter, but I would remove all those ugly looking shrubs along the yard sides and tree-like ones at the back and then leave that big Pine.
Installing a tall wood fence along the back will block any unsightly industry back there.
Looks like no one has bothered doing any pruning in the last twenty years back there....as is usual everywhere.
When I moved into my place it was the same thing. No tree care was done in 17 years on this place. I cut and pruned for two years to get a good looking area around the house.
Anyway, just a few options to pass on to the homeowner.
I am an Architectural designer. Maybe that will have some weight in their decision making....ha,ha.

I don't disagree that topping is bad, but I've seen some urban and woods trees that have been toped for a number of years without any new skyward leaders.
shoot, just start looking when you drive around town... I can think of several off hand here that show no signs of stress, disease or otherwise. In one case I know the road was expanded into the rightaway about 10 years ago. When they moved the power line they topped a nice spruce. Probably took the top 15-20 feet out of it. Not a sign of new leader growth.

I've come across plenty of snapped wind thrown trees out in the woods that are doing just fine. Top is snapped off 30-40 feet up, and decay status of the top on the ground says it's been out for awhile!

Butcher me on this folks, but I'd guess it'd be a heck of a long time before, if at all, new sucker shoots would start showing.

Back