Need advice in selecting a pair of climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbicide

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi.
I am in the market for a set of climbers. I have a slew of dead elm trees that I need to remove. I obviously like to simply drop them from the ground but there are a number of them where this is not feasible. These elms are hard as hell since they have been dead for at least 1 to 2 years. The bark sloughs off in large sheets by simply pulling at it. They remind me of telephone poles with branches at the top.

I have looked at some climbers on line. It has not helped much. This is kind of like asking the AS classic question "What chainsaw should I buy?" Buckingham or Klein? Tree climbers or pole? Fixed gaff or replaceable? Straight leg iron or curved? The local Buckingham dealer has only fixed gaff and titanium climbers in stock and said he only sell the straight irons. A customer service rep at Buckingham told me their most popular model has the curved iron. So anyway I am looking for some input from you Pros. BTW, these will not be used on living trees. I am doing TSI and am looking to limit damage to the surrounding timber. Why is it that when they do finally fall over on their own that they always land on the good trees?

Thanks for your feedback. :cheers:

I'm gonna believe that this will not be the first time for you. If it is please think twice about this.

Here is what I use, Bashlin offset twisted steel with leather L pads. I have two pair of these both replaceable gaffs, one set has tree and the other pole. Offset will not rub your instep as bad and be a lot more comfy. Twisted will ride on your leg flatter and will not angle in and dig at all. Steel just cause I am a bigger guy and I could feel the Alum flex on the alum climber I tried, not to good of a feeling for me. Get good thick heavey padded pads.

Owl

I had Kliens with aluminum pads and the offset gaffs. I have Buckinghams with fixed straight gaffs and aluminum pads. Now I use Buckinghams with aluminum pads and replacable 3" straight gaffs. Most of the trees I climb are conifers, the 3" Bucks stick in good, the Kliens were a little better on deciduos trees. So, I figure you can't go too far wrong with either. Can't advise you to much on the pads, aluminum are good for me. Good luck and climb safe.

warning

never trust a dead elm tree. i went to the new geckos and will not even considder wearing my t2 bucks with super pad never ever again!!!!im 210 in the nude and my new alluminum's dont flex a bit. THAT IS GECKO NOT GIEKO!!!:clap: use the hooks as least as possable,ayghhh my fkn knees hurt. im only 27,but ive used hooks on stone dead trees since 15. dont lock yer knees in the trees it will cost u dearly.

I prefer Klien 3/4" offset hooks just because I learned on them and that is what I used for years. I am using Buckinghams now and have gotten well accustomed to them. Spent 10 hours on them a month or so back on 3 large removals. Was paying for the crane and had to get it all done in a day. I am just using L pads and didn't get any chafing at all. My next set will probably be another set of Klien or I might even try a set of aluminum Bashlin. It doesn't take me long to get used to a new pair if spikes but the Kliens have still been my favorite thus far.

Oh yeah, I hear you on the Elms. I've been taking them down in droves. DED is laying waste to them where I live and work...

Last edited:
I started off with buckinghams steel straights and L pads. I'm using a set of aluminum Bashlins with the offset and a pair of super climber pads.
My next set of pads will be the alum. caddies
Whatever brand you get, get the offsets.
Also, I'd get the replacable tree gaffs if I was going to have just one set.

Last edited:
I don't advise climbing dead elms for your first time in spikes. They turn into something similar to concrete light poles. Try something nice and soft like a willow to get the feel of the climbers for your first time. I climb with Gecko's and they are the most comfortable spikes that you will ever wear.

I have been on these for a couple of months now. These are by far the most comfortable hooks I have ever used! I have been climbing for almost 8 years and these rock!
Let me know if your interested, my supplier is the ONLY one in the USA with access to import these.........PM me for more info.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=52219

Have you ever

I just want to know Have you ever used set of gaffs.
If not you need to know the safety fundamentals.
I would really hate to hear of you getting hurt Or even worse.
To which are better I Have use a few and I like the klins better then the rest
but as we All know to Each has there own.
Hey if you are new to tree removel it is best to the ones who know how to
1. put on the gear
2. set up the ropes
3. get up the tree (safely)
4. how to tie in and do safe
5. were to start
6. what to do when you start
If this is your first time get some one who knows what to do, to
help you.
when you cut a tree from the ground the cut will guide the tree.
First of all this IS TO DO SAFE OF ALL THE THINGS AROUND THE TREE.

Back