Need advice on a ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frofro666

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post! I have a 55 Rancher and I need to cut these huge slabs to fit into my splitter. The slabs are maybe
8" thick and just over 24" in dia. I tried to cut them lengthwise, (starting on the 8" part) and my saw just makes dust and smoke.
Its some kind of hard wood. My saw cuts throught them like butter when I saw throught the smaller 10" pieces normally, so I think my blade is plenty sharp.

Anyway I found a local saw shop that is going to make me a ripping chain, I guess he buys it in 100foot rolls.

I understand there is more kickback potential, and I have even read that this kind of chain should be only used on portable sawmills.

Can I use it for a hand held saw such as mine?

Thanks in advance.

Just use regular chain. You shouldn't have any issues, it's called "noodling", look it up with the search function. Some guys really get off on it here. I noodled a couple of big boxelder bits last month. I didn't have any issues, but I had twice the saw you do. Your saw will do it, don't worry about getting ripping chain.

Its some kind of hard wood. My saw cuts throught them like butter when I saw throught the smaller 10" pieces normally, so I think my blade is plenty sharp.

....... .

How often are you sharpening that chain?

You shouldn't need any special chain for ripping from the side (noodling) - and "dust and smoke" sounds like you have a dull chain........

Welcome to the AS! :)

The common practice is to cut the logs up into firewood chunks and then noodle them into halves or quarters depending on size.

Lay the round on it's side and cut from other with the bar flat to the log bark. It should pull out long strings of wood so be careful not to plug your clutch cover.

The common practice is to cut the logs up into firewood chunks and then noodle them into halves or quarters depending on size.

Lay the round on it's side and cut from other with the bar flat to the log bark. It should pull out long strings of wood so be careful not to plug your clutch cover.

Yep, but I prefere to keep an angle (experiment with it), to make the noodles shorter. Normal chisel chain works best for that sort of cutting, ime. :msp_smile:

"Ripping chain" is for cutting the logs from the end, which is not a good idea at all in this case - but would explain the "dust and smoke" statement in the original post.......

Thanks alot guys! The chain i got from the local guy is a stihl chain. He said it would rip wood no problem and its not a ripping chain. Still has the 30 degree angle. I will try this this weekend and post back results!

Thanks!

Thanks alot guys! The chain i got from the local guy is a stihl chain. He said it would rip wood no problem and its not a ripping chain. Still has the 30 degree angle. I will try this this weekend and post back results!

Thanks!

I am more confused now then before??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

sounds like you were using safety chain and he sold you the yellow stuff,takes some pics of your old and new chain ,reckon thats it:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back