Need advice on choosing a string trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm just more confused....

So the Husky does have attachments... where do I find them on Husky's site?

What is the advantage to the Kombi system over the normal trimmer system? It seems like the regular trimmers have most all of the same attachments as the Kombi with a few exceptions.

They make them two different ways for a couple of reasons.

One is convenience. Someone buying a new trimmer may opt for a "Kombi" system (I'll use that to refer to any brand) so they can have different attachments down the road. The system may be deemed weaker because of an extra connection - both for the driveshaft and the tube itself. Extra connections create power loss through transmission and a weak point. The Kombi system is heavier, but easier to exchange attachments.

Another is to produce just the attachment starting at the gearbox without the pole extension you find with a Kombi system. This is so someone who already has just a trimmer won't be completely left out of the loop, and can still use different attachments on their trimmer - or so they can have a slightly more durable setup with no split tubes or driveshaft. It is a little more work to swap out the attachments because you need an allen wrench to release the head.

Go here HUSQVARNA 327LDx - Trimmers and click on the accessories tab to see the attachments you can use. They don't really advertise just the attachments for the non Kombi system trimmers, but a dealer should be more than happy to tell you they are available.

Has anybody ever used the tiller/cultivator attachment for any of the systems?

I can see that as something I would eventually buy. Is it awkward to use?

I think I've pretty much settled on Stihl or Echo for the trimmer. But I don't like the tine style on the Echo tiller attachment. If the tiller is awkward to use I won't worry about it and probably go with Echo. But if the tillers aren't bad then tine style would be a concern.

"So the Husky does have attachments... where do I find them on Husky's site?"

Yes they make attachments. I have a Husqvarna Pole saw, and bought the string trimmer attachment for it. It's OK as a pole saw, but really shines as a string trimmer. The pole saw attachment really eats up some power to run it, but it's fine if you don't get in a hurry or try to use it like a chainsaw to cut firewood! I haven't looked on their site to see what they actually offer, bought mine off of Ebay.

Be aware that they have a "star" drive, not the square drive, so attachments that will fit it will be limited some. Husqvarna may make "lower end" stuff with the square drive, like the stuff sold at Lowe's, but I've never checked close enough to be sure?.....Cliff

Now I'm just more confused....

So the Husky does have attachments... where do I find them on Husky's site?

What is the advantage to the Kombi system over the normal trimmer system? It seems like the regular trimmers have most all of the same attachments as the Kombi with a few exceptions.

The advantage of the Kombi system is ease of switching the attachments. Yes, you can change them at the shaft, but it takes tools and you have to line everything up. The Kombi lets you change it at the center of the shaft with no tools. All the split shaft accessories fit too. I have a john deere tiller attachment (awesome!) a cub cadet 10" chainsaw on a stick, and a Ryobi edger. They all attach. I didn't want to spend the $$ on lesser used attachments. I have a stihl trimmer attachment and I just switch out the trimmer head for a blade when I need it. It is enough of a hassle that I'm thinking about getting another trimmer shaft to dedicate to the blade.

These are all on the KM110. It has more than enough power to run any of them. The KM110 is actually a four stroke with tiny little valves lubricated by mix oil in the gas. I like it better than two strokes for trimming close to fences because it makes good power right off idle. I can run it mid throttle and it still trims well but doesn't obliterate the string when you hit something hard.

Has anybody ever used the tiller/cultivator attachment for any of the systems?

I can see that as something I would eventually buy. Is it awkward to use?

I think I've pretty much settled on Stihl or Echo for the trimmer. But I don't like the tine style on the Echo tiller attachment. If the tiller is awkward to use I won't worry about it and probably go with Echo. But if the tillers aren't bad then tine style would be a concern.

I have never tried any echo atachments, but all the other brand's attachments fit my Stihl KM110. I have a john deere branded tiller attachment and it works GREAT! You'd better wear long pants or you'll end up with shoes full of dirt.

The cultivators are just that, cultivators. Don't expect to break new ground with them unless it's soft and rock/root free. Try to do too much with it and something will break. They're not bad for small areas, as they are typically less then 12" wide.

The cultivator will only work if you have already tilled the ground with something heavier. We, my wife used it for "weeding" around things and down the narrower rows of an already tilled garden, worked fine. But as stated before, don't think you are going to the middle of your yard grass and going to just plow up a fresh flower garden in a jiffy, LOL, because it isn't going to happen.

The cultivator is my least used attachment.

The most used in this order:

Weedeater
Blower
Pole Saw with extension usually
Cultivator

I realize the cultivator has it's limitations, but I'm looking for a cultivator like the Mantis (which my parents have) and the Stihl tine style looks the most similar to that. The Mantis will break new ground, it is long, painstaking work, but it's possible to break new ground with the pointed tines.

Does anybody know if the Stihl Kombi cultivator will go on the Echo PAS trimmers? If so, that is probably the route I'm going to go, you just can't beat a 5 year warranty on the Echo trimmers.

Back