Need advice on grass & shrub cutting tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we're on the subject...I've got a FS100. Has anyone heard of these flooding themselves due to how they are stored? I hang mine in the garage on a "U" shaped hook screwed into the wall so that it is vertical with the powerhead up. If I leave better than a half tank of mix in it then when I go to start it cold in a few days it is flooded. I have to pull the plug, give it about 30 pulls and the whole routine. I didn't read anything in the manual about storing or the like. If I leave it sitting on the floor of the garage, it starts on the 2nd pull. BTW, I like the FS100 a lot. I could have probably used the 110 or 130 but my dealer had them on special price last fall and then gave me an extra 20% off on a package deal because I bought the MM55 at the same time. The 100 is light and lots of power. I use .105 line in it.

Lee I've been leary of storing mine vertically for that exact reason. I use 2 hooks and store it horizontally beneath a shelf so it takes up less precious real estate.

I guess if you're determined to store it vertically you could dump the fuel out of the tank after each use.

I store my FS80 vertically but have not noticed the same behavior. Although, because I have not seen that behavior I have not had cause to check how full my tank is. I am also not sure how different the engine setups are between the models.

Now I am thinking about where I can fit mine for horizontal storage.

I hang all my trimmers upside down by the head. I have 3 Stihls and none of them have flooding problems. Some of my older Echos will leak fuel out of the carb if the're put away with the tank 3/4 or more full. A carb rebuild always seems to fix them.

Matt

I'm a little shy on horizontal wall space but will see if I can carve out a space for it and see if that cures the problem.

kalmos said:
I need to clear grass and wild growing shrubs on an acreage. To my understanding a grass trimmer with straight shaft and a blade would do the trick. Is that true?

In the past we purchased Husqvarna (farm duty) chainsaw and we’ve very happy with it. Our preference is to stick with Husky or Stihl this time as well. I’d like to get ‘farm’ duty tool and max of 30cc’s. Price is a deciding factor. What type of tool and model would you guys recommend? How much should I expect to pay for it?

I just got a Husqvarna 232R for $425 (US) from Alamia.com last week. I think it will do what you want, but I didn't get a chance to test it yet because of all the !@#!#$# rain in the NE US.

fs 250

i bought a fs 250 with saw blade last week and have beat it hard or 1/2 acre of sapplings and deep brush, this thing is awsome, very dangerous tool maybe worst than a chainsaw (flying objects everywhere) but power wise just cant be beat well maybe by its bigger brothers. Spent hours at the dealer going over every model when a worker from Stowe ski resort came in and said they only use 250's due to power and strengh. (young kids running them and trying their best to break them) so that was enough for me! plus not so big on the 4mix models, i like the true power from a two stroke plus i have to much mx2t oil

kalmos said:
Are you suggesting 110 is overkill? Price is bit high at ~$600 CDN.
Get the FS250 and don't look back. It is a chainsaw on a stick.

jefeVTtreeman said:
i bought a fs 250 with saw blade last week and have beat it hard or 1/2 acre of sapplings and deep brush, this thing is awsome, very dangerous tool maybe worst than a chainsaw (flying objects everywhere) but power wise just cant be beat well maybe by its bigger brothers. Spent hours at the dealer going over every model when a worker from Stowe ski resort came in and said they only use 250's due to power and strengh. (young kids running them and trying their best to break them) so that was enough for me! plus not so big on the 4mix models, i like the true power from a two stroke plus i have to much mx2t oil

Just to clear up one point... you'd still need your MX2T in the 4MIX models...

If you want big the FS or KM130 (4mix) is also awesome and can still take the attachments like chainsaws, hedge trimmer etc.. If you're field or brush mowing, the FS250 is perfect.

I have one of the early model FS-110 that were made in Germany. I store mine vertical on a hook and have not had any trouble with it flooding. I have run several FS-130's and love there power. I would have one of them if I did not have the FS-110. The FS-250 is a monster and I sell alot of these to the city and county where I live. They are almost abuse proof. The FS-250 is just to much for what I need.:popcorn:

Lakeside53 said:
Not quite true... It's a flexible verse soild shaft. Both shafts have a lifetime warranty anyhow. We put blades on the flex shafts all the time wth no problems.
Actually if we are talking about the FS100Rx it has a hollow drive shaft for reduced weight and not a flex cable. The FS55R and the FS80R units have the flex cable in them.

Just Mow said:
Actually if we are talking about the FS100Rx it has a hollow drive shaft for reduced weight and not a flex cable. The FS55R and the FS80R units have the flex cable in them.

Yes, you are correct on the 100. We (our store) don't sell the 100 out here... Even given up on the 110 since the 130 came out. We just stock the 90 and the 130, (KM and FS) and bring in the 100 series or 110 if the customer really wants one. Too many model just confuses - ditto with all the blowers!

Last edited:
you will also need to start thinking about blades for whatever machine you decide to buy. If you are cutting saplings and small trees, you want the saw blade. The chisel tooth from Stihl dulls very quickly. I found a windsor blade that I really like. It is the most aggressive blade they sell, but it is recommended for 40cc and bigger. Maybe with the 4mix you can run it on a smaller machine. I have the FS250 and really like it, but since I found the more aggresisve blade, I want to get a bigger machine, plus I get tired of changing back and forth between the blade an string.

Jim

Latest posts

Back