Need advice on how to fall scary leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done! That is a good one to have horizontal. That ratchet strap saved the day :msp_thumbsup:

Well it's down no ones hurt, yeah without that strap it would of got dicey. The tree was hollow for sure. I am not a huge fan of bore cutting because of what happened to u right there. fiber tear and went before you wanted it to, tried to pinch saw I bet lol. With the strap in place I would of likely just made a common back cut! But you got it done and still in one piece. Not too much firewood there huh lol:cheers:

Wish I could remember how to make the pics show up without clicking them...

on the the picture address right click copy link address then open the insert image then drop address it into the from Url tab unclick the tick box Retrieve remote file and reference locally. Preview it, should work yes its a wee clunky method but easier than that drop ya did, well done nice work ;)
228445d1331510996-holy-hollow-800x600-jpg

these are the threads that really make me come to AS lots of good dialogue guys next time get Video its never boring to watch how they fall .

Rope, the only time it tried to pinch the saw was when I made the notch. Bore went smooth enough, even though it released before I planned. A learning experience for sure, and next time I think I'll just try the regular old back cut. I guess it would have worked better. Although, with as much stress as this tree had, some fiber pull seems inevitable to a layman like me. I guess it would have just left a thick hinge as it fell early... A fast saw is a winner here, not to re-mention the strap. The firewood quantity is good. After the defect, there is 50' or so of good solid PA oak, and It is still two ft. or so dia. at that point. LOTS of weight up there! (not anymore:rock:)

derwoodi, If you make the trip to PA, the strap is yours! I think if I was to attempt your leaner, I would strap it, make a VERY small notch, and let it rip with a regular back cut. But that's just me, I'm definitely not the pro!

Roots, no vid capability, sorry. definitely agree with the good dialogue part. I am a safer firewood cutter because of this site and the guys who are willing to give free advice on the internet. Thanks all.

Rope, the only time it tried to pinch the saw was when I made the notch. Bore went smooth enough, even though it released before I planned. A learning experience for sure, and next time I think I'll just try the regular old back cut. I guess it would have worked better. Although, with as much stress as this tree had, some fiber pull seems inevitable to a layman like me. I guess it would have just left a thick hinge as it fell early... A fast saw is a winner here, not to re-mention the strap. The firewood quantity is good. After the defect, there is 50' or so of good solid PA oak, and It is still two ft. or so dia. at that point. LOTS of weight up there! (not anymore:rock:)

derwoodi, If you make the trip to PA, the strap is yours! I think if I was to attempt your leaner, I would strap it, make a VERY small notch, and let it rip with a regular back cut. But that's just me, I'm definitely not the pro!

Roots, no vid capability, sorry. definitely agree with the good dialogue part. I am a safer firewood cutter because of this site and the guys who are willing to give free advice on the internet. Thanks all.

You did fine bro, glad some wood for ya that fiber tear is fine there but in a precision felling area :) it could get murphy :hmm3grin2orange:

Back