Need advise on indoor chimney cleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp Friction

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This weekend I want to purchase a drill-type cleaning brush for my 6" SS flue liner (25'). I hate ladders and especially in the wind. It will be cleaning the liner from inside the house through the insert. A product I saw caught my eye called the "SootEater". It had very flexible 3-foot rods that spin a ball with poly whips. Anyone have experience with this product and know where I can get one online? I will also need the 2-pack of additional 3-foot rods.

Also, I've never cleaned out from below before. What happens when the rotating whip/brush gets to the top of the cap? Should contact with the top be avoided?

Any other product recommendations and links would be appreciated. I'm looking for convenience. Thanks.

I purchased the SootEater and used it once so far last week. I think it is a great investment. I had been cleaning my 25' SS liner with fiberglass rods and a brush from the top and bottom prior to buying this product. I was looking for an easier way though and hate getting on the roof.

The kit includes some plastic you tape to the opening. It really is a must. I hadn't cleaned my liner in 2 years and I had what I considered I fair amount of soot come flying down about half way up. You will need a strong drill. I used my 18V li ion and needed a second battery. I also had a vacuum running the entire time so as not to have the soot in the house.

The nice thing is the strings are nothing more than heavy string trimmer line. I was concerned I'd have to buy a specialty product from them to replace the line because I want to do my mother's chimney which is a different size. But they are easily replaceable.

When I was done, I probably had enough soot to fill a gallon milk container. Not sure if that's a lot or not. I did go on the roof and inspect it from the top down. It was cleaner than when I used a brush. Best tip I could give is your free hand should have a cotton or soft glove to guide the road up while it's spinning.

Well worth the money IMHO. I bought it when I was in PA, but have seen it online.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back