Need advise on replacing Longwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, relocated to my mother's house a little over a year ago following the premature death of my 56 year old brother who ran her farm. I am now running the farm, managing her household & helping her out as best I can (she is 83).

Today I hired a chimney guy to clean her chimney (she loves her wood heat) which didn't get done last year due to the situation with my brother. He told me (1) need a new chimney-liner is shot-apparently from bad installation and 2) her beloved Longwood is shot-firebox is cracked. We're looking at a lot of money.

I'm aware that Longwoods are out of production & hard to come by. I would appreciate suggestions on replacements. Also, I have no idea about how to evaluate his suggestion to replace the chimney. How can I best determine whether to "buy" his recommendations? He is insured & certified but he also sells furnaces, chimneys etc. PS I had a hard time finding him. Chimney cleaners seem hard to come by. In the past, my brother just cleaned the chimney with one of his hired hands.

Look at the yukons, I'm gonna try to get one or two more years out of my longwood and I will be replacing it with a yukon. My longwood is in pretty good shape except it needs new grates before this heating season.

In the last 14 years which is how long that I've been with Yukon...I've personally replaced hundreds of Longwoods.
Everyone says that the wood consumption went down by half.

Our furnaces fall into the bio mass tax credit so you can get 30% back up to 1500$ on your taxes .
This also includes labor and a flue.

We offer Simpsons flu liners at 30% of off list.

Maybe you could call me to chat.
Keith
800-358-0060

Look at the yukons, I'm gonna try to get one or two more years out of my longwood and I will be replacing it with a yukon. My longwood is in pretty good shape except it needs new grates before this heating season.

Do you really want to miss the biomass tax credit?

In the last 14 years which is how long that I've been with Yukon...I've personally replaced hundreds of Longwoods.
Everyone says that the wood consumption went down by half.

Our furnaces fall into the bio mass tax credit so you can get 30% back up to 1500$ on your taxes .
This also includes labor and a flue.

We offer Simpsons flu liners at 30% of off list.

Maybe you could call me to chat.
Keith
800-358-0060

FWIW I've got a longwood as well, & while it is in good shape, and I have very little invested in it, it uses a lot of wood. I'm going to check out the Yukon's myself, but not for a couple of years yet. I do know a guy that's got a Yukon, & loves it. A C

I would love to have on now, because the longwood is horrible for regulating temps, its either hot or too hot, but I also have a blaze king in my living room which also heats us out of the house. But with a wife in school for another year and two kids, its rough right now. I am torn between the husky and the bj90 since I already have two flues in the basement, but lighting fires gets old especially with PA weather. 50 one day and 30 the next.

If a chimney is structurally sound but the liner is cracked you can put in either an insulated flex liner, or an insulated rigid stainless liner to bring it up to safety and code. You didn't say how large your home is or how its insulated but thats important. Getting something thats too big can be a problem as well as something too small. We replaced a standard usstove furnace with a EPA Certified Caddy woodfurnace and its the best money ever spent. I can run the furnace in the shoulder seasons without overheating the home, or filling the chimney. The furnaces burn very cleanly and use less wood. I ran 6.5 cords of wood through our furnace last year and pulled less than a gallon of stuff from the chimney. Good solid units and they look very nice too.

I would love to have on now, because the longwood is horrible for regulating temps, its either hot or too hot, but I also have a blaze king in my living room which also heats us out of the house. But with a wife in school for another year and two kids, its rough right now. I am torn between the husky and the bj90 since I already have two flues in the basement, but lighting fires gets old especially with PA weather. 50 one day and 30 the next.

I hear that alot...lighting fires get's old. When it's mild
I choose to burn small loads and let them burn very slowly. I do have an extra cleaning because of it ,but I'm not relighting with my Jack very much at all.
I know that some customers have said over the years that they wish they had bought the multi-fuel for the self lighting feature.
I try to point out that when making this purchase...Yukon's last a long time,3 decades on average so you should get what you really want.

Uncontrollable heating....any furnace or stove running at full bore flue gas speeds(.08 is normal)you'll be making a ton of heat all at once. You bet you'll overheat the home.
You'll also get short burn times...after all there are only so many btu's per lb.
Yukon's way of burning wood has always been to slow the drafts back to .03 inches of water column.As long as the flue gas temps stay hot enough condensation will not occur...oh you need well seasoned wood too.
Add in a digital thermostat to cycle burn rates plus having a huge amount of surface area to exchange heat is the key. It also helps to have a healthy blower that can blow large amounts of warm air though the home.

In the end the Yukon furnaces will end the need for liquid fuel to heat your home. The only reason a customer would use it is if they chose too. It sure is nice having a choice.

Like I've posted before...I load my BJ90 in the a.m. around 6:30 and 9p.m. unless I'm fishing then that can change.When she's colder than 0 I'll put a piece or two in at dinner time.
It never goes out from Nov. on to May. I burn 6 cords of Ash per winter and we average 0 with many weeks of 15-35 below 0. My home always stays at a toasty 74 degrees. Looking forward to my 15th heating season with my buddy...BJ90.

Last edited:
Thanks you all

My mother's house is about 2500 sf & I still have to get out & measure the chimney but I know from the inspection (and personal observation) that chunks of the ceramic tile fell into the bottom of the chimney. I'm getting up to speed on the liners (best suggestion!) and will look into the Yukons, Caddys & any other suggestions you all might make.

Thanks so much! At least I've got some direction to go in now....

My mother's house is about 2500 sf & I still have to get out & measure the chimney but I know from the inspection (and personal observation) that chunks of the ceramic tile fell into the bottom of the chimney. I'm getting up to speed on the liners (best suggestion!) and will look into the Yukons, Caddys & any other suggestions you all might make.

Thanks so much! At least I've got some direction to go in now....
We offer Simpson Duravent liners with 30% discounts from list prices.
Good luck with your searching. If you have any questions...please call me toll free.
Keith

Latest posts

Back