Need carb for Poulan 655

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Working on putting one of these back together. The carb that is on the saw is a Walbro SDC. Everything I see says it is supposed to be a Walbro WJ-38 carby. Anybody got one of these laying around?

If I could make a manifold, I'd put an HL-360 on it, but my skills preclude me from ever doing that.:bang: This SDC might be OK or maybe I could fit a Tilly HS to it. Pretty straightforward setup.

Chris B.

The SDC carb probably came on the saw originally. The info in the books calls for the WJ carb, but I have a pioneer service bulletin that says they used the SDC carb as a replacement model on many saws starting with the Pioneer/Partner P62 which is essentially the same saw as the 655. I think that they were having a lot of problems with the WJ carb and used the SDC after a while. The WJ had a special filter in the tank to stop smaller pieces of dirt as the WJ is very susceptible to small dirt particles according to the service bulletins I have. The tillotson HS will work and was used as a replacement as well.

pioneerman said:
The SDC carb probably came on the saw originally. The info in the books calls for the WJ carb, but I have a pioneer service bulletin that says they used the SDC carb as a replacement model on many saws

Yeah, I'm starting to figure this out. The carb still needs to be replaced as the throttle and choke shafts are loose, and choke tends to vibrate itself closed. Took me a little while to understand why the saw would start running badly.:dizzy:

I have HS carbs, but near as I can recall they are all pulsed with a hose (came from Stihl 045/075s) and not internally like the Poulan.

Chris B.

Back