need help...HUSKY 372 XPG heated handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

288husky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a used 372 XPG for $50.00 the cylinder is good the piston was missing...the saw is otherwise complete and cosmetically in very good condition......My question is........it has heated handles. The top hand has a red wire and a black wire coming out of the handle. The red wire is plugged in....the black wire is just hanging....does any one know where this black wire goes? Any help would be of great help.. THANKS!!

i think i have a few xpg av springs. i will see if i can dig one up to post a pic. a regular xp av mount won't have the hook up for the ground.

i think i have a few xpg av springs. i will see if i can dig one up to post a pic. a regular xp av mount won't have the hook up for the ground.
well the saw is an original heated handle XPG saw....BUT someone before me had this saw apart... i bought it without a piston in it. So that part you mention may be missing

none of the dealers in this area have that part and barely know what im asking for...... i need that spring you have in your hand LOL

Has anyone done a complete dismantle of the XPG? I fell heir to two 372xpg,s with bad crank bearings. There seems to be wiring going everywhere but loose.
Does the shop manual walk you thru it?
I find the Stihl manuals have a lot more tech info than the Husky manuals.
Thx.
John

Has anyone done a complete dismantle of the XPG? I fell heir to two 372xpg,s with bad crank bearings. There seems to be wiring going everywhere but loose.
Does the shop manual walk you thru it?
I find the Stihl manuals have a lot more tech info than the Husky manuals.
Thx.
John
I have the shop manual to the CS2186 and there is some pretty good info under "Electrical System" when it comes to the wiring for the WH/G models. Can't see it being that far off for the 372/21xx series. PM me if I can help. Good luck. Pete

I have the shop manual to the CS2186 and there is some pretty good info under "Electrical System" when it comes to the wiring for the WH/G models. Can't see it being that far off for the 372/21xx series. PM me if I can help. Good luck. Pete
Good call, thanks. I'll get a manual from Ray Benson on the manual stickie here.

Did you ever get a wiring diagram, I'm trying to hook mine up.
I have the on-off switch with thermostat under the carb, I can't seem to figure out where the carb heater and carb thermostat fit in.

I have the on-off switch with thermostat under the carb, I can't seem to figure out where the carb heater and carb thermostat fit in.
The carb heater fits on the rear of the carb, between the filter boot. The bolt on wiring under the carb has the wiring pointed towards the two mixture screws. Hope that makes sense.

gypo you cull, the intake heating element goes between the intake boot and carb, not the carb and filter mount.

i'll explain this so listen carefully. starting at the generator. one wire coming out of generator splitting into 2 under the carb plate, one wire going up into air box while the other goes to the switch in tank handle, the wire that goes into air box first plugs into carb heater, then carb heat into intake heater, then to a ground. on the other pin of the switch you plug the rear handle element into it, then the rear handle element has a long wire going to the front handle heat. then the front handle grounds to a terminal on the cylinder AV spring. the carb heating is always on but is thermostatically controlled. the handle heat is controlled with the switch. i actually just rebuilt a 390XPGW this morning. this description is for the 2 position switch. the 372 also come with a 3 position switch which makes it so you can turn off the power to the intake heat instead of running them thermostatically all the time. the 3 position really isn't any better. 3 position is one wire from generator to center pin of switch. carb heat goes from pin one up into air box and routed just like 2 position switch system. pin 2 goes to handle heat. very simple.

Thanks Shane, can I ask for more info/help?
That's almost what I have on my 372XPG. I have a two position (I & O) switch. I've read that the two-position was a Canadian thing, and the 3-position was a US thing. I've also read that the 3-position was an earlier version, and the two-position came on later versions. I'm not sure what's what, but I have the thermostatically controlled version.

The generator has a round plug with a pin (male), it terminates just under the carb plate. It doesn't seem like it reaches anything! I have the rear handle heating element, it has both a spade connector to attach to the switch, and a round connector (female) to attach to the top handle. I have the heated top handle, it has a round connector (male pin) and a spade connector to go to the AV ground.

Seems logical to have : Switch -> Rear Handle -> Top Handle -> Ground
and that's the way I plan to run that side of things... but I'm still stumped on the carb heating. The part that is stumping me is where you say 'the wire coming out of the generator splits into two under the carb plate.' That isn't the case for me. I don't have wiring from the generator splitting into two wires, and I don't have a Y-cable. The IPL also doesn't show any Y cable for this model saw.

I have the carb heater, it has a spade connector and a ring connector. Seems like the ring connector could go to a screw for the carb floor into the case so it gets grounded. I have been missing the thermostat for the longest time and haven't found one so I just bought one. It has two very small spade connectors (one male, one female) that don't match any other connectors on my saw. It also doesn't look like the one in the Husqvarna IPL which shows something that has a ring connector and a round connector.

Here is the link to the IPL for the 372XPG.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/husqvarna-372-epa-200701-chainsaw-parts-c-114486_114487_114689.html

On page "G" you can see the heated handle components.

I wonder if I got sent the wrong thermostat? It came in a bag with the correct item number (537 07 13-01) on it, but the connectors don't match the drawing. And the IPL doesn't show any wiring that causes the generator signal to "split" into a signal to the thermostat and a signal to the switch for the handles.

Even if I got a thermostat that had a round connector and ring connector, I'm not sure how I would attach it. I'd guess that I could use the same ground/screw point and the common ring connector to join the signal between the thermostat and the carb heater, but I've usually only seen connections to ground as a terminating signal point, not a shared connection location. And what would the round pin connector of the thermostat go to? I thought maybe it plugged in directly to the generator's round pin connector, but like I said, that connector just reaches to under the carb floor, and I don't see how I'd run a wire up to above the carb floor for the thermostat. And how would I then get any juice to the switch? Well, its a mute point since I don't have a thermostat with those connectors anyway.

Aside : I am also missing the $8 "tube" part, 503 23 85-65. I don't know what that's for either.

so your saying you generator wire has a spade connector on the end of it? does it reach the switch? if it does you likely have a generator from a 3 position switch system. if it doesn't then you have a system that was hacked up by some cull who didn't know what they were doing lol. the 2 postion switch "Y's" off at the wire retaining clip thing integrated into the tank (it's actually meant to hold the front handle wire. the way i described is the way they work though. same as the 385/390's. just wired the 390 i rebuilt this AM. at the split one wire goes to carb heating which is thermostatically controlled and the other wire goes to the handle heat which is controlled by that switch. with 3 position the generator connect directly to center pin of switch. regardless of which system you plan to run. you have to wire it the way i'm saying.

188fffac8aa07443d25facb842bedfeb.jpg

This is the 2 position switch generator. It is the same for the 371/372 and the 385/390. 3 position would have a single spade connector going to center pin on switch. With this generator the plastic covered spade connector goes to the carb heat in air box and the open spade connector goes to the switch on tank handle.

Latest posts

Back