need help in cny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Binghamton NY ... so am I correct in assuming that the oil burner return line is the one going into the bottom or the boiler .. and the zone pumps are suction pumps // pulling through the zones into the manifold .. then my heat exchanger and into bottom port of oil burner?

steve

I live in Binghamton NY ... so am I correct in assuming that the oil burner return line is the one going into the bottom or the boiler .. and the zone pumps are suction pumps // pulling through the zones into the manifold .. then my heat exchanger and into bottom port of oil burner?

steve

yes. the return line enters the bottom of the boiler, your feed line should be coming out of the top.

since a boiler system is a "closed loop" type, the pumps neither suck or pull water. they simply move the water..

think of your OWB heat exchanger as just another way to heat your water, in lieu of using the flames from your gas/oil burners. your OWB isn't considered a "closed loop" since it should have no pressure (unlike your home boiler)

the OWB heats it's own water, that water runs into your heat exchanger. it does not mix in any way with the water from your main boiler. all it does is flows into a manifold, and that manifold heats the surrounding water. however, that surrounding water is used by your main boiler system.

so, when your home boiler turns on and calls for heat, as it pumps the water thru the system, it will circulate the water from the heat exchanger. the heat exchanger should be located just before it enters the main boiler. that way, your main boiler can 'sense" the water temperature and either call for a flame or not. if your OWB has heated the water to al least the minimum degree setting, no flame should turn on, and the system should work like it's supposed to.

your pumps should be enough to move the water and i can't see why any additional pumps are needed, unless you need a pump on the OWB to circulate that water.

yes. the return line enters the bottom of the boiler, your feed line should be coming out of the top.

since a boiler system is a "closed loop" type, the pumps neither suck or pull water. they simply move the water..

think of your OWB heat exchanger as just another way to heat your water, in lieu of using the flames from your gas/oil burners. your OWB isn't considered a "closed loop" since it should have no pressure (unlike your home boiler)

the OWB heats it's own water, that water runs into your heat exchanger. it does not mix in any way with the water from your main boiler. all it does is flows into a manifold, and that manifold heats the surrounding water. however, that surrounding water is used by your main boiler system.

so, when your home boiler turns on and calls for heat, as it pumps the water thru the system, it will circulate the water from the heat exchanger. the heat exchanger should be located just before it enters the main boiler. that way, your main boiler can 'sense" the water temperature and either call for a flame or not. if your OWB has heated the water to al least the minimum degree setting, no flame should turn on, and the system should work like it's supposed to.

your pumps should be enough to move the water and i can't see why any additional pumps are needed, unless you need a pump on the OWB to circulate that water.

what he said

I have a low-tech idea.... just shut the gas off to the boiler. I know you loose the automatic backup capabilities... but its just a thought

Great .. thanks guys ... I am going that route for this year .. my first.. if I find the boiler comming on a lot because no water is circulated in the house circuit I may go to the pump next year .. but I have to be saving some money this way!! Great to have a resouce like this board!!

steve

heres a long shot... maybe if you could post some pics of the piping maybe some on here could spot something that could be amiss
whats everyone think of that idea?

i'm confused here....why are you asking a bunch of "yahoos" (your words) for advice on this instead of hiring a professional to stop by your house and give you the correct and professional advice?

or, are your issues some how different than when someone else askes a question?

i'm confused here....why are you asking a bunch of "yahoos" (your words) for advice on this instead of hiring a professional to stop by your house and give you the correct and professional advice?

or, are your issues some how different than when someone else askes a question?

ya mine is not a life safty issue....
ohh look its another day....

could be a safety issue.

i recommend hiring both a steam fitter and an electrician....just to be on the safe side. and better check with your building inspector to be sure you're following codes.

Last edited:
hummm maybe your right, I will take that under considerations when I make my decision.

ohhh ya I already did check with my local building inspector, he is my neighbor, ohh and I look in my own code book. there are no codes for OWB's
but look there are for chimneys

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/seattle/seattle_residential/PDFs_residential/Chapter 10.pdf.

who would think there would be so much info for such a little thing

your link was for the state of seattle. i hate to break this to you, but you reside in new york.

however, in the thread you're talking about, i had posted two codes from two different states. one did allow it, while another did not. you should read it. i also recommended, as did others, to the OP'ster that checking with his own town/city should be the first step.

maybe you missed that also.

your link was for the state of seattle. i hate to break this to you, but you reside in new york.

however, in the thread you're talking about, i had posted two codes from two different states. one did allow it, while another did not. you should read it. i also recommended, as did others, to the OP'ster that checking with his own town/city should be the first step.

maybe you missed that also.

hate to break it to ya, but it is a direct copy from the 2006 international residential building code, which new york state adopted, and if you read the 2007 residential code of new york state that is what you are going to read, go ahead to your local town office, ask to look at it....nice blue book...

dont even have to go to the town office
here it is http://ecodes.iccsafe.org/iccf/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=icc:ny

Last edited:
Back