Need help to ID a Sthil saw by serial# and suggestions to keep it running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoganjr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to AS and have read several hundred threads. This is my first post, so here goes. I have read about all the threads I could find on 041 AV's which is what the shop thinks it is. This is the serial# 111046160.

It was my dad's saw and he bought it in the early 80's. He backed over it and cracked the hold down plate for the air cleaner cover. I found a cover and had the shop replace it, rebuild the carb, new air filter and put a new bar and chain on it. It had set since around '02 and was running good before he backed over it.

It ran great at the shop. Today I took it out back to cut up a storm-downed tree and it cut and ran great for about 20 minutes. Then it just died like it was out of gas, It will start and idle on choke and then die when you open the choke or try to give it throttle. I am going tomorrow to order the gas and impulse line and filter in the tank, I believe it is original parts. If that don't work I'm thinking maybe condenser from other posts I have read.

Any input would be of great help, especially finding out if is an 041 AV for sure so I get the right parts, the model name on top is rubbed off.

Sorry so long, again thanks for any help. This is my first saw but I have used several. Lots of great info on here, I love AS.

I just put that serial number in and it came back as Invalid. It may not have been registered when bought new.

Post some pics of it and maybe that will help.

Latest posts

Back