NEED HELP--what kind of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugman746

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a guy here in the midwest delivering me a LOT of this wood for free-- Have split some..Just real curious as to what kind of wood it is. My plan is to burn it in my outdoor wood stove.
Thanks

It looks like it could be cottonwood but I can not tell for sure. If it is it will be light when dry and will decay faster then most denser woods. You will get a lot more ashes also but in an outside woodburner it shouldn't be a big deal if you don't mind a little xtra work. In the dead of winter you may like to have some oak or similar to hold the fire for longer periods of time. If you think it might be in your woodpile a year or more I would stack where it gets lots of air, and its dry ,off the ground.

Does it have a fragrance to it ???
Like root beer ?
Kind of looks like sassafras.
With the thick bark.

But maybe like brushwacker said, cottonwood.

The thick, blocky bark and stringiness when split tels me thats cottonwood. Probably harder than hell to split? You are in the midwest, I about guarantee thats cottonwood.

firewood

It does have a smell to it-- ..not sure if it's like rootbeer--It is "stringy" to split--wants to "rip" apart..I have been using it to BBQ as well..food taste ok.. is this wood ok to cook over? ALSO--will it be safe/good for an outdoor wood stove?
and yes--I am near st. louis MO..

I'd say it's cottonwood. I use it for bon fire wood. It dries out real fast and gets very light weight. Burns fast too.

Anything that burns produces heat,some is just better than others.For free,it's hard to beat the price .

Back