Need help with 2011 Husqvarna 576xp autotune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 576 XPO AT just died - 12 months old and little used. My first Husky and I dare say the last after years of trouble free Stihls.
The dDealer can't fix it either - he suspects the ECU but can't test it, and no waranty is left anymore.

It won't rev up, will idle, but stalls as soon as the second butterfly opens. Caeby is clean, fuel flows freely....

Any sugestions?

Well, one test is swap in a new computer control, see if it works then. Your options are test what is there, or replace parts with what should be known working good.

This just a thought...have you chased out the fuel passages in the carb to the orifises in the bore with WD-40 using the red hose?? Are they all clear and delivering wd to the bore? Not sayin it isn't an electro failure of some sort but so many times we all want to think a problem is the most complicated thing that has failed (especially when it's something new we don't trust anyway) when the reality my be something so simple it's overlooked. Case in point...my brother had a boat built new, by a good firm. It had a 351 Ford gas marine engine installed. When it was time to fire it up in the shop to test the systems it started but sounded awful.....so they puzzeled over what it could be and brought in several local marine engine gurus, tore parts off the engine and transmission couldn't find a damn thing wrong..called company who sold the engine they suggested more things to try and sent a rep up from PA to look at it..He tried more tricks and then said pull it and we'll take it back and either fix it or send you a new one. So they got the crane back and pulled the engine and sent it back to PA............it was back in a weeks time with a note describing what the problem had been........#3 and #5 plug wires swapped at the factory.........many embarrassed techs........never overlook the obvious was the lesson learned that day. All I'm saying is go back to basics and see if something very usual has been overlooked in the troubleshooting process. Maybe not.... could well be a brain cramp in the system that can't be found without the proper computer to plug it into but you never know....it's still just a chainsaw....

Been there. And the time I replaced the switch pack and window regulator on my wifes car before I replaced the burnt fuse. :bang: Its sometimes hard to remember to check the simple things.

2011 576xpat.......it doesnt have the connector to hook up to the reader/computer. All that can be done is to flash the existing module, and it will reset itself and perorm its self-diagnostics.

Start with the basics, hows the fuel filter, line and tank vent? Do they all test ok with a vac/pressure test?

How did you do your vac and pressure test on the engine? Did you include the inlet pipe in the test?

I may be wrong, but Im guessing this is upgradable to a new version of hardware? How cost prohibitive would that be?

Much to my surprise, the newer autotunes do not share the computer hook up as the 576at. I don't even know if you can get the computer diagnostic for the 576at any more. I will have to look that up. Unless some one knows the answer to that.

Been there. And the time I replaced the switch pack and window regulator on my wifes car before I replaced the burnt fuse. :bang: Its sometimes hard to remember to check the simple things.

Never would have been an issue if you had just bought a car with manual windows. :looser:

My 576 XPO AT just died - 12 months old and little used. My first Husky and I dare say the last after years of trouble free Stihls.
The dDealer can't fix it either - he suspects the ECU but can't test it, and no waranty is left anymore.

It won't rev up, will idle, but stalls as soon as the second butterfly opens. Caeby is clean, fuel flows freely....

Any sugestions?

Which dealer are you talking to? Maybe phone another - mcdougalls in Slobart? Mower power in Devonport?

I'm on the NW coast but work is likely to have me down south within the next 4 weeks.... No experience with the Launnie dealer and not impressed by the Burnie shack or dealer.....

Much to my surprise, the newer autotunes do not share the computer hook up as the 576at. I don't even know if you can get the computer diagnostic for the 576at any more. I will have to look that up. Unless some one knows the answer to that.

Gen 1 Autotunes to not have a user interface hook up, and can not be hooked up to the AT reader.

Your a lil backwards in your writing.....................you should have said..............

"much to my surprise the 576xpAT does not share the computer hook up as the newer Gen 2 AT saws"

Not upgradeable. Tis what tis

Are they downgradeable without getting into the extremely expensive parts and machining level? As in, any other normal piston and cylinder might be adaptable to the crankcase, meaning the other parts to match could be used?

I know that would still be a lot of expense, but might result in a running saw as opposed to a doorstop.

I'd imagine a non-AT carb would solve it. Might need a coil too but I'd try just the carb first and see what happens.

I'd imagine a non-AT carb would solve it. Might need a coil too but I'd try just the carb first and see what happens.

Well, perhaps someone here will try this on various autotunes that way to see how it goes. Just knowing you can use X carb and assorted other to de computerize a problematic saw would be an interesting mod to remember.

I don't have one yet, and am personally in favor of having an advanced electronic carb, etc..but only if it is robust/cheap/absolutely super reliable and with the ability to field reset it to running shape.

There is no excuse for any of these saws to have inferior electronics or carbs in todays world, computerized everything is old school, well known and cheap. It should not cost hundreds of dollars and be dealer only voodoo, should be around a 10 buck part and be swappable in the field with a scrench. and/or you should be able to just bypass it, set the carb normally somehow into a compromise "good enough to use" position.

Really not digging on hearing of any problems with them, this isn't 30 years ago with miniaturization and computer controls.

With that said, eventually I will get an example and proceed to nerd dork around with it, whenever they have been out long enough to be real cheap used that is.

Of course by then real fuel injection will be on saws and the point will be moot. Autotune and mtronic are stopgap measures, IMO.

I'm implying this retrofit is for the 576 as there are both versions available. I think it would be a difficult task to do the same to a 555/562 etc as there are no non-AT versions available. I'm sure someone can do it as long as the coil is fine....

And what solid reliability does fuel injection give over the current electronics? Different system, but electronic is electronic.... Except FI is more complex.

I'm implying this retrofit is for the 576 as there are both versions available. I think it would be a difficult task to do the same to a 555/562 etc as there are no non-AT versions available. I'm sure someone can do it as long as the coil is fine....

And what solid reliability does fuel injection give over the current electronics? Different system, but electronic is electronic.... Except FI is more complex.

FI is in more widespread use today in other motorized things. they could use computerized cvarbs but....FI is where it is at. Autotune and mtronic is really a step towards that direction.

Maybe I am wrong, but wouldn't bet against it at this time, we will see FI on small engines sometime, and maybe not that long from now. maybe more comples, debateable, but more reliable longer term, and does an even better job of metering, etc.

Anyway, I still like the tech in general, and I know it will evolve to be better in the near term. Stihl and husky have engineers every day go to work and have to think stuff up.....

Made up Husky Story

I gather from the cynical comments that these Husky's are becoming a known problem?

I hate this situation as I have been advertising the Husky as the best thing I ever bought - even to a hardened Stihl owner - but who laconically replied - "you never see an old Husky, do you?". Those words are now imprinted in my memory.

I won't say who the dealer is in Slobart - but the guess is close:) They can't exchange the ECU because they don't have one and I'll have to pay for the 'trial' (300 bucks or so) and they can't test it either because there's no machine to do so.

I have had to fire up one of the old Stihls that's been sitting gathering dust for 12 months or so, to get me by while I work out what to do with this 1500 A dollar 13-month old door stop:confused:

I will pull it to bits completely on the weekend to check for piston damage etc, and go from there. The idea of retrofitting a non-electronic carby is appealing - the dealer actually suggested this but wanted 500-600 dollars to do so - which is perhaps better invested in a new saw. Interestingly, the dealer says this is the first problem AT they have seen but i'm not sure they sell that many anymore due to the economic downturn and the switch to many people buying chainsaws on line from OS - especially the US in recent years.

Thanks for the suggestions:clap:

I gather from the cynical comments that these Husky's are becoming a known problem?

I hate this situation as I have been advertising the Husky as the best thing I ever bought - even to a hardened Stihl owner - but who laconically replied - "you never see an old Husky, do you?". Those words are now imprinted in my memory.

I won't say who the dealer is in Slobart - but the guess is close:) They can't exchange the ECU because they don't have one and I'll have to pay for the 'trial' (300 bucks or so) and they can't test it either because there's no machine to do so.

I have had to fire up one of the old Stihls that's been sitting gathering dust for 12 months or so, to get me by while I work out what to do with this 1500 A dollar 13-month old door stop:confused:

I will pull it to bits completely on the weekend to check for piston damage etc, and go from there. The idea of retrofitting a non-electronic carby is appealing - the dealer actually suggested this but wanted 500-600 dollars to do so - which is perhaps better invested in a new saw. Interestingly, the dealer says this is the first problem AT they have seen but i'm not sure they sell that many anymore due to the economic downturn and the switch to many people buying chainsaws on line from OS - especially the US in recent years.

Thanks for the suggestions:clap:

I hope you get it sorted out soon. Lot of cash to be tied up in a near new saw and have it not work.

FI is in more widespread use today in other motorized things. they could use computerized cvarbs but....FI is where it is at. Autotune and mtronic is really a step towards that direction.

Maybe I am wrong, but wouldn't bet against it at this time, we will see FI on small engines sometime, and maybe not that long from now. maybe more comples, debateable, but more reliable longer term, and does an even better job of metering, etc.

Anyway, I still like the tech in general, and I know it will evolve to be better in the near term. Stihl and husky have engineers every day go to work and have to think stuff up.....

FI is currently in use on some Kohler and Kawasaki engines for L/G equipment. Size and weight don't play a role in those cases though.

Size and weight play only a slight role on cutoff saws.

We will see where the technology goes. I can't imagine these companies would put this much time/money into autotune and mtronic if they weren't going to be around a while first.

FI is currently in use on some Kohler and Kawasaki engines for L/G equipment. Size and weight don't play a role in those cases though.

Size and weight play only a slight role on cutoff saws.

We will see where the technology goes. I can't imagine these companies would put this much time/money into autotune and mtronic if they weren't going to be around a while first.

Well, obviously yes, I agree. They have no choice, emissions regs mandate they do something with two strokes, computer controlled carbs, then fuel injection down the road as the tech gets better and lighter.

Besides the emissions regs, I don't envy them having to deal with warranties and e15 fuel becoming common.

Ha! Weight being an issue...maybe if both husky and stihl come up with FI and it winds up being an extra lb or something..they should have dealers put "man card" displays in the shops as in old heavy saws. Have customer pick up an old big mac/homie whatever, then pick up the new "heavy" saw.. a "quit yore #####in, Nancy" display

hahahahahaha

FI is currently in use on some Kohler and Kawasaki engines for L/G equipment... We will see where the technology goes. I can't imagine these companies would put this much time/money into autotune and mtronic if they weren't going to be around a while first.

FI is fine for multi-cylinder 4-cycle engines with a battery and fuel pump. Doesn't make sense to me for chainsaws unless someone can come up with a way to incorporate electrical storage within the flywheel mass to power a feather-weight fuel pump. Right now, the impulse line/diaphragm fuel pump concept is about as simple and lightweight as I could imagine.

FI is fine for multi-cylinder 4-cycle engines with a battery and fuel pump. Doesn't make sense to me for chainsaws unless someone can come up with a way to incorporate electrical storage within the flywheel mass to power a feather-weight fuel pump. Right now, the impulse line/diaphragm fuel pump concept is about as simple and lightweight as I could imagine.

It is for now, you are correct. Eventually though the tech will get there. Lithium ion batteries, lightweight electronics, etc. Once an engine is running, I am not seeing the power needed to run things as being a negative, it will be there. Storage for juice for an initial start doesn't necessarily have to be within the flywheel, it could be inside the handle bar for instance.

Latest posts

Back