Need help with a sick pine tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savannah Martin

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I stumbled across this forum, and I thought you might be able to help me with an issue I'm having with the pine tree that grows in our front yard. I've been observing it for a while now, because I noticed some weird abnormalities on the bark. At first it looked like someone stuck a gum on it, but after a few days I noticed that there is more than one spot, and the thing just grew over time. Now almost half of the tree bark is covered with these things, and I have no idea how to treat it or what caused it. I'm already looking for a gardener here in Melbourne, who could check it out and give me some advice, but I wanted to ask here too, because I've heard this forum is full of professionals on this particular matter.
I'm attaching a picture:

2n19zi9.jpg

Thanks in advance!

You'll want a local arborist tyo look at that...but you are correct that something bad is happening. What you see on the bark is tree sap (or pitch). This is the tree's response to attack by a bug. That is where local expertise is important because they can tell you what bug, how bad it is, if it is treatable, and how. I know what I'd suspect in my part of the world, but not so sure about Australian pests!

Oh, so it's probably a bug and not a disease? Thanks, that actually helps a lot! I've been researching local gardeners and arborists online, and only one deals with pests too - http://www.fantasticgardenersmelbourne.com.au/tree-services/ . At first I thought it's some kind of weird disease, but I couldn't find a disease that fits the symptoms. But when I saw you mention a bug, I started looking and found this article - http://anpsa.org.au/APOL5/mar97-4.html , which mentions sap sucking insects, so maybe it's one of those. I also found this cool list of Australian native pests and diseases if anyone's interested - https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/plants/health-pests-diseases/a-z-significant . Turns out there are many nasty pests here in Australia. From this last list and the symptoms I may have beetles in the tree, but I guess the arborist will confirm or deny it. I will keep you posted, if anyone's interested :) I wasn't so interested in gardening, but lately it turned out to be a very nice and calming activity.

Oh, that doesn't look too healthy, definitely google for a local tree surgeon / arborist asap. It may be saved yet.

might as well just go ahead and cut it, have lost 4 in my front last couple years, on a warm afternoon you might actually hear the little buggers gnawing in there!!!

The tree is already dead. Even if it is still green, its like a Christmas tree- green but cut off. Bark beetles in that density will have already 'cut off' the tree. They also carry fungi on their bodies that clog up the vasular galleries. Here its called "Blue stain" fungus.

Back