Need help with an 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticknstring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I am new here but need some help.

I am not getting any spark out of the saw. So I put a coil off an 026 on the saw grounded the plug and got spark. It would be reasonable to assume that I need a new coil.

But, the exact same thing happened about a couple of years ago. I also assumed then that I needed a new coil. I went to the dealer to get a new one. I told the mechanic what had happened and I wanted to order a coil. He asked if I had the saw with me, I did. he took it in the back and in five minutes had it running. I asked him what he did. I can't remember now exactly what it was he said, but I think he just cleaned some contacts or something similar. Of course yesterday when i went to have him do it again the store has closed up and gone out of business.

My question is what could he have done in such a short amount of time to get it fixed? What could make one coil work but another one not, other than the one coil being bad? I cleaned up the coil and all of the contacts on it. Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. I hate to order a new coil only to have it not fix the problem.

It is possible that the ignition module went bad. What he may have been talking about with "cleaning" is, getting any oxydation off the contact points between the case and module. If the spots that are supposed to ground the module to the case get oxydized or even too dirty they can loose the ability to ground.

If you hadn't tried another module and it worked I would have recommended you check the Woodruff Key (flywheel key) to make sure that it is not sheared off. However, even though you are getting some spark it may not be enough to fire or out of time if the key is damaged. Also on 064's the flywheel may have two slots for the key. You have to make sure that you have the flywheel and key lined up in the correct one for the module.

I would look for a new coil on eBay used. I don't have my list handy, but if I remember right (and I may not) the 064 can use the basic generic Stihl ignition module that the 026, 028, 036, 044 (and some other saws) use.

Tom

Back