Need help with apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dan. Ok a few more questions please. When I cut this limb do I leave it raw or do apply something to the freshly cut area? Should I do this now before winter sets in or after winter? If you don't mind what does crown cleaning involve. Never cared for an apple tree before. Thank you very much.

walt

I agree with Dan; the tree may not miss that limb much. I think it can be pruned any time and I do not think a sealant is appropriate for this wound. Mulching at the very least to prevent mower damage to trunk. Finding the trunk flare is also a good idea--see the planting link at treesaregood.com

Here is a link on pruning http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_mature.aspx

Where the tree was topped, it should be cleaned and thinned and very lightly reduced per the directions. This is not a huge need but it should improve the tree's health and performance. Looks like you will need a tall ladder, or better yet a certified arborist to take care of this and all your trees. :)

I will be the third vote to remove the limb and get an arborist on site to clean up the crown of that tree. Looks like the power company has been hacking at it. I will also third getting some mulch around the base, the weed wackers are doing a number on the base of that tree.

Latest posts

Back