Need ideas on where to scrounge for logs or wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great. Just remember to run a metal detector over city trees. If they were city property, they are usually clear, but not always. If the city picks them up from residents' houses after storms, they can have clothesline anchors and all sorts of other things buried in them.
No dector. I guess hope for the best till I can get 1.
My truck has spun a rod bearing, so it is out of commission for a while. Got trailer and a mini van to move logs. Is the best way to get them on the trailer a 12 volt wench? That's what I was gonna use on bumper of truck. Thinking of mounting one on the front of my trailer.

I remember reading about sawmill operating in Slovakia, trees coming from certain areas were always difficult to mill because the WWII rolled through there in 1945, lot of bullets and steel splinters.

As far as mercury, I played with it in school too, nowadays people think it kills on touch. LOL.

No dector. I guess hope for the best till I can get 1.
My truck has spun a rod bearing, so it is out of commission for a while. Got trailer and a mini van to move logs. Is the best way to get them on the trailer a 12 volt wench? That's what I was gonna use on bumper of truck. Thinking of mounting one on the front of my trailer.

A strong magnet on a rope might work for detecting steel in trees, but considering the cost is only a chain and the risk is pretty low, I can understand not bothering. I use a come-along, round wood for rollers, and levers to move logs when I can't use my tractor. You might want to get a cant hook or peavey or at least a pickaroon. A winch would be nice, but in my case, the tractor makes it unnecessary. Now if I put the winch on the tractor, I probably wouldn't get stuck in the swamp so much.

A strong magnet on a rope might work for detecting steel in trees
Magnetic strength drops off VERY rapidly with distance so unless the steel was just a few 16th's under the surface it won't show up.
Metal detectors are much more sensitive.
Mine can pick up a paper staple under about an 1/8" of wood, a 1" nail under about an 1" of wood, a Tek Screw under about 2" of wood and a 1/4" bolt under about 3"
One problem with metal detectors is remembering to use them.
Most soft iron bolts/nails/screws are not serious but hardened steel like Tek Screws can make a real mess of a chain.

Drug a big pine out of the woods next to my house over the weekend. It's about 18" x 36'. Lumber and fire wood. Left the top in the woods, gonna go back for it no good for lumber but will be good at the fire pit this summer.

Just scored some farm land that needs to be cleared! Not sure how many acres, but I get first crack at the good stuff. Pin and red oak. Sweet gum, poplar, pine maple, sassafras. That's just what I seen from the corner of the lot.... I'm excited! I could cut from now till nex spring and not get it all.

Latest posts

Back