Need info on Stihl 045

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihldoc

Analog old guy in a digital world
Reaction score
I recently got a Stihl 045 saw in a trade. I have been in this industry for 20+ years and don't think I've run across one of these before. This saw needs at least a new piston- it is damaged- and whatever other seals or fuel system work it would need to prevent this problem from happening again. My question is: what is this saw's reputation? Is it worth considering repairing it? I make my living repairing saws and have the knowledge and special tools to properly repair it, but is it worth it. Or would I just be better off parting it out- I really don't need another saw.

You may want to do a search on this site for posts on 045 and 056 (similar saws that share many components).

New parts are hard to find for the 045, and electronic ignitions are expensive used. If it has points, that's easy to fix though.

If you don't really need it, don't fix it it. It can get expensive quickly, and when working you get maybe 150-200 if it's in decent shape.

Last edited:
The hardest items to sort on 045 are crank bearings and seals. These are some of the few bits that are totally different from 056.

I would do a pressure and vacuum test on the crankcase. If all is OK then put on a replacement P & C. If not, part it out. Lots of bits can be used for 056 rebuilds.

I say rebuild it. Of course, I'm a little biased:hmm3grin2orange: Mine's the Super with 87cc. That's bigger than the smallest 056.

160558630-M.jpg

177968542-M.jpg

176063479-M.jpg

Back