Need Info on Unimogs....Should I get one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatliffLogging

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking a a unimog 2005 model as a crew unit. I was thinking it would make a good winching platform and tool hauler. My only thing is do you know of anyone out there with one who is using it and a logging unit or whatever? Should I go for the removable three point mount 3500lbs grapple loader? 28ft reach....I have dealt with international's for heavy trucks but the unimog seems like it could be a very good move....I need input on this item though...

I have never seen one in the logging industry but have seen them in just about everything else. I think it would do good in logging. You would definatley have a very hard time getting it stuck!! MB makes great vehicles and they have the absolute best 4wd systems on the planet! Look at the G-500 that thing can climb the side of a Barn!!

Thanks,
I have seen them running snow blowers but that is about it.....My dealer(yeah like he would tell the truth) says that it will last 20 years of everyday work....This is what is drawing me in. I have been thru 2 98 jeeps as crew units and now 3 03's....Jeeps are great but man I feel like I am paying for the dealers kids college fund....Parts, repairs, roofs being cut off, lost 4 saws one day at a walmart parking lot....soft tops are not high on my list anymore.

What kind of Warranty does that typoe of Benz come with? I know a few guys who use them as crew trucks with a flat bed on them for hauling supplies and that. I also know one guy who uses his with a shallow dump body for moving tools and rock/sand to remote parts for jobs he does like irrigation systems for golf courses....uses the 'mog for getting way out there. I havent heard any of them EVER get stuck one guy likes his better than his new 04 rubicon when it comes to trailing!

Buy a UniMog. Even if you never use it for work those things will put you in such a great state of mind you will prob. live an extra 10 years :blob2:
Chicks will come running to you, your hair will never fall out, and you will prob. win the Lottery as well.
(I really like Unimogs)
Frans

Unimog

I have an older Unimog that has full locking diffs and a 3pt hitch with pto that we use for brush hogging. The older ones are underpowered but they are very verstile. The main problem is that the machine does nothing well. More for a Euro market where everything is close.

Eric

Post a question about it with the pommy thread in the commercial tree work area, alot use mogs. I have spent a bit of time with mogs in the army, great wagons but some were underpowered (but very good on fuel considering their size). There isnt much you cant run off a mog, love the pto's front and rear.

I havent played with the newer mogs but the older ones are hard to beat for all around use.You'd be amazed at where you can go and get back from with those beast.
I think there is an attachment for almost any use out there,one of the most versatile pieces of equipment out there.

Unimog U-500 User

Hey there - we run our new Mog every day in our service business - we now rep several European implement manufacturers here in North America for almost every type of service you can imagine. our site is still under construction (you can refresh homepage for more pics): www.csroads.com
Happy to answer any questions, etc. Gardiner

With the price of a new mog I could build two maybe three more rental units on my place....I think I am going to have to stick with jeeps. I wish I could get a mog but these guys want $90,000 at Freightliner of Knoxville,TN. You can get one for half that if you take it without crawl gear, three points front and rear, on board air, and hydros. I need all that stuff if I got one plus a grapple loader.

But you would OWN the mog.

Rent is a loosing investment normally. Plus the braggin rights.

What does 90k getcha? New, grapple included? Any specs?

My little lake front rentals do very good...I get $800 a week and I seem to keep them rented 20 or so weeks a year. The first ones I built ran just shy of $20k each so the are winners in my book.

Oh yeah as for bragging rights. I will have to stick with having a H1 and a XLR as personal cars...I am married so pulling poon hasn't been high on my list in a while.

LOL, And here I thought you had a wealthy wife.I'd love to have one myself(Unimog or wealthy wife).Someday,they really are incredible vehicles.

Back