Need Info on Unimogs....Should I get one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish my wife was wealthy....I could get out of bed later goto bed early...not work weekends...buy newer equipment more often...Life would be great...But instead I bust my ass...own a 40 unit trailer park...a 8plex...6 lakefront rentals...a logging company...and I still have times when money can be tight. All I have ever known is work...

Everything I have requires more time energy and money then I feel they should....One day when all the payments are squared away on the 8plex and the trailer park I will be able to lay low and enjoy life more.

I have months mainly when I am under half rented at the park and the apartment I have to use my bread and butter(logging) money to cover payments....

Unimog Pricing

If you can get a U-500 with crawler gear, almost full hydro package, lifts front and rear (remember no pto on rear of US U-500), etc. for $90K, buy it and resell!! The base price for the U-500 plain-jane is now $95K - with those add-ons, more like $120K right now. I don't think the Ken. dealer is very active so I'd be a little wary of that.

For your application, I think working gears would be more than sufficient. Crawlers (crawler #1 goes 240' per hour) are more for snowblowing or asphalt cutting than anything else. For you app. I don't think the 500 would make sense as it would be too large. You should look at an older mog with rear logging winch and sprag - these are pretty common. The road speed of 70MPH (U-500) won't be there, but with fast axles you may attain 55MPH. This would have a better rear 3pt. setup and the "AG" series would have all the pto's, etc. that you may require. It would also pull one of those loggin trailers with lift that you see behind farm tractors - and use the hydro to power as well. See the attached.

With the 500 - you may wish to look at expanding your operation into other contract services to fully utilize the unit - that is what we've done here.

Happy to help if I can. Gardiner

I am not sure if you know this but freightliner(MB) are the only people who sale mogs new in the states. They say $90K for what I want....I am going to have to go with that. I have seen all kinds of people pricing them all kinds of ways. Since it's a Diamler-Benz product I am going to go with the benz dealer(freightliner) for info about costs.

Unimog N. America

I know them all too well (corporate and dealers) - I was one of thier first customers. I also sell and rep my implements to their N. American dealer network. Daimler Chryseler hand selected 51 Freightliner dealers in N. America to rep the Mog within exclusive territories. Of these, some have been successful, others have dropped their dealership. The Mog is a hard concept to sell - not like buying a regular old dump truck.

You'd be hard pressed to find even a cab-chassis for 90K right now. I know of one 2002 stock truck that is pretty bare that you may be able to find for this. Nothing against the Kentucky Dealer but they have not been active in selling this unit at all - be very carefull about what they are telling you as it doesn't seem right. Call Tom Blackwell dealer for PA, Maryland, Delaware and Virginia (Freightliner of Harrisburg) (717) 564-6151 for any questions, he's their top selling dealer.

Good luck, Gardiner

Latest posts

Back