Need math help , for my firewood winch build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I see now the ratio is split in half... I still need to go back into my machine design book and see if there is an engineering explination...

Anyways just a thought about your winch, if you want to keep a lower ratio then dont weld the one hub. Instead, weld the spider gears together and make it a solid axle. You will get your lower gearing and have a functioning brake you could use...

weld the spider gears together and make it a solid axle. You will get your lower gearing and have a functioning brake you could use
then he would have to engage the pto to operate the winch...not really a problem with something that has pto engagement controlled with the clutch of the tractor, but his is electric with a switch so its just on or off (no real control)
I would keep the diff open and if you want a holding brake (I would) just add another rotor/caliper to the input side of the diff (pto shaft)

my biggest concern with this is his wanting to use 1/4" cable...way too much power for that cable, and being soo small it wont take long to break/fray the cable if it were to get dragged against a rock or something abrasive

I appreciate your input guys.
The only reason I want to use the 1/4" is because I have a 500' spool of it.
The Igland http://www.novare.no/tmp.doc/mereo/ssb/PRJ-7008053/000044/Prod_1010494.htm winch uses 8mm which is close to 1/4"
The cable I have is very good quality aircraft wire rope with a breaking strength of nearly 5k lbs.
If it breaks on a regular basis I will buy something heavier.
Don't forget that I will be controlling the in feed with a brake on the opposing side, that should alleviate some of the breakage.
and the Farmi only uses 5/16" wire rope
As well as Fransgard.
Of course these are their smaller winches rated for between 17 and 40 hp

I appreciate your input guys.
The only reason I want to use the 1/4" is because I have a 500' spool of it.
The Igland http://www.novare.no/tmp.doc/mereo/ssb/PRJ-7008053/000044/Prod_1010494.htm winch uses 8mm which is close to 1/4"
The cable I have is very good quality aircraft wire rope with a breaking strength of nearly 5k lbs.
If it breaks on a regular basis I will buy something heavier.
Don't forget that I will be controlling the in feed with a brake on the opposing side, that should alleviate some of the breakage.
and the Farmi only uses 5/16" wire rope
As well as Fransgard.
Of course these are their smaller winches rated for between 17 and 40 hp
My Norse 400 uses 3/8 wire rope. I think with the HP of your tractor I would use a larger wire rope. Rated 9000 pound pull.

I would say, since you happen to have a roll of that 1/4" cable, try it. The nice part of using a differential brake is that it is very controllable. if something is going awry it goes to neutral very fast. You also get (to a drgree) a variable speed drive. 150 feet a minute is really not that fast (1.7 mph). Don't tie onto anything really really monsterous, and get a choker chain set right. Or get a cone for the lead. don't be in line with that cable! set it up like the old school jammer and use a 20' rope tied to the engage brake.

There are more dangerous (logging isn't safe anyway) ways to improvise... I was skidding with a 1958 cj5 and rolled it twice. lots of fun.... yikes.

Back to line speed,

Try the cheap way out if you want. Weld or install an another anchor point on the winch mount, load 225 or so feet of wire rope on the drum, (more or less if you want), and stick a pulley block in the line cutting the speed approximately in half. 225 ft should allow you to get out to 100 ft with the block installed. Now you have the option of a high range and low range, with the block in or out of the line, and you can still alter the line speed in either case by adjusting the prime mover speed. A decent pulley block for 1/4 inch wire rope should be in the $25 to $50. Go larger diameter on the pulley block if you can, it will put less bending stress on the wire rope.

Additional advantages is less rope will be on the drum during the winching operation so the line under tension won't be cutting down through and into the lower layers damaging the rope. There will be less load on the wire rope so the 1/4 inch will be less susceptible to breaking. Not that you'll need it, but as you'll be on the lower layers the line pull will be up and the speed down.

Didn't crunch any numbers, but with this setup you probably be able to run in the 35 to 40 ft/min up to 160 ft/min bare drum, no load either using the block or not.

Take it FWIW,

Take Care

Going all the way back to the first calculations that showed 157 fpm cable speed I get about 3.3 mph, a brisk walking speed. If you get there by locking up one side of a differential you are talking about twice that fast. Do you really want a log to come at you at that speed?

Back