Need Mimosa Advice...How To Get It Gone For Good!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Reaction score
Folks, I know this topic may need to be in another thread possibly but I wanna give it a shot here...I'm sure I can get some good advice and will move it accordingly if necessary.

Here's my dilemma...got two mimosa trees that lie between my right hand side property privacy fence, (about 80 ft deep) and my neighbors privacy fence running parallel to it about 12" away... area of 'no mans land.' Come to find out, was a pissin contest between the previous owner of my house now and the knucklehead neighbors next door (and you can't getta Dixie cup of common sense outta both of em put together). Both trees are about 8-10" in diameter... I have taken it upon myself to cut them with a chainsaw at 6' high level, privacy fence height, every year. Tired of doin it and then have to use pruning shears throughout the summer to keep the limbs at bay. I spray this area with brush killer mixed with weed killer mixed with grass killer in a sprayer and it works fine to keep nothing growing in there throughout the summer...it acts like a steroid for the mimosas, Lol.

Here's my game plan for the mimosas...I'm gonna bump my fence boards off with a 2x4 block, knock my bottom framework 2x4 off, in both places, get to where I can chainsaw em, as close to the ground as possible. I cannot dig them and try to burn them, I've got a 4x4 post right next to one, neighbors 4x4 next to the other. I wanna drill the stumps as deep as I can with the biggest bits I've got...I've heard a dozen 'tricks' of salt, diesel fuel, combination paste of, all sorts of different stuff...then again I've heard/read that won't do the trick as well.

I'm all ears folks, I'm sure some of you have been there and done that with these mimosas...I wanna get em, and get em gone, and be done with em. Thanks for your advice/replies.

Drilling the hole down the stump seems good, then fill it with tree killin chemical, and dang if I remember the name now. Someone here will know.

Use Tordon RTU on the stump. Just cut the tree off and spray the stump with Tordon.

10-4. Will try that route. Reading a little further at lunchtime, seems to be the most recommended route, then undiluted Roundup as an alternative as mentioned by Old Goat. Most say just brush on, some say a step further and drill holes. I'm sure I'll convince myself to drill holes as an added measure. Gonna cover the stump after treatment as well with a little roof flashing or something to the effect, screwed down on top of it. I read the 'cover' theory helps as well. Thx for the input.

Back