need more power for a 660mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I run a 660 with a 36in bar and 3/8 full skip chain. I have been cutting up alot of larger old growth and this saw just doesnt have the power. Does anyone make performance mufflers for this, just to get some more power out of it. I wished i would have sprung for the 880, but i'll see what i can do with this one first. Any help would be much appreciated.
The trees are anywhere from small 24inchers to largest so far 8 1/2 ft across at the stump.

Open up the muffler to approx. 85% of the exhaust port opening. (don't forget to re-adjust carb settings) Do a search on here for muffler mods...I'm sure you'll find one regarding an 066.

If you don't want to carve up your muffler, which does work, you could also look into a dual port muffler available from you dealer, for about $28. My buddy just got one on his 660, and it really livened the already big saw up some more. You'll still have to readjust your carb like nj mentioned. klickitatsacket, here in WA does saws, and muffler upgrades. He's a sponsor on this site, and you can also find him through ebay. Good to deal with, in fact, I'm gonna send him my muffler from my 361 whenever I get around to it.

It's not very often you hear of someone wanting more than a 660 has to offer, but if you decide to up to an 880, get ahold of me-I'm over in Port Angeles, and might be interested if the price is right-I need another saw like I need a hole in the head!

Take care all,
Jeff

Just perhaps that 660 is not putting out all it should be, 660's are real powerful saws.

Have you complained to your dealer and had him check it over for a possible unknown ailment and low power.

What do you call larger old growth, anything special elevation wise ?

lobo's questions

The saw is not that old, i have run about fifteen tanks through it. My buddy here in buckley has ran it and it runs as strong as a 660 should. (he owns a saw shop here). Basically me running this 66 is like most guys running a 29. I'm 6'7 and 300lbs so throwing this thing around all day isnt that big of a deal. Just cant ever have enough power..thats all.
As far as the sticks that i'm falling, right now i have a contract for 300acres up here in northwest washington for old growth firs. sizes from tiny 24inchers to the largest one about 13ft across...(saving that one for last.. :)

bigjayfromwa said:
sizes from tiny 24inchers to the largest one about 13ft across...(saving that one for last.. :)

13 feet in diameter, you should take pictures before cutting it down and posting them here.

Not that many trees that size left around.

Back