Need Some Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zogger's right, she needs the heat. Or maybe she doesn't, maybe the guy just had a firewood jones.

But I can tell you one thing, if I left my wife, took up with another woman out of state and left ANY of my crap in my house, I would have to just write it off 'cause my wife would dispose of it with extreme prejudice. Not saying it's the best thing to do, just saying that's the deal.

Life is too short for problems. If it smells like sour grapes it's sour grapes...Don't eat the sour grapes! Move on to a job without problems!

Wow, what a turn this thread has taken. The OP didn’t have questions or concerns about the ethics, morality, or human integrity of accepting the gift, he had already made his mind up on that… and that’s the way it should be. Everyone has their own moral code they live by; mine and yours will probably disagree more often than it will agree… but that doesn’t make one right and the other wrong. Pushing your personal ethical/moral beliefs on the OP (or me) puts you in the same class as those bible-thumpers that knock on your door every other month… TO CLAIM YOURS IS OF A HIGHER STANDARD THAN MINE MAKES YOU A SANCTIMONIOUS S.O.B.! The OP asked a simple question, “If she gives it to me would the husband have any legal recourse against me to get it back?” And the simple answer is, NO the husband does not have any legal recourse against you.

Now, as far as the “What If’s?… Let’s say the situation was twisted at a bit of a different angle… Let’s say the wife had run off with another stud and the husband just wanted to dispose of the wood before the wife (and her lawyer) took him to the cleaners. Would you still be asking those same “what if’s? Would you be thinking…
What if the real story is the husband had a fight with the wife because she buys too many chainsaws and spends too much time cutting. So he says I'll fix her and he decides to give her wood away??'
I’m betting you’d load that wood in a half heartbeat. I’m betting you wouldn’t be asking those same “what if’s? Why? Because he’s a man and she’s a women? Because men are more trustworthy? Because women lie? Or because……….? Doesn’t matter why, IT STILL MAKES YOU A HYPOCRITE!!! And it really raises questions about your motives and morality… Guess what? My personal moral code won’t let me be hypocritical! …or judge the morality of someone else!

Maybe the guy doesn’t own a chainsaw, has never cut a stick of wood in his life… maybe he bought the wood (using their joint money) to use in the fireplace twice a year (Christmas and New Years). Y’all are making unfounded assumptions.

In a perfect world, we would know all the facts… we would know both sides of every story. But this ain’t a perfect world… is it? Most of the time we just have to go with what we do know… and gut feeling.
  1. The wife says he ran off with some hussy to another state.
  2. The husband isn’t around. (That fits her story… yeah, there could be another explanation… but it still fits.)
  3. The husband’s buddy is trying to sell the wood for the husband. (Again, that fits her story… if the husband was in-state he’d be selling it himself.)
  4. The wife readily admits wanting to spite the “scumbag” by giving the wood away first. (Doesn’t appear she’s holding anything back about her story.)
  5. There isn’t anything (from the OP) to indicate she’s being untruthful or deceitful.
And I’m bettin’ the OP knows more than what he put in his post… which also weighed in on his decision of ethical matters.

You have no way of knowing she needs the wood for heat… maybe they just have a fire pit in the back yard. Maybe they did a lot of camping and took wood with them. Maybe it’s just a fireplace designed for aesthetics only and she has absolutely no clue how to use it. (Maybe the OP knows the answer but didn’t see the relevance of posting it.)

Maybe I should “ lighten up” a bit… But also, some of y’all need to climb down off that high-horse you’re sitting on.

Wow, what a turn this thread has taken. The OP didn’t have questions or concerns about the ethics, morality, or human integrity of accepting the gift, he had already made his mind up on that… and that’s the way it should be. Everyone has their own moral code they live by; mine and yours will probably disagree more often than it will agree… but that doesn’t make one right and the other wrong. Pushing your personal ethical/moral beliefs on the OP (or me) puts you in the same class as those bible-thumpers that knock on your door every other month… TO CLAIM YOURS IS OF A HIGHER STANDARD THAN MINE MAKES YOU A SANCTIMONIOUS S.O.B.! The OP asked a simple question, “If she gives it to me would the husband have any legal recourse against me to get it back?” And the simple answer is, NO the husband does not have any legal recourse against you.

Now, as far as the “What If’s?… Let’s say the situation was twisted at a bit of a different angle… Let’s say the wife had run off with another stud and the husband just wanted to dispose of the wood before the wife (and her lawyer) took him to the cleaners. Would you still be asking those same “what if’s? Would you be thinking…
What if the real story is the husband had a fight with the wife because she buys too many chainsaws and spends too much time cutting. So he says I'll fix her and he decides to give her wood away??'
I’m betting you’d load that wood in a half heartbeat. I’m betting you wouldn’t be asking those same “what if’s? Why? Because he’s a man and she’s a women? Because men are more trustworthy? Because women lie? Or because……….? Doesn’t matter why, IT STILL MAKES YOU A HYPOCRITE!!! And it really raises questions about your motives and morality… Guess what? My personal moral code won’t let me be hypocritical! …or judge the morality of someone else!

Maybe the guy doesn’t own a chainsaw, has never cut a stick of wood in his life… maybe he bought the wood (using their joint money) to use in the fireplace twice a year (Christmas and New Years). Y’all are making unfounded assumptions.

In a perfect world, we would know all the facts… we would know both sides of every story. But this ain’t a perfect world… is it? Most of the time we just have to go with what we do know… and gut feeling.
  2. The husband isn’t around. (That fits her story… yeah, there could be another explanation… but it still fits.)
  3. The husband’s buddy is trying to sell the wood for the husband. (Again, that fits her story… if the husband was in-state he’d be selling it himself.)
  4. The wife readily admits wanting to spite the “scumbag” by giving the wood away first. (Doesn’t appear she’s holding anything back about her story.)
  5. There isn’t anything (from the OP) to indicate she’s being untruthful or deceitful.
And I’m bettin’ the OP knows more than what he put in his post… which also weighed in on his decision of ethical matters.

You have no way of knowing she needs the wood for heat… maybe they just have a fire pit in the back yard. Maybe they did a lot of camping and took wood with them. Maybe it’s just a fireplace designed for aesthetics only and she has absolutely no clue how to use it. (Maybe the OP knows the answer but didn’t see the relevance of posting it.)

Maybe I should “ lighten up” a bit… But also, some of y’all need to climb down off that high-horse you’re sitting on.[/QUOTE

:monkey:

Run Forest run.

Life is too short to get involved in drama like that over firewood.

Maybe I should “ lighten up” a bit… But also, some of y’all need to climb down off that high-horse you’re sitting on.[/QUOTE

:monkey:

What high horse? Not getting between two people who are feuding is just practical. It just ain't worth it for some firewood. As to it being legal or not, as you said, you really don't know one way or the other, hell could be not even their wood! Someone on vacation gets their wood sold out from under them. Or in this case, given away.

Too many variables, and even if the story is 100% accurate it is still bad mojo.

Just because someone has access to some object, doesn't mean they own it. Lots of stolen crap gets sold, every day.

Now, realistically, he could just go get the wood and nothing would happen. But for me, I just wouldn't do it, on shaky legal grounds, thinking the woman was being too emotional and not thinking straight, whatever. At a minimum, if the story is accurate, and she wants to get rid of the wood, she has to start thinking about additional income now that she is in a one income family, or maybe no income, if she wasn't working before. Why give it away then, when she could sell it? See, that's the stupid part. And to stop some brother in law from getting it, easy, he goes on the property, she calls the cops, that dude don't live there, he gets arrested, trespass and theft. She doesn't need to quick give it away if the BIL is coming for it, just say NO and call the cops when he shows up.

You guys are hilarious. There ain't no drama here except for what you've fabricated in your runaway imaginations. It's her wood. She reached out to the OP and offered to give it away for free. End of story. To take that scenario and extrapolate it into an episode of Jerry Springer complete with chair throwing is beyond hysterical.

What high horse? Not getting between two people who are feuding is just practical. It just ain't worth it for some firewood. As to it being legal or not, as you said, you really don't know one way or the other, hell could be not even their wood! Someone on vacation gets their wood sold out from under them. Or in this case, given away.

Too many variables, and even if the story is 100% accurate it is still bad mojo.

Just because someone has access to some object, doesn't mean they own it. Lots of stolen crap gets sold, every day.

Now, realistically, he could just go get the wood and nothing would happen. But for me, I just wouldn't do it, on shaky legal grounds, thinking the woman was being too emotional and not thinking straight, whatever. At a minimum, if the story is accurate, and she wants to get rid of the wood, she has to start thinking about additional income now that she is in a one income family, or maybe no income, if she wasn't working before. Why give it away then, when she could sell it? See, that's the stupid part. And to stop some brother in law from getting it, easy, he goes on the property, she calls the cops, that dude don't live there, he gets arrested, trespass and theft. She doesn't need to quick give it away if the BIL is coming for it, just say NO and call the cops when he shows up.

Zogger you must have broke out the good stuff to smoke today. "When she could sell it", "Bil", "If the story is accurate" where are you getting this crap? From your previous post "She needs the wood to heat her home". The only thing that makes sense to me is YOU must be the scumbag that run off with the other chick. Read my original post almost none of what you refer to in the above post is in my post. All of the information that I gave came from a phone call and one visit. Judging by your post you know a HECK of a lot more about this situation then I do. But seeings how you have this all worked out in your lets everybody hug and get along world I have decided to give you the full story. Here it is.

I got a call from a lady that wanted to give away some firewood. When I went to pick it up I was given a story about her husband running off with another chick and this was a way to get back at him. While loading the wood her husband and his buddy showed up to contest ownership. After I kicked the snot out of both of them and set them on their way with their tails between their legs I finished loading up my truck. I worked up a pretty good thirst loading the wood so the lady invited me into the house for a beer. While setting at the table she made the comment that she would not be opposed to trading wood for wood if you know what I mean. (Same lady in my avatar) thinking it wouldn't be right to take the wood with no payment (I wouldn't be able to sleep at night) I went a head and traded one log for a load of logs. We finished the deal and both parties seemed satisfied I pulled out my paper stating the fact that we in deed trade wood for wood and had her sign it. As I opened the door to head home with my loot I was startled by 4 cop cars in the driveway with all of the cops guns drawn pointing at me. Apparently the 2 guys whose behinds I kicked went whining to the police. After being strip searched (Looking for concealed wood) and cuffed I pleaded with the doughnut eater to retrieve the piece of paper from my pocket. After reading the signed agreement they all agreed that I had been wronged and could not apologize enough. In the end the cops felt bad enough that they all loaded their trunks with wood and help me haul it home. The End!

I just knew I couldn't get anything by you ZOGGER. By your posts you just knew there was more to the story then I was letting on didn't you?!! I just came from firing off a letter to Pent House because we all know all of their stories are just to good to be TRUE!
Finally do you want to know what the real butt kicker here is? I just wasted 15 minutes of my life typing this up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE READ FINAL CHAPTER POST FOR REST OF STORY

Last edited:
Hey that ain't my quote...for the record I have no dog in this fight...just stirred the pot a little.

Kinda of funny the hubabalu this thread is causing! :laugh:

PS: don't you think we should have a feature that lets us click on and enlarge everyone's avatar!!

Last edited:
"more porridge please sir ?"

Is there anyone on this whine thread with COJONES !!!???:embarrassed3::embarrassed3:

Take the damn wood....or not.

Whiskey Tango Golf, all you whines need to man up and NOT RAISE YOUR TINY HANDs TO ASK PERMISSION TO PEE ??? "May I pretty please take the wood on the road ?" "Please, may I take driftwood that blows onshore? " May I ? Do I deserve such largesse ? Please. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Whew......................got it off my chest. I need to be more assertive.:msp_confused:

You worry way too much… and ask way too many questions, sometimes ignorance of the specific details can be a blessing.

The wood is not “half his”… the wood belongs to them jointly and one does not have to ask the other before disposing of joint property (just as your wife doesn’t need your permission to withdrawal money from a joint account). When and if a divorce/settlement ever comes, the judge may (or may not) award him half the wood at that time (but only if one of them still has possession). If neither party has possession at time of divorce/settlement it is a non-issue… the law can never require you to pay for something that was legally given to you.

The truth is, it’s only firewood… it ain’t like it’s his pride-and-joy classic Corvette.
She has possession… so the wood is hers do with as she wishes… and she’s gonna’ give it away no matter if you take it or not.
She has given it to you… so load it up and take possession… that makes it yours.
If the husband or his buddy contacts you (doubtful), be nice but firm, deliberate and direct… look ‘em straight in the eye and tell them the wood is yours, it was given to you, and if they have a problem with that they’ll need to take it up with the person that gave it to you (the wife).
If the two of them (husband and wife) work-it-out and ask for the wood back (doubtful on the first count and double doubtful on the second), just be a nice guy and tell them to come get it (they’ll probably never show-up for it). Unless of course, you’ve already burned it… then tell them you burned it.

The only other advice I’d give you is to not get in a pissin’ contest on her (his) property… if the husband, or his buddy, show up (doubtful) while you’re loading… don’t say a single word, don’t even open your mouth to breath… just look ‘em straight in the eye for a couple of seconds, then walk to your vehicles driver door, climb in and drive away. If after he/they leave, and if the wood is still available… she’ll call ya’ and let ya’ know.

Notice I say, “look ‘em straight in the eye” a couple of times… that’s important, it shows you will not be intimidated and you firmly believe you’re doing nothing wrong (and you’re not doing anything wrong)...

That is the weirdest thing I have read all year...

Need some advice? Move on.
There's always 3 sides to every story. There is no dignity in getting involved and taking that wood.
There'll always be more to be had cleanly.
My $ .02

Latest posts

Back