Need Some Beta on this Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
easy on vermeer. I got issues with vertical rollers but in my area i can't beat the service. The 2100 with the horizontal rollers is pretty bad ass. It just keeps the spectators in awe. We bought the first one in our part of the country and still get warranty work. I noticed a few improvments on it that I personally told the egineers could be done with out harming their safety features but have'nt even got a thank you. still got six of them yellow machines and don't plan on changing. morbark left a bad taste because of the dealer in the area. I know the last one we ran was a 2400 with 175 hp and seemed a little weak

You really liked the 2100 Vermeer? We tried to make it work as they are the closest dealer. But even with the higher of there HP it still took to long to process the big stuff we had a line at the machine. We ended up with a 1990 and a 280xp. They process material in half the time maybe more without holding a button to over ride the bar.

But we demand a lot out of a chipper. If your not doing clearing with it in a residential setting I guess it would rip.

Last edited:
I regularly check CA Tree Equipment as someone suggested. They do have another chipper I am considering. Used Chippers in California: 2003 Vermeer BC1800A Hydraulic Drum Chipper in California $20,000. It is $7000 more than the Morbark and I'm not even sure if it is CARB certifiable. I am not aware of a Morbark dealer near here, but there is a Vermeer dealer about 1.5 hours from me. I already have a relationship with the Vermeer dealer since I run one of their stump grinders. I have to say, the local rental company has 2 Vermeer chippers and I have not been impressed with them. One is a 6" and the other is a 9". Neither of them will pull material in worth a damn. This has completely turned me off to Vermeers, but maybe this is just due to lack of maintenance on their equipment.
I asked the guy with the Morbark a bunch of questions about his chipper via email and he just referred me to the shop that maintains the machine. It would be nice if I could just use these 2 chippers side by side and see which one I like better.
All that being said, I'm going through a divorce right now, so maybe I should just go buy a brand new Bandit 1890 and take a one time right off on it so my income looks lower and I can keep my alimony payments down. I'd rather make payments to Bandit than my ex-wife. :hmm3grin2orange:

I regularly check CA Tree Equipment as someone suggested. They do have another chipper I am considering. Used Chippers in California: 2003 Vermeer BC1800A Hydraulic Drum Chipper in California $20,000. It is $7000 more than the Morbark and I'm not even sure if it is CARB certifiable. I am not aware of a Morbark dealer near here, but there is a Vermeer dealer about 1.5 hours from me. I already have a relationship with the Vermeer dealer since I run one of their stump grinders. I have to say, the local rental company has 2 Vermeer chippers and I have not been impressed with them. One is a 6" and the other is a 9". Neither of them will pull material in worth a damn. This has completely turned me off to Vermeers, but maybe this is just due to lack of maintenance on their equipment.
I asked the guy with the Morbark a bunch of questions about his chipper via email and he just referred me to the shop that maintains the machine. It would be nice if I could just use these 2 chippers side by side and see which one I like better.
All that being said, I'm going through a divorce right now, so maybe I should just go buy a brand new Bandit 1890 and take a one time right off on it so my income looks lower and I can keep my alimony payments down. I'd rather make payments to Bandit than my ex-wife. :hmm3grin2orange:

The 1800 is a nice chipper, depending on how many hous it has on it. Let us know what ya get! Yeah the 6&9" chippers are toys compared to anything bigger then a 12"

I have sold Morbaks for the last 12 Years. They are good machines but have no dealer support. I have been with Bandit now for 2 years. Matt Bauer is one resource. Im the sales Manager for Cal-Line Equipment here in Sacramento CA. If you are able to get me the serial number, i can tell you how that machine is equipped! Sometimes the auto feed valves develop a little groove where the magnet slides on the spool. Loosen the magnet, and turn it 20 degrees. It should work then. If its wiring but dont be afraid of that. These systems are not very hard. If you buy it, run it down to my yard and i will help you with it. If you would like to see a Bandit i can help you with that. Im not sales-schmucking you. I just know those machines very well!

Chad Kelley
Cal-Line Eq Sacramento
916-564-1015 office
[email protected]

You really liked the 2100 Vermeer? We tried to make it work as they are the closest dealer. But even with the higher of there HP it still took to long to process the big stuff we had a line at the machine. We ended up with a 1990 and a 280xp. They process material in half the time maybe more without holding a button to over ride the bar.

But we demand a lot out of a chipper. If your not doing clearing with it in a residential setting I guess it would rip.[/QUOyTE]

Matt,
What kind of material are you processing where how often the auto feed kicks in?
In most applications its not how fast a chipper will process straight wood that makes you more productive, rather its the chipper that will handle the gnarliest crotches with the least amount of cutting.
I was surprised to hear u say that about the 2100 because I thought it was a very efficient machine in the land clearing setting feed by a log truck. If blasted 110 yard chip vans packed full and flew thru the wood.
We wouldn't consider it because they won't put a grapple on it, and wasn't impressed with how it handled the really ugly stuff.
With crane work your setting the tops intact behind the chipper. With landclearing by the time the material gets to the chipper its been dropped and dragged, many of the branches get broken before it even gets to the feed wheels.
have you gotten more into land clearing?

I have sold Morbaks for the last 12 Years. They are good machines but have no dealer support. I have been with Bandit now for 2 years. Matt Bauer is one resource. Im the sales Manager for Cal-Line Equipment here in Sacramento CA. If you are able to get me the serial number, i can tell you how that machine is equipped! Sometimes the auto feed valves develop a little groove where the magnet slides on the spool. Loosen the magnet, and turn it 20 degrees. It should work then. If its wiring but dont be afraid of that. These systems are not very hard. If you buy it, run it down to my yard and i will help you with it. If you would like to see a Bandit i can help you with that. Im not sales-schmucking you. I just know those machines very well!

Chad Kelley
Cal-Line Eq Sacramento
916-564-1015 office
[email protected]

Welcome Chad!
Ive been down to cal-line in Sac. its a very good place to get parts (for my bandit) and service was great, I wouldnt hesitate to go back!!!

woodsman44

Welcome Chad!
Ive been down to cal-line in Sac. its a very good place to get parts (for my bandit) and service was great, I wouldnt hesitate to go back!!!

Thank you very much! Ive been cleaning up the place and getting parts and service going hard along with Scott my service manager. Its finally a full service location for all makes and models! We are going strong! Come by again sometime and ill buy you a cup of coffee! I think you will be impressed since that last time you were here!!!

Chad Kelley
Cal-Line Equipment Sacramento
Sales Manager
1430 Auburn Blvd
Sacramento CA 95815
(916)270-5849 Cell
(916)564-1974 Fax
(916)564-1015 Office
[email protected]

But we demand a lot out of a chipper. If your not doing clearing with it in a residential setting I guess it would rip.[/QUOyTE]

Matt,
What kind of material are you processing where how often the auto feed kicks in?
In most applications its not how fast a chipper will process straight wood that makes you more productive, rather its the chipper that will handle the gnarliest crotches with the least amount of cutting.
I was surprised to hear u say that about the 2100 because I thought it was a very efficient machine in the land clearing setting feed by a log truck. If blasted 110 yard chip vans packed full and flew thru the wood.
We wouldn't consider it because they won't put a grapple on it, and wasn't impressed with how it handled the really ugly stuff.
With crane work your setting the tops intact behind the chipper. With landclearing by the time the material gets to the chipper its been dropped and dragged, many of the branches get broken before it even gets to the feed wheels.
I would rather climb 200 30 ft pears a day then do land clearing , what a thankless job , and yea I know I did it for 3 straight years up to my ankles in mud daily cut bruised beaten all the time , the only fun we had was the occasional big screen TV we could see run through the chipper and shoot sparks like the 4 th of July LOL ! Sometimes I wonder though with prices around here averaging 2/2500 a acre how can it even be worth it !

Matt,

We do a good bit of clearing for Mark West, they are a big compressor station installation company that pumps gas from place to place. Sometimes they need a three mile road cut through the brush. The site we are working on now is in Ohio and we filled 18 45ft containers so far. Any of the drum chippers in my opinion don't have enough throwing power to pack a 45 ft container.

You can do it but your not gonna get a truly full load. Even our 1900 bandit leaves some space at top and its running a disk. Depends on if your chipping log or brush tho also, we use a 280xp with 250hp if i remember correctly and the 1900. We have a 1990 and 2400xl that we use on residential and chipping into a 45ft with either one wastes to much space. We get 700-800$ for a full load. On the job right now if we where using a 2100 we would be way behind over our 1990. But i wouldn't used either due to not being able to pack the truck enough, If you chipping wood the 280 does a decent job with the big fins on the back of the disk. But the 280 and 1900 are our main 45ft container chippers.

I just dont think the 2100 is a rugged enough machine it has decent hp but it auto fed constantly when we demo'd one. Watch this video it ran exactly like this. Way way to slow. Our 1990 will smoke that. We would have a line waiting at the chipper running the two we have now guys can move at a pretty steady pace. If we continue to get this work a chipper bigger than the 1900 isnt going to be out of the question.

Vermeer BC2100XL Brush Chipper tree and stump EATERS FISRT in australia vic 3 - YouTube

Matt,

Dont get me wrong tho it is a productive machine. Its what you the consumer expects of it, if you get what I'm saying. I expect it to pull a log in at a consistent pace at around a 18-20 inch size and not cough it all the way through like that. when the guys get there in the morning on monday there might be a few hundred to go through and waiting for that is just out of the question. could add up to an extra day. But if your doing strictly residential and light land clearing with it i would assume it would kick ass.

the demand for land clearing out of us did get big and it pays big since they are cutting roads faster than every tree service with a big chipper, cranes and so on can even do it. We have well sites going up by the dozens every month. tree companies from out of state have setup shop here. we don't do any more than usually usually 1-2 roads a month.

Maybe its just me being anti vermeer tho ever since they effed me, with the warranty on my chipper and grinder.

Wow. I have to eat my words on that one. Just spent somebody time looking over the new 790 L. Very nice much better fit and finish. I will see if I can break it tomorrow . I have to say every unit has been much better then the last one we bought.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9.277283385445&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

That is a nice looking chipper i wish i could see one run id probably take one. But id have to use it for a day or two to be sold. No doubt it chips like no other i just wanna see if its really better than our 1990.

did you guys ever try a 280xp? ours is chain drivin feed rollers 30+ inches wide and it is impressive you can put 275 under the hood. its feed system in my opinion is better than the 1990. 1990 is just more efficient less fuel burned per hour for the same amount chipped.

I would rather climb 200 30 ft pears a day then do land clearing , what a thankless job , and yea I know I did it for 3 straight years up to my ankles in mud daily cut bruised beaten all the time , the only fun we had was the occasional big screen TV we could see run through the chipper and shoot sparks like the 4 th of July LOL ! Sometimes I wonder though with prices around here averaging 2/2500 a acre how can it even be worth it !

Dude we get way more than 2500 an acre. if it was that price it can be done with a mower or hydro axe. We get 15-25grand for a road depending on location and condition usually takes me 5-7 days to the point where its ready for the dozers. at the pace we move most other guys wont look at 2 miles of road for 20g's they think its nuts we can usually get 3 stacks a day out of it plus residential it really adds up. my price is around 8k for heavily wooded acre with stumps out. but land clearing is usually not brutal work. we fell trees with chainsaws still no mechanical cutters yet. a lot of them are to big for mowers. But the rest is all machine. we skid with cranes, skid loaders, small dozers with a winch on the back. i usually think of them as my easy days compared to spiking up some old rotten tree.

We even do hydro seeding now :)

pics of recent job. using the winch on crane to skid logs down to chipper. its more of an after picture but you can see what we did it was a little over an acre for a home build. we leave the stumps 5-6 foot high and just peel them out with the excavator or highlift. we did that in 2-3 days. Clearing has just drastically picked up over the last year. We did a bunch for the addition of a high school early in the year. And now have to do a bunch more for there football field. It makes me good money and most importantly keeps my guys working year round 5-6 days a week with overtime usually. once you get a good crew you gotta keep them making good $$ also or you will have a half rate crew. what good climbers are gonna stick around for 20-30 hours a week? my guys expect retirement someday.

tn-8-1.jpg

tn-8.jpg

tn-3.jpg

IMG_9943.jpg

Last edited:
Watched that video. The one we demoed chipped much faster than that, not sure why. I have no love for Vermeer either, I was surprised because your complaint about slow processing of the wood has never been a issue with Vermeer IMO, its been how they process the crotchy stuff, and all the ####ing electronic bs they cover their machines with.
We had the first full day with our new 790L today, very impressed. Terex really had a good influence on woodmen. Didn’t process a huge volume of material today but ran some big stuff thru it. ran great. The thing with this chipper is sometimes it looks on videos like its chipping slow, but that’s because you wouldn’t ever think about putting something full of large branches and crotches thru any other chipper (one that your can tow around with you) without cutting a bunch of them.
Do you guys have a flood of work out there that has overwhelmed the land clearing outfits? Around here tree guys wouldn’t even look at the work you described, we couldn’t even come close to competing with feller bunchers and skidders. The outfits we have worked with could make more road before they finished drinking their coffee then we could do with a crane in a day.
I would love to see some video or some pictures of you guys making these roads, sounds impressive. It just seems strange to me to use a Kboom or a crane to make these roads. I Might have missed it but have you put up any pictures of your big Kboom? Still would like to see it

Watched that video. The one we demoed chipped much faster than that, not sure why. I have no love for Vermeer either, I was surprised because your complaint about slow processing of the wood has never been a issue with Vermeer IMO, its been how they process the crotchy stuff, and all the ####ing electronic bs they cover their machines with.
We had the first full day with our new 790L today, very impressed. Terex really had a good influence on woodmen. Didn’t process a huge volume of material today but ran some big stuff thru it. ran great. The thing with this chipper is sometimes it looks on videos like its chipping slow, but that’s because you wouldn’t ever think about putting something full of large branches and crotches thru any other chipper (one that your can tow around with you) without cutting a bunch of them.
Do you guys have a flood of work out there that has overwhelmed the land clearing outfits? Around here tree guys wouldn’t even look at the work you described, we couldn’t even come close to competing with feller bunchers and skidders. The outfits we have worked with could make more road before they finished drinking their coffee then we could do with a crane in a day.
I would love to see some video or some pictures of you guys making these roads, sounds impressive. It just seems strange to me to use a Kboom or a crane to make these roads. I Might have missed it but have you put up any pictures of your big Kboom? Still would like to see it

Just using available equipment. We usually get bad terrain. Pretty flat terrain the feller bunchers get.

Yes the gas pocket they found is the largest ever every company with any equipment is cutting them. But it won't last forever so I'm not to interested in a feller. We use a dozer with winch to skid and the kboom or log truck to feed the chippers.

We outsource50% of the hauling, I only have one semi and its pretty old we have one walking floor trailer.

A lot of the trees we process are not usually crotchy forest grown pole trees tall and straight 50-60%

Did you send me your email? I'll be working on it tomorrow gotta do the filters. Explaining why I can't wont post it in here takes to much time. It has to do with the deal we have with the manufacturer.

Just using available equipment. We usually get bad terrain. Pretty flat terrain the feller bunchers get.

Yes the gas pocket they found is the largest ever every company with any equipment is cutting them. But it won't last forever so I'm not to interested in a feller. We use a dozer with winch to skid and the kboom or log truck to feed the chippers.

We outsource50% of the hauling, I only have one semi and its pretty old we have one walking floor trailer.

A lot of the trees we process are not usually crotchy forest grown pole trees tall and straight 50-60%

That makes sense, In the woods you end up running a lot of straight wood thru the chipper.
Good choice on the Feller and land clearing stuff, there is a lot of underutilized iron out there right now in that field . won’t take long for them to sniff your niche out. You ever see Northern (from Palmer MA) out there, he has a ton of really nice land clearing stuff and has worked a few projects in PA

That makes sense, In the woods you end up running a lot of straight wood thru the chipper.
Good choice on the Feller and land clearing stuff, there is a lot of underutilized iron out there right now in that field . won’t take long for them to sniff your niche out. You ever see Northern (from Palmer MA) out there, he has a ton of really nice land clearing stuff and has worked a few projects in PA

Ya it's about a 8-10 year market so I figure it will last for three or four more years tops. Regular occasional clearing we knock out competitively with what we got.

Then we just do general maintenance like 20 foot height and emergency uproots, stuff like that. We ended up doing air conditioners on all the plants with the little knuckle. I attached a few pics of us doing one in one if there water treatment plants.

You have a lot of other big companies out there to compete with around here most tree guys like the bottle more than a fancy chipper. I've never seen another privately owned company around me with new stuff. My only competitor that has a crane all his stuff is from the 70's or 80's I understand old is ok but I'd be scared hanging off of his.

I get the occasional phone call from those guys about my low ball bids. I'm not to popular with them I use shock prices what I call them to away the market my way. And it works we are offering any stump removed for 250$ or less cleaned up with soil and reseed. Our Carlton has never ran our more than 15. Sometimes we do any spruce or pine for 700$ or less. And it usually gets us a lot of equipment and customer exposure.

As you know how fast you can do pine with a crane and 18-20 inch chipper. Nothing usually hits the ground until its on the fees table. They can buy it from us straight through Angie list.
gety9u7y.jpg

dy2ejy3e.jpg

5a3a3y4a.jpg

Latest posts

Back