Need some help ID'ing what was sold as Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to say thank you to all those that chimed in to help me on this. I've never come across Gum but have hickory and it really didn't look the part to me. I called the guy and he said "That's what they told me it was!". I said that it didn't look like it to me and that I posted pics to a site that the guys prob forgot more about firewood that we'd ever know and the consensus was it was Gum. I said I'd be bringing it back for a refund and he said okay. I know it wasn't much for the price. I figured since I spent a fortune on the wife and kids I'd throw away a little on something that I'd enjoy. I guess Dad's the one on the short end yet again. :laugh:

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!
White Oak is similar to Hickory a bit for smoking foods.

Thank you, sir. I don't buy by price and I'd def stay with someone once I find an honest seller.

Around thanksgiving I decided to buy a cord to keep on hand. I had about a cord of cherry but figured I'd get a cord of oak, the cherry burns nice and smells good but goes fast compared to oak, locust... I found a local guy, said he had to deliver, I couldn't pick up. He dropped it in the yard and I had to go to California for a week so the boys stacked it. I got back and have a row about 18' long, 4' high and the prices are 15-17". The wood looks like it was standing dead for a while but when I split it it's wet, hisses like crazy when in the stove. Honestly, it's the hardest wood I've ever had to burn. I have to split it down to 2" sq pieces and It has to be on a heavy bed of coals. His splits are pretty big so I'm going to split them down smaller and let it sit...I'm in need of another cord. This seems to be how every purchase goes. If I could find an honest seller at a reasonable price I'd hang onto them like grim death. Damn shame how a lot of these Craigslist sellers are, I think their average customer doesn't know better so, a lot of times, they get away with it.
Try getting wood in early spring

Not really. I just looked at some of mine. And I could see it looking like that if it sat around a long time. The 2 splits on top are shagbark. View attachment 472587

The only similarities are the colors, of that I agree. Your hickory has a very straight grain, the OPs pics of gum have a very wavy, almost jagged grain. I am also willing to bet your hickory has some weight to it and the OPs gum weighs less than a popcorn fart unless it is wet.

@smokee
Hey dude, I live in Centerville.
Thant **** ain't Hickory. Around here the hickory is Bitternut Hickory. When green it's heartwood is RED really red, redder than red oak. When dry its heartwood is more like a pinkish color. I hae so wood from the city that was what i call rock maple, or hard maple. When split it tears like that, also it went punky fast in my yard and the mold marks that look like tunnels in your wood are almost the same. I have some hick in my shed, your welcome to some of it. I also have a PILE of 3 yr seasoned white oak if your interested....

The only similarities are the colors, of that I agree. Your hickory has a very straight grain, the OPs pics of gum have a very wavy, almost jagged grain. I am also willing to bet your hickory has some weight to it and the OPs gum weighs less than a popcorn fart unless it is wet.
Yes the main trunk of a hickory is pretty straight,But not a narley limb. And also consider this has been sitting a long time before splitting, and is punky, it's not gonna split straight and clean. I couldn't 100% rule out hickory, plus it was sold as hickory. I would have to smell it, and not even sure it would smell like hickory anymore. Most trees go from straight to jagged once there punky.

Truth is the OP is letting himself get hosed. I can look at damn near any piece of firewood and tell you what it is. (Of the species that are in my area) I realize that not everyone grew up in a woodlot but you ought to at least know what Hickory looks/ feels like if that's what you're after.

Not sure what you have there, Smokee, but I know shagbark is hard to split. It is very stringy and even with a splitter, you have to tear the splits apart because there is always a few strands hanging on. I don't think I would even attempt to split it by hand.

Truth is the OP is letting himself get hosed. I can look at damn near any piece of firewood and tell you what it is. (Of the species that are in my area) I realize that not everyone grew up in a woodlot but you ought to at least know what Hickory looks/ feels like if that's what you're after.

You're not big on yourself much, are you? I'm reading 3 pages into this thread and still am hearing what it could or could not be. You might think you're that bright but you have no clue to what you're buying on a daily basis. Here's an idea, sell what you advertise.

No he's not, The guy is giving his money back.

You're not big on yourself much, are you? I'm reading 3 pages into this thread and still am hearing what it could or could not be. You might think you're that bright but you have no clue to what you're buying on a daily basis. Here's an idea, sell what you advertise.
I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I don't buy firewood or sell it. I go to the woods and cut it. I leave the crap wood behind and bring out the good stuff. I've never given a thought as to how nice a wood smells while burning. I'm just saying you should maybe educate yourself a little. As far as id'ing the wood,pictures of seasoned wood with no bark are of little help.

Latest posts

Back