firewood cutting with a bad back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all these ideas on saving backs, still the best and easiest solution for bucking firewood were bow bars. Been running one for fifty years with no problems, if used right and understand their limits they are as safe as a bar. They were never made to limb or use for cut down, they were made for bucking and nothing made does it better or safer. They got a bad rap because stupid people used them improperly, just as many people use a bar saw improperly everyday and the results are the same " Accidents " only now folks suitup with all kinds of Armor to avoid whacking themselves with the bar. Some folks should just never get behind the trigger of a chainsaw.
Ran Butcher Shops off and on for 40 years and when train people to operate the machinery and using the knifes I could tell within three or four weeks if they were going to make it or not. The first thing you teach them is safety and proper way to preform their task observing all the time proper safety. Regardless of how much you stress safety some folks still can't follow along, that's the ones I culled real fast before something bad happened.
Any idea where I can get either bow bar for one of my saws or a saw with a bow bar without getting ripped off for junk? I remember many years ago in my area (SC) that's what all the pulpwooders used but I never thought of getting one then because I wasn't burning wood. Now I'm getting older & can sure see the benefits of having one.

Most everyone here knows how I deal with everything. I take a cold shower every day and done for over 10 years. I think I'm more flexible than people way younger than me. I had a kid about 20 years old was too fat to bend over and could not breath. Now as a country to maybe defend are self were are going? Just years of bad information how this all started. Anyone in the trades was conceder a frailer. You need your back fixed I would turn my back to the shower all cold take a big breath. And let that soak in. All I hear don't expect me to take a cold shower.. I see people pop all kinds of pills energy drinks always nervous I feel bad can.t sleep .Would you trade 3 minutes of a little hell for 23 hours and 57 minutes of bliss ?

Just picked up on this thread- the bad back clicked with me.
Fascinated by all the advice.
My tuppence worth is to use a back brace. I get stretchy velcro ones from Aldi/Lidl and will not do any manual labour without wearing one.
I have severe OA in lower lumber region, and can only chainsaw for about an hour at a time.
But I love sawing and would be dead if I couldn't .
Cheers all!👍

Most everyone here knows how I deal with everything. I take a cold shower every day and done for over 10 years. I think I'm more flexible than people way younger than me. I had a kid about 20 years old was too fat to bend over and could not breath. Now as a country to maybe defend are self were are going? Just years of bad information how this all started. Anyone in the trades was conceder a frailer. You need your back fixed I would turn my back to the shower all cold take a big breath. And let that soak in. All I hear don't expect me to take a cold shower.. I see people pop all kinds of pills energy drinks always nervous I feel bad can.t sleep .Would you trade 3 minutes of a little hell for 23 hours and 57 minutes of bliss ?
I find as I've gotten older that flexibility is important, try to do stretching routines often and certainly keeping your core strong is necessary too. I agree with you about the cold showers too @aokpops, but you're much tougher than me! I don't always do that every day - typically 3-4 times a week and usually end the last minute or so of my regular shower with the cold water. I will say that I've noticed a difference since starting to take the cold water showers.

Hi folks, I'm new here and am looking for some guidance. This is the first winter my family has burned firewood. I have a very messed up back. More than 20 years of botched surgeries and procedures have left me with a lot of permanent nerve damage and scar tissue.

Anyhow, I am using a Husqvarna rancher 450 *edit- the saw is not a 455* with a 20" bar. The saw is 0.325, so 20" is the longest I can go. I'm not cutting large stuff, I'm still cutting deadfall Ash on my property, so the biggest stuff I encounter is normally less than 14" diameter.

That said, I'm stooping over more than I would like to be. I'm thinking about picking up another saw that can pull a longer bar. I'd love to go 28", but I may not be able to afford that. My question is this, if I were to get the bigger Husqvarna rancher (I think it's a 460) for which they recommend a maximum 24" bar, could I get away with a 28" bar on it provided I'm not expecting it to cut enormous trees?

If not, could you all recommend a used saw to look for which might fit the requirements? I've been trying to Google models as they come up for sale, but frankly, the manufacturer naming schemes seem to be complete nonsense and I'm having trouble making heads or tails of which saws I should even bother trying to research.

Thank you for your time!
Jason

For back issues such as yours (and mine) you need to go as light a saw you can that will still handle a 28" AND you need a lightweight bar.

If money is not the issue (should not be to save your back) buy a MS261 that has been professionally modded as it can handle a 28 when pro modded.

Even better (if your arms and back can handle) would be a MS462 (no mod needed) with a 28 light bar.

IMHO = These two saws would give you the lightest power to weight ratio with a 28 bar.

For back issues such as yours (and mine) you need to go as light a saw you can that will still handle a 28" AND you need a lightweight bar.

If money is not the issue (should not be to save your back) buy a MS261 that has been professionally modded as it can handle a 28 when pro modded.

Even better (if your arms and back can handle) would be a MS462 (no mod needed) with a 28 light bar.

IMHO = These two saws would give you the lightest power tow eight ratio with a 28 bar.
What about oiling a 28" on a 261, I don't think they oil that well.

You stated that you are cutn 14" dia, so oil would not be a problem. Oil becomes a problem if you cutn beyond 20"

Dry Ash drinks oil like its water i the desert.
I didn't say that, I'll cut anything I'm asked to if it pays the right amount ;).
I don't think a 261 does that great oiling a 20, let alone a 28, and 14-16 is normally about all the bigger I cut with the ported 261 running a 20 with the oil turned all the way up.

I didn't say that, I'll cut anything I'm asked to if it pays the right amount ;).
I don't think a 261 does that great oiling a 20, let alone a 28, and 14-16 is normally about all the bigger I cut with the ported 261 running a 20 with the oil turned all the way up.
OK, got it - thanks.
In this case, the lightest & most power cutn saw on the market is MS462 - nothing comes close in power/weight ratio.

I have cut with just about every pro saw there is and has been on the market beginning in 1982.

it's supremely important to lift weights as you grow old. when I stop, my back starts hurting because i'm a pool player and bend over hundreds of times daily on shots. what many think is a bad back is really just a weak back. start off slowly with light weight though....

I find as I've gotten older that flexibility is important, try to do stretching routines often and certainly keeping your core strong is necessary too. I agree with you about the cold showers too @aokpops, but you're much tougher than me! I don't always do that every day - typically 3-4 times a week and usually end the last minute or so of my regular shower with the cold water. I will say that I've noticed a difference since starting to take the cold water showers.
I totally agree on stretching. Not sure about being tougher there is a method take deep breaths and relax before the cold water hits. Try not to gasp just big breaths will help. Everyone is like a wood stove the more air the more heat you put out.About everyone getting in ice water will start gasping for air. This were you slow it down relax and breath deep . I run in the cold all winter shorts t shirt the first half mile is very cold hardly notice after. Even sweat some .

Latest posts

Back