Need some help ID'ing what was sold as Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U should let a little smoke out once in a while..that hickory chrrry beech and oak smell great in the house

I had about 6 cords of cherry from trees cut down on the high school property adjacent to my yard. I burned it for a few years I had that much. It's really good smelling wood, I found myself opening the door quickly pulling a bit of smoke out, I like the smell of wood burning as does the Mrs.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I don't buy firewood or sell it. I go to the woods and cut it. I leave the crap wood behind and bring out the good stuff. I've never given a thought as to how nice a wood smells while burning. I'm just saying you should maybe educate yourself a little. As far as id'ing the wood,pictures of seasoned wood with no bark are of little help.
images

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I don't buy firewood or sell it. I go to the woods and cut it. I leave the crap wood behind and bring out the good stuff. I've never given a thought as to how nice a wood smells while burning. I'm just saying you should maybe educate yourself a little. As far as id'ing the wood,pictures of seasoned wood with no bark are of little help.
so if it doesn't have bark on it you don't know what it is and you may leave it in the woods even if is something good?

so if it doesn't have bark on it you don't know what it is and you may leave it in the woods even if is something good?
Nope if I can cut it, pick it up and look at it with my own two hands and eyes I know what it is. Not trying to get into a pissing contest...merely suggesting that the OP should know BEFORE he buys.

Nope if I can cut it, pick it up and look at it with my own two hands and eyes I know what it is. Not trying to get into a pissing contest...merely suggesting that the OP should know BEFORE he buys.
nor i. but that's what this forum is about .for some people that either don't know or aren't sure. the folks that replied and told him what he had helped him in his predicament. i posted some pictures of barkless locust on another thread here that i cut and a fellow member asked me how i knew what it was without the bark. for someone that has never seen a particular wood without it's bark it can be confusing. i'm an old fart and still learn something here everyday. BTW, nice mess of rabbits in you avatar.:yes:

nor i. but that's what this forum is about .for some people that either don't know or aren't sure. the folks that replied and told him what he had helped him in his predicament. i posted some pictures of barkless locust on another thread here that i cut and a fellow member asked me how i knew what it was without the bark. for someone that has never seen a particular wood without it's bark it can be confusing. i'm an old fart and still learn something here everyday. BTW, nice mess of rabbits in you avatar.:yes:

I questioned the seller point-blank about it being hickory. His response was he's been selling firewood for X years...... I said I've never seen hickory look like that but he insisted it was. I'm the last person to think I know everything so I second guessed myself. My point is that I had enough knowledge to question it, I will be getting my money back Saturday. This wasn't a guy in a parking lot, it's a legitimate business that sells a good bit of firewood. I'm about 3 years into owning the stove and can ID most of what I come across but I will admit there's things I haven't seen before but, as Farmer Steve said, that's what this forum's about. I appreciate everyone that posted their thoughts.

Merry Christmas!

I'm not sure where you are in Lancaster Co. I'm in the northern part. I would be willing to haul some wood back from farmer steve to get it a little closer if you are interested. We could work out details on getting it to you. It may not be right away but it would still be this burning season. I am just not sure when I will be back at Steve's place. Let me know if you are interested.

I'm not sure where you are in Lancaster Co. I'm in the northern part. I would be willing to haul some wood back from farmer steve to get it a little closer if you are interested. We could work out details on getting it to you. It may not be right away but it would still be this burning season. I am just not sure when I will be back at Steve's place. Let me know if you are interested.

Thank you, Sir...I'm going to move on from the hickory though. It was something the wife said she liked so I thought I'd get some for the holidays. She's had a tough year with chemo, radiation, surgery....I try to do the little things. I'm going to start looking for a new cord or two of mixed hardwood. I think one more cord plus the cord and a half I already have will get me through this mild winter. Even if it gets as cold as the last couple years, that's enough to get me through.

I've been wanting to try aging some whiskey and would like a piece or two of some nice, honest white oak. I don't expect free, I'm willing pay for a couple pieces of good white oak that I can char. It has to be white oak.

Thank you, Sir...I'm going to move on from the hickory though. It was something the wife said she liked so I thought I'd get some for the holidays. She's had a tough year with chemo, radiation, surgery....I try to do the little things. I'm going to start looking for a new cord or two of mixed hardwood. I think one more cord plus the cord and a half I already have will get me through this mild winter. Even if it gets as cold as the last couple years, that's enough to get me through.

I've been wanting to try aging some whiskey and would like a piece or two of some nice, honest white oak. I don't expect free, I'm willing pay for a couple pieces of good white oak that I can char. It has to be white oak.

Send me a PM, the oak is yours for the taking.

Where ru in lancasrter? I used to live in honeybrook and know the area ok...i know the troubles of cancer and would like help i have some white oak some hickory only one year on that but i have real dry cherry so start the fire with cherry throw some hickory on top ...be like aroma therapy..im willing to make the hour drive to help

Where ru in lancasrter? I used to live in honeybrook and know the area ok...i know the troubles of cancer and would like help i have some white oak some hickory only one year on that but i have real dry cherry so start the fire with cherry throw some hickory on top ...be like aroma therapy..im willing to make the hour drive to help

Thank you for the offer! We've been low-key about it. My wife works for Lancaster General so we have great insurance and I have a decent job. We're in good shape and her last surgery was in the end of October so she's healed up pretty well. To answer your question, we boarder Manheim twsp high school property. The only help we really need is a good recommendation for source to buy a few cords a year from. I'm not asking for a secret personal supplier, just someone that's honest.

We went out and did some splitting today and I eyed up what I have, I prob should get a cord this month. I have a truck so I prefer seeing what I'm buying as opposed to a "dump and run" delivery.

Thank you for the offer! We've been low-key about it. My wife works for Lancaster General so we have great insurance and I have a decent job. We're in good shape and her last surgery was in the end of October so she's healed up pretty well. To answer your question, we boarder Manheim twsp high school property. The only help we really need is a good recommendation for source to buy a few cords a year from. I'm not asking for a secret personal supplier, just someone that's honest.

We went out and did some splitting today and I eyed up what I have, I prob should get a cord this month. I have a truck so I prefer seeing what I'm buying as opposed to a "dump and run" delivery.
I am in Brickerville so I am just a hop skip and a jump away. Let me know if you need anything. I may or may not be able to help but I will help if I can. Sorry I can't help with a reliable supplier as I do not buy firewood. Hope everything keeps moving in the right direction with your families health.

Back