Need some help ID'ing what was sold as Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all - Took some time off around New Years and just saw this - I realize it's way past ID time here and it's great to see all the generosity on this site!

BUT, I am going to throw in with the Hickory vote in hindsight FWIW. However, it's really crappy old wood & I don't think you should have accepted it - I have two types of Hickory over here in Lehigh Co. and most of the original pic's are an exact match to some I just threw in the stove and CSS myself.

If it was hickory you'd know it as soon as you hefted a split, it's heavy. I move some as cooking wood, did three bundles today, I get double over oak. Firewood is just flat around here, but cooking wood is year round, slow, but steady. I burn the bark-on chunks for firewood during polar vortexes, but the heartwood..it's the best dang wood in this county. And no mistaking it when split or cut, smells like bacon.

Wouldn't it be more "CORRECTORER" to say Hickory makes Bacon taste Like Hickory smoked Bacon....
But YUPP that is a good way do associate the smell of "K"ickory.

Do firewood sellers cut wood now and let it season for 2-3 yrs before they sell it?
Most of them around here make sure to split it through the heart so it will dry quick 2 or 3 months will make a huge difference but moisture meter will still detect the difference Split and protected from the rain and still able to breathe Helps the most.. When stacking your wood try to place bark side or outer growth rings up so water will shed off not soak in .//

Back