Need some help on a piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measurements would be great hotshot.

Thanks Lee

What do you need for dimensions?, I have a standard piston measurement form I made/use for receiving new pistons in, and it's got it all.

Deck height is 0.9775" from flat top to the 12mm wrist pin CL on this 380 piston. From top to WP hole edge it's 0.740", so deck is a lot taller than the Solo's 0.685"

image.jpeg

I also have over a half dozen 52mm Stihl 045 piston dimension forms already filled out from past rebuilds for reference, but they use a 13mm pin & are 0.605" from top edge to top of pin hole.

Interesting to note that the new OEM Stihl 52mm pistons varied in some dimensions by up to 0.005", except of course the ring lands, wrist pins & pin bores.

There you go Lee. I get confused converting decimal to metric but if I am close that 380 piston might be able to turn the dome out on it with a lathe? That is if you don't have to get too close to the top ring land and you could always use a thicker base gasket. Randy forgot to list the overall length of the piston though..

It's hard to read, but on the top left of that form as OAH or overall height.

I can scan that form manana senior, if Lee wants it, 1.698" tall on the long skirted or thrust face side.

I'm sorry but I don't think nor measure in metric, but can easily convert it.

I think if the crown is thick enough, you could turn it down with a pop up & run one ring in the second groove. Not enough meat left to safely run the top ring. It's definitely a flat top design.

Those 380 Husky piston are easy to find aftermarket, made overseas by our slant eyed friends

There you go Lee. I get confused converting decimal to metric but if I am close that 380 piston might be able to turn the dome out on it with a lathe? That is if you don't have to get too close to the top ring land and you could always use a thicker base gasket. Randy forgot to list the overall length of the piston though..

Not sure i could get that much of a dome out of it.
So many options but still a bit off. I thought i had
a P85 and Stihl 051 piston but i can't find them. I
don't think the 051 is an option as the intake and
exhaust are on the same side of the cylinder. Would
like to see some dimensions on the P85 if anyone
has them. So far an 064 might be my best choice
but i would have to weld up the top.

Lee

I think if the crown is thick enough, turn it down with a pop up & run one ring in the second groove.

Those piston are easy to find aftermarket, made by our slant eyed friends

Thanks a bunch hotshot, I will check the dimensions in US and see how
close they are. Running one ring doesn't bother me if i can turn it down
to keep compression.

Thanks a bunch.

Lee

Not sure i could get that much of a dome out of it.
So many options but still a bit off. I thought i had
a P85 and Stihl 051 piston but i can't find them. I
don't think the 051 is an option as the intake and
exhaust are on the same side of the cylinder. Would
like to see some dimensions on the P85 if anyone
has them. So far an 064 might be my best choice
but i would have to weld up the top.

Lee

I know that everyone here is more knowledgeable than I am but I do not see why the intake and exhaust being on the same side would make any difference. This is not a piston ported engine. It has full skirts. Tom

Back