Need someone with knowledge of chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just started

Reaction score
I started my tree company 2 years ago and since then its been nothing but problems. It seems like every time I get a big job my chipper(Morbark 2400) decide's to die on me. So far its just been stupid malfunctions, but still every time it goes to the shop it costs me money which I'm starting to run out of. I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers as what to check. I was doing a job yesterday and the chipper was working fine all day. We got to chipping up the last tree and in the middle of a branch the chipper blew out a big puff of white smoke from the muffler and then died. I tried to restart it but it would'nt go. The engine turns but it just won't start. If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be I would really appreciate some input as I don't know anything about diesel's.

Where is Hanson, which state???

You say it blew a big puff of white smoke? White smoke is usually unburned diesel. Diesels need fuel and compression to run. so if you have fuel you must have lost compression, maybe dropped a valve? Not good. You really need to do a compression test, to do this you need to pull the injectors and screw in a test tool.

You really need somebody who knows diesels to take a look at it. I am in Charlottesville VA and would take a look at it but I dont know how far you are.

What motor is in your 2400?

I have old equipement that I keep running but always like to keep a back up for key pieces of equipement such as chipper as you cannt work without them.

Lots of people are expriencing injector pump failures due to new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel but I cannt see how this would cause white smoke.

Have you checked your oil, is it all milky looking? That would indicate blown head gasket which could cause white smoke(steam) or see if there is oil in your coolant?

Hard to diagnose without seeing it

Your chipper probably has fail safe cutoffs for low oil preasure and high coolant temp. maybe why it doesnt start.

Give us more info...............Paul

Hey Paul,
I'm in Hanson Ma. I just figured out what was wrong with it. It was out of gas. I thought It still had gas in it, but I guess I was wrong. Its hard to tell sometimes cause it has no gas gage. I really appreciate you offering to take a look at it and giving me your advice.
Thanks again, Eric

Where is Hanson, which state???

You say it blew a big puff of white smoke? White smoke is usually unburned diesel. Diesels need fuel and compression to run. so if you have fuel you must have lost compression, maybe dropped a valve? Not good. You really need to do a compression test, to do this you need to pull the injectors and screw in a test tool.

You really need somebody who knows diesels to take a look at it. I am in Charlottesville VA and would take a look at it but I dont know how far you are.

What motor is in your 2400?

I have old equipement that I keep running but always like to keep a back up for key pieces of equipement such as chipper as you cannt work without them.

Lots of people are expriencing injector pump failures due to new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel but I cannt see how this would cause white smoke.

Have you checked your oil, is it all milky looking? That would indicate blown head gasket which could cause white smoke(steam) or see if there is oil in your coolant?

Hard to diagnose without seeing it

Your chipper probably has fail safe cutoffs for low oil preasure and high coolant temp. maybe why it doesnt start.

Give us more info...............Paul

The only answer to that would be a dropped valve and you would have a serious clanking when you turned it over.
Jared

Back