Need suggestions for small ornamental tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an "island" in the middle of my driveway loop (limestone, no paving) that could use a nice tree. It is on a slope, and gets full sun.
The grass area is approximately 12' in dia, inside the loop, and the tree needs to mature at about 10' to 15' max. It will be centered in the island. Prefer something that doesn't make too much dirt to destroy the drive, and something that blooms real pretty to make my wife smile.

What say you? What is the ultimate driveway loop tree?

Almost forgot. Western PA. Needs to survive winter here.

Is there a peach that would work...just a thought.

Flowering dogwood might be a good one. It flowers in the spring and won't get too big. It's suggested to grow in partial shade but I have two that are in full sun and do great. Just make sure to put a good mulch ring around it that's 3-4" deep. Make sure to keep the mulch away from the trunk.

How about a redbud not sure if they do well in your climate but they stay pretty small!

No peaches that far north but pears and other fruit trees wouid work. local extension guys understand your soil and site better than we, unless you have more details or better yet a picture..

dogwoods and redbuds might work too but they are overplanted and thus disease-prone. and most dogwoods would get too wide at the bottom over time. Plus you can't eat them, unless you're a goat, or a sapsucker.

Depending on your soil type (pH, texture, drainage, etc...) here are a few ideas to consider:

*I agree redbud is a decent choice, but it is a bit overused.
*I personally really dislike ornamental pear - plus I think it may be just a tad too big for that area (or any other excuse to not plant it will be fine with me).
*Yellowwood
*Serviceberry
*Crabapple - pick your color, size and shape then make you find a scab resistant variety and it will serve you well
*Hawthorn
*Red buckeye

If it doesn't have to have showy flowers:
*Paperbark maple
*Pawpaw
*Turkish filbert
*Hardy rubber tree
*Ironwood (Ostrya virginiana)
*Chinese elm (might get a little too big, but that will be many years off if it does...)
*Sumac

Plenty of peach varietys would work.
Just not the tasteless,wimpy, southern varietys.

You're definately south of me, and we grow a good number of peaches around here. Heck, we even developed a few varietys ya mighta heard of.Last Bite - Good Fruit Grower - April 1st 2011 -

Biggest thing is well drained and slightly acidic soil, but we have them growing in 6.5-7.5 mucky bottomland on some farms.

Holler at your county ag extension and they can hook you up with a ton of info.
Fruits — Cooperative Extension — Penn State Cooperative Extension

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back