Need Tarp Input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Ole Wood Chopper
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of buying the cheap polyester tarps that only last 3 years and they're bad about blowing off the wood pile. I'm down to two tarps a 22 oz. per sq. yard pvc tarp or a 20 oz. per sq. yard canvas tarp. The pvc tarp should outlast the canvas but is a bit more expensive.

i used tarps too but got tired of it,, the money i was spending on tarps i used that money and built a 12x30 wood shed,, a whole 400 invested total,,now i don't have to worry about it any more

If you can get a hold of a used tarp they use for billboards, those are the heaviest tarps I've ever seen. I have a tarp that's about 20 x 60 ft and it weighs about 120lbs. I cut it in half (20 x 30) and its still heavy as all get out! I've had it for 5 years now and it still shows no signs of deterioration.

I have had good service from used swimming pool liners. The pool companies like it when they don't have to haul off and dispose of the old liner when they do a replacement. I don't know how stiff they get at 20 degrees below zero, though.

chicken farms

I've been thinking about one of those 2 car carport for $600.

If you have any commercial chicken farms near you, go over and ask them if they have any used curtain walls or sidewalls, the plastic stuff. It has to be replaced periodically, but it is usually still in pretty good shape when they replace it. That plastic lasts years and years, it is what I use. It will outlast those cheap hardware or box store brand plastic tarps like ten to one or something like that. In fact..I have yet to wear one out or have it disintegrate on me. six years covering my stacks, they sat for I don't know how many years in the farm dump here, and got used for the intended purpose for years previous to that. The sidewall plastic (side wall as in flexible crank up and down sidewalls to the big houses) is perfect size to cover a three deep sixteen inch piece stack. The curtain wall (what they use to divide the houses up when a flock first comes in as little biddies) plastic is larger/squarer and you can make sheds or shed sidewalls with it or what have you. Cover equipment, whatever. Cut it to size to fit whatever.

Or..maybe you can find someone who has a really clapped out road tractor trailer or old single wide mobile home, convert one of those to a cheap wood barn. One of my little bros got a single wide for free, and he made a mini hay barn out of it for like zero money. Knocked a big door in it, gutted out most of the interior, and rolls those small round bales in and out. Certainly large enough to hold a lot of wood.

I have a neighbor up the road that has a swimming pool cover but no pool and it is some kind of thick pvc plastic. May have to go visit him on Halloween night with a pair of scissors. Well maybe not I forgot he has a 12 gauge.

If you can get a hold of a used tarp they use for billboards, those are the heaviest tarps I've ever seen. I have a tarp that's about 20 x 60 ft and it weighs about 120lbs. I cut it in half (20 x 30) and its still heavy as all get out! I've had it for 5 years now and it still shows no signs of deterioration.

I've seen those tarps that you mentioned and they are some real heavy duty pvc plastic material.

I just use the cheep tarps like you said, I fold the in 1/2 or 3rds and just tarp the very top of the wood pile, to keep the snow & rain off with little over hang so the wind don't blow it off. I just hold it down with a few splits.

Works for me anyway's. One day I will build a small roof over cord long rolls though.

Got myself a deal on a few skids of rubber lineman blankets that flunked annual testing.

I figure my woodpile and tractors are safe from lightning strikes now. They also do a real good of padding and keep tarps from chewing up in the wind.

Latest posts

Back