Need trimming/thinning advice on a previously topped Eucalyptus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillFramis

Reaction score
Five years ago I bought a house with two large, previously topped Eucalyptus trees. Each is now around 70 feet high.

Both are healthy trees, but I am concerned about the sprouts that have grown on the tree, especially the ones at the top that have grown up from the topping.

I have had two tree services recommend two different things. One wants to thin out in the middle and leave the top alone, the other wants to do a crown reduction (not top) to get rid of the top ~15 feet (for reduced weight/safety) and only moderate thinning on the lower branches.

Outside of removal, what is the best course of action?

Bill in Tucson

Here is a photo of the trees - HELP!

Here's a shot of the trees in the back yard with the roofline along the bottom.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

If mine I would do both. Top them down a bit and thin them out some.

How strong are the winds in your area?

How long are the sprouts from the previous topping?

If there is no decay or codominance, there may be little need for reduction

company #1 who wants to leave the top alone and thin down low would increase risk and does not sound reliable.

Mostly great weather, but...

Tucson has the odd combination of drought and flooding. Besides the 100F+ weather all summer, we have a short but pronounced rainy season -- mostly in July and August. We can easily get 50-60mph winds and extremely heavy rain during the "monsoon". To complicate matters, it sometimes drops below freezing at night during the winter. Are Eucalyptus trees susceptible to freeze damage?

The sprouts have been growing since before we moved in 5 years ago and are now at least 15 feet long -- some are probably close to 20 feet.

Thanks,
Bill

best strategy would be to get a qualified arborist to climb the tree to the point where it was topped, tie in, and assess the structure; the forks' angle, codom, heavy ends and decay that can lead to failure. from that point the tips can be reduced with a polesaw/pruner, after the worst are removed.

general rule is to reduce a third, remove a third and leave a third but this is not exact. it'd be nice to post an "after" picture here when it's done.

Back