Need wood in SE Mi, our problems are way out of control this year!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We are in SE Mi and if anybody still has some wood to sell we need about 3.5 cords of hardwood, 16"-18" max long. Our fireplace insert can handle wood 5-5.5 inches in diameter, so larger pieces are better than small sticks, although some smaller stuff is needed for small fires. WE stack the dry seasoned wood in our attached garage in large bins, so hopefully the wood is fairly bug less.

WHY: Due to ongoing health problems with back and worsening health problems I am now in wheelchair for any "walking distance" more than 20 feet less if there are no walls for support. My court case was delayed by defense again until end of October. Some doctors are lying about my condition or covering their butts.

Then in April our older Golden Retriever died suddenly and we were taking her to property to get buried. My truck and trailer hit a patch of black ice, did several 360's on freeway, hit several guardrails and was totaled along with trailer. We were okay along with our other dog in the truck. Everything went flying out rear of truck along with the casket and strewn for 100's of yards along embankments when pickup tailgate was ripped off . We did manage to find the missing family member though.

So we have been without any vehicle to transport my wheelchair out of my house since April. I am house bound. The trailer was totaled so our family's ability for wood transport from property to home is also gone. I cannot get into our other vehicle since the car is too low for me to bend to, plus my leg & leg brace does not fit in the car. The wheelchair lift newly installed in truck 2 weeks prior to accident was damaged in accident so it is unusable in any other vehicle.

My new powerchair developed driveline problems so it has been in repair since May, I only had it for a month.

Biggest problem nobody has been able to get to property to work on firewood this year because of lawyer problems and court case so no firewood for this year or next year is cut.

I am worried about heating our house since we can't afford gas bills to heat the house with old furnace. We decided before I got injured that we would heat house with wood from property instead of replace inefficient old furnace. In hindsight we should have done the furnace.
More problems:
The idiot lawyer just called while typing out this request for wood. he wants to try arbitration to settle, but I still have to renovate the house so I can get wheechair into bathroom, at this time I can't even get my walker in bathroom or my bedroom. I have more problems than just 1 leg paralysis:pissed-off::mad2:

Sorry for the rant But we do need wood at least for this year and will have to decide what to do in future if we can't get afford a truck with chair lift and cap lift.

Last edited:
I am up by Lansing and have wood I can sell if you absilutely cant find any close to you. Id recommend a wanted ad on craigslist or just search for firewood. I would buy one facecord from a guy and see if the wood he has is actually dry and if its not keep going down the list until you find someone with good dry hardwood.

man, that is just a mile of bad news. If I was closer I could come help get you some wood. There have to be a few members around close to you could come one day and scrounge you some wood up. Do you have a place to cut at, for free wood, or cheap standing dead wood, something like that?

I will try craigslist, but I thought I would give the business to a fellow arboristsite member first. I guess either nobody is close to me or not interested. Lansing is 1.5 hours away.

If you are able to find a place local to you to cut wood let me know. I will bring my saws up and cut wood for you. I can't transport wood across state lines otherwise I would bring you some.
I'm sorry to hear about your string of bad luck...Keep us posted...praying for you brother

Jeff

No Offence intended, but after reading some of your other post.
I would seriously think about giving up on wood heat.
Why put that much burden on yourself and family to heat with wood?
If you absolutely have to burn wood You should Find a good supplier that will deliver and stack it for you.
Another option, Have a Tri Axle load of logs delivered, buy a case of beer and call some buddies up and have them come over some weekend and cut.split and stack for you and your wife.(JM2C)

No Offence intended, but after reading some of your other post.
I would seriously think about giving up on wood heat.
Why put that much burden on yourself and family to heat with wood?
If you absolutely have to burn wood You should Find a good supplier that will deliver and stack it for you.
Another option, Have a Tri Axle load of logs delivered, buy a case of beer and call some buddies up and have them come over some weekend and cut.split and stack for you and your wife.(JM2C)

Like I said before in hindsight we should have done the furnace instead but with property filled with 110 acres of hardwoods and numerous deadfalls all the time we had more than enough wood to heat 1 house full time and cabin and sell some. Our vacations my wife and I took we liked to cut/split wood for heat and thus clean up the woods. It may have taken all Spring, Summer and Fall to get the 3-4 cords of wood for burning because I could not work for very long periods. But, at least I did something and cleaned up the woods in process. Now, we will probably sell my saw and get a smaller and lighter saw for my wife.

Our old furnace is 50% efficient at best and gas bills were too high even at 62 degrees. I do NOT want to freeze all day and night either. A new furnace is nearly $4000. We also have to buy a new truck and wheelchair lift for the truck to replace wrecked truck and also a trailer to haul our gear since stuff does not fit any vehicle with powerwheelchair and lift installed in back end. So wood heat is still cheaper even if I have to now buy wood for a couple of years at least I will be warm.
With a vehicle instead of furnace I will also get out of the house I have been in since April! Except for doctor appointments and wheelchair walks with doggy down the street. I will truly be house bound in Winter since wheelchair use in snow is not possible, so I can hardly wait for winter when cabin fever complaints start coming from walking people.

At this time furnace heat is burning too much money but we may need to reconsider in future depending on many many many ongoing situations.

Like I said before in hindsight we should have done the furnace instead but with property filled with 110 acres of hardwoods and numerous deadfalls all the time we had more than enough wood to heat 1 house full time and cabin and sell some. Our vacations my wife and I took we liked to cut/split wood for heat and thus clean up the woods. It may have taken all Spring, Summer and Fall to get the 3-4 cords of wood for burning because I could not work for very long periods. But, at least I did something and cleaned up the woods in process. Now, we will probably sell my saw and get a smaller and lighter saw for my wife.

Our old furnace is 50% efficient at best and gas bills were too high even at 62 degrees. I do NOT want to freeze all day and night either. A new furnace is nearly $4000. We also have to buy a new truck and wheelchair lift for the truck to replace wrecked truck and also a trailer to haul our gear since stuff does not fit any vehicle with powerwheelchair and lift installed in back end. So wood heat is still cheaper even if I have to now buy wood for a couple of years at least I will be warm.
With a vehicle instead of furnace I will also get out of the house I have been in since April! Except for doctor appointments and wheelchair walks with doggy down the street. I will truly be house bound in Winter since wheelchair use in snow is not possible, so I can hardly wait for winter when cabin fever complaints start coming from walking people.

At this time furnace heat is burning too much money but we may need to reconsider in future depending on many many many ongoing situations.

with 110 ten acres, perhaps you could run an ad for guys to cut wood on your property free, in exchange for leaving you cut/split stacked where you need it. 50/50 most likely won't work, but offer say, they cut three for themselves, cut and split one for you. If you are able to supervise as this is going on, so much the better, so property is well maintained, etc. Or sell it cheap perhaps, to help with liability angle. They get wood at say even just five or ten a cord, and drop some off for you every cord.

You could run that by the members here on the main chainsaw forum as well, see what happens. Lot of members here, surely someone could help you who lives sorta nearby.

Latest posts

Back