Needing advice about starting a firewood supply business PLEASE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They rarely get after you for the weights and measures part that you were speaking about. If an unhappy customer calls you and says you shorted him you have the chance to straighten it out first. If the weights and measures person calls you you still have a chance to make it good. If they keep getting complaints you got a problem which is only likely if you are unscrupulous.

Oh OK. Now I understand the premise. To me it sounds like another governMENTAL desperate stab at protecting people from themselves which always translates into more G jobs for people to punch in when they start their G job and punch out one more time after 20 years of pushing around documents titled, "make life a PIA for-insert name". These "workers" come up with a law that protect buyers of firewood because they are the type of people that are too stupid to look at what they are buying and being responsible for their personal purchases. Really? Firewood buyers have a layer of government that protects them from making a poor buying decision? The PA AG department has GOT TO have a million things that anyone with common sense (maybe 5% of the USA population IMO) can categorise as being much more important than being "wood police". I bet there is a license required to sell firewood in PA yes?
Sorry for this rant-it isn't directed at you by any means. I'll never be bowled over by any "department" our multi layered government systems come up with. One local example here in NC. I fairly recently purchased a kayak and was informed that I need a PFD while I am out in it. This makes my a$$ ache until my teeth rattle. I am fishing in a creek that I can stand up in nearly any part of at high tide. I swam competitively for several years and I can tread water for as long as I'm awake. Not that I would have to because I can walk the hell home IF my sit on top kayak (which cannot sink BTW) somehow got abducted by aliens. Needless to say I've yet to add a bulky PFD to my kayak fishing equipment list. I have another-I was fishing off a pier in this same creek. I caught a "slot size", meaning legal size, red drum. I was leaving so I filet this fish and throw the filets in the cooler and the rest into the creek. Just then a wildlife officer, that lives in my development, comes walking down the pier. He proceeds to spend the next 45 minutes telling me how he should give me a ticket for having a "mutilated finfish" in my cooler and that is illegal to clean a fish without keeping the carcass until I get to my home. This way they can measure the fish, which I took a picture of prior to cleaning it, and determine if it of legal size. If you live on the water and catch and clean a fish you must take the fish parts up your personal pier to your personal home then turn around and walk your butt back down to the water to discard the carcass. Huh? What is wrong here?
I could go on but I'm sure too many readers are already thinking I am an old codger with authority problems but that assumption would only be 50% accurate.
Thanks
you pretty much got it. no license required to sell firewood here YET. DoAg doesn't enforce the laws to much,only if they get complaints.i did have an "official"stop several years ago to look at my woodpiles.he was looking for invasive bugs in jan.:dizzy:
ps. we love old codgers.we are one.:rock:

Advertising helps a lot, but after you get a small customer base, word of mouth is gold. I have never advertised, but I'm not going big-time either. I have 9 routine customers now, but have had as many as 15 courtesy of word-of-mouth. I've only lost one due to a lack of satisfaction. The rest were A.D. military and got PCS'd. With those , I generally move around 12-16 cords/year not counting the 6-8 I burn a year. The most I've ever done was about 30 and that was about the max of my comfort level, with being full-time military myself and it's resultant demands. I've had to tell 7 referrals this year that I could not help them out, (but was taking orders for next year) as I did not plan for the amount that has been burned so far this season, nor losing all of the equipment in red in the middle of last year, with a miserably low insurance payout (another thread unto itself). In order to be official, I'd have to separate the wood I use from the wood I sell, or else I'd be insolvent on paper after wages and other expenses and I'm getting $100 for 0.5 cord, delivered and stacked. Hell, most of my customers insist on helping me stack (some are better than others) even after being reminded that they're paying me to stack it. It provides time for a bit of conversation and check-up, they all know me by name and ask how my family is doing and vice-versa. I enjoy it tremendously. Once I retire, I will likely take a lot more on, account for the sale wood properly and st least start being able to depreciate some equipment. Right now it's a hobby and what little I make after expenses essentially pays for my own consumption.

In my area the going rate is as little as $65 for 1/2 cord and as much as $135.00 depending on content, logistics and other factors, with the average being around $85. I am not the highest but am on the higher end. I am able to do this by operating more of a boutique/cottage style model, spending some time getting to know new customers and educating them on units of measure, wood types/uses, heater types pros/cons of each etc and giving them the information to make their own informed decisions. By doing this, I know my customers needs relative to type, size and end use requirements and help them to achieve a realistic outcome. My Farm customers want Hedge. My City customers want anything BUT Hedge, as they've been conditioned to avoid it. Most are happy with the mixed lot of Mulberry, Hackleberry, Burr, Black, White, Pin, Chestnut and Red Oak, Honey Locust, Ash, Red Elm and Black Walnut that I typically mix together as I cut it. A few specify something particular and the price goes up a bit accordingly, but they get exactly want they want and when I say I will be there, they know that I will with a quality, reliable and consistent product. If you put that together while managing your costs accordingly, you'll be just fine. Depending on the size that you're wanting/needing, If you want to do 1000 cords, you'll need some pro equipment. If you want to do 10-50 you could do it with 2 decent saws, a splitter and a good truck/trailer. Anything beyond that is simply to increase your productivity or ease the physical demands on yourself. A good hydraulic splitter is hard to beat and low entry price (not Pro-Level of course). If you're mainly doing smaller more easily managed wood, a kinetic, or flywheel splitter may be the better option, especially from a time perspective, not that they won't do large wood, but they generally don't offer a lift feature and are all horizontal. A few observations and lessons learned over 17 years of doing this, with a lot more learning to go.

Lots of good advice from the other posts.

Unless you can find a reliable source of wood that isn't too far away I would find a good logger who can deliver you truckloads at a fair price. This will reduce your profit per cord but you will save time (which allows you to split more wood) and wear and tear of your vehicle and tools by scrounging. Scrounging will work but it means you are often dealing with someone elses problem: giant yard trees, rotten wood.

Stable wood source is a must. Scrounging is fine for personal use, or maybe selling a handful of cords for some pocket money. Buying log loads will at first glance seem the wrong way to go as you do indeed make less per cord. But I believe you more than make up for that in efficiency. I have plenty of sellers that come into my store and I know of none that do any volume by scrounging. Either they buy the wood, or they are loggers/tree service/excavators who have practically unlimited access to wood.

Having seasoned wood is the big riddle around here. Most sellers simply don't have the space to store, nor the money to invest in pre-cutting 100 cords of wood so it will be seasoned by winter. Not to mention all of the extra times that wood will be handled. And buyers have almost no clue of such reality. A friend puts it best by saying "delivering the wood is my responsibility, seasoning is the customers." He has most of his customers trained to buy early, but he is very unique in that regard.

Good luck with the business, and most of all, good luck to the Mrs.

Is there a lot of demand in your market area? Not familiar with Hampstead but it looks to be a little north of Wilmington. Doing a quick look at CL-Wilmington shows quite a few ads for firewood, delivered and stacked for as low as 70$ for a truckload of oak. Looks like a couple guys with serious setups, dump truck and excavator. We don't have a huge firewood market up here in the triangle, not sure about the coast though. Just some things to think about.

Thanks for all the sentiments in this thread. We will find out Thursday what stage cancer my wife has. Prior to surgery the MD said, judging by the pathology results from a biopsy, that she likely had stage 1. After the surgery I met with the MD and when she said it was stage 3 I thought I'd somehow slipped into a nightmare. I felt similar to when I got held up at gunpoint as a kid working in a NY deli except this bad guy isn't going to turn around and leave like the one in NY did.
we were told it is still a very treatable/curable cancer but it will take a lot more intensive treatment. God willing she will get through all this with minimum problems. Not much else we can do but pray, get a few opinions and follow whatever protocol we decide is best.
On a business note it seems like I may be out of luck in finding a wood lot. My friend has land but it is involved in some rezoning hearings and can't have it being used as I want to while this is going on. I'm sure a firewood operation needs a fair amount of dirt to process and store the product and it is looking like a lot isn't in the cards right now.
Hopefully something else will come up.
I can't thanks everyone here enough. For all the generous I formation sharing. This site is full of professional that are willing to share information that has taken time and effort to gain. Often times people are hesitant to share valuable information but not here. I applaud those that have the humility and to recognise that helping others is why we are here. IMO there are few things that lift the human spirit the way that giving to those in need does. I'm not one that subscribes to the idea that handing out $ to the "needy" is the recipe for ridding our country of neediness. This isn't the kind if giving I'm involved in or am talking about here. I'm talking about the kind of giving found in the hearts of those that have participated in this thread. So many unsolicited, valuable tips that many people would never even consider sharing for fear of aiding the competition.
I'm very blessed to have found this site and those that contributed are blessed as well. Blessed with knowledge, physical abilities and perhaps most importantly, caring souls. You all made room in your busy lives to help me out knowing there is no tangible reward and I can only offer my thanks.
Thanks for a great site, great posts and great people here.
Howard
SE NC

Beekeeping for chordoma

Thanks for the link. I'm a skeptical person but I'll absolutely do some research on this product.

Beekeeping for chordoma

Latest posts

Back