neighbor disbute

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveroftrees

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is having a trouble getting a neighbor to let him trim some trees that originate on his side of a fence but hang over my friends side. My friend wants to trim the trees. The correct way would be to cut back to the trunk, the trunks are 8 to ten feet from the fence, but the neighbor says to trim to the line. My question is, is there a law written to clearify this and can I get it? Thanks for you help

Yes, there most likely is a law written to clarify this, but it can vary from place to place. Check with you local municipality.

I do know that SOME municipalities allow for trimming trees/shrubs back to the property line without consent of the neighbor. Of course, I'd be concerned with proper trimming for the health of the tree, but many times, the law doesn't address that.

Just curious--why does friend want to trim the branch(es)? Is this cosmetic or is friend concerned about safety, property damage, leaf messes, shade, other?

Last edited:
My friend has a pool full of the neighbors leaves and twigs. I looked last night and the trees in question are hanging so low when it rains you have to duck from hitting the branches. They have not been trimmed in twenty years. Alot of cherry and white oak. The fence is holding two of the trees up, 10-12 inch diameter... Thanks for your help.... Bob

My friend has a pool full of the neighbors leaves and twigs. I looked last night and the trees in question are hanging so low when it rains you have to duck from hitting the branches. They have not been trimmed in twenty years. Alot of cherry and white oak. The fence is holding two of the trees up, 10-12 inch diameter... Thanks for your help.... Bob

Yep. Check with the powers that be to see what the law is wehre you are. Almost certainly you are allowed to trim anything back to the fence line. Try to get him to see how much better it would be to trim the back to the trunk properly.

Harry K

I have a friend who is having a trouble getting a neighbor to let him trim some trees that originate on his side of a fence but hang over my friends side. My friend wants to trim the trees. The correct way would be to cut back to the trunk,
Are you sure about this?

Is reduction pruning incorrect? :blob2:

Your friend might consider a pool cover. Stuff is gonna fall from over the line when the wind blows, so hacking to the line (or to the trunk) will not end his problem.

I can understand your friends frustrations,I would check local laws to se where he stands. But mostly try to do whats best for the trees in question.Good luck.

Latest posts

Back