Neighbor's 70' pine is ready to fall on my garage!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Litigation society, we're all paying for it.
Definitely video the ladder and chainsaw game.

I agree, frivolous lawsuits are a bad part of society. I’m not sure someone neglecting a tree that will inevitably damage another’s property falls in that category. You can either take care of it, or wait for it to fall and deal with whatever happens. If it damages another’s property expect them to go after damages one way or another.

Jeez, I feel your pain. In the state of the Union that has more lawyers per capita than any other state. That sound like it would be tied up in court for years if the tree ever comes down on your house. What I would do: hire a lawyer NOW

I had a 5' old oak on the neighbor's lot that needed to come down. He wouldn't have it done but did give me permission to remove it. Another neighbor and myself footed the bill to have it removed. As much we didn't like doing it, in the big picture it was the cheapest way to go with the least amount of grief. Sometimes it just not worth the time and hassle to fight it. That was 7-8 years ago. Late this summer we had a high wind storm blow through that did a lot damage from Iowa through to us in central Illinois. I'm really glad that tree was gone.

Call your insurance carrier and explain the situation and ask them. Some carriers won’t pay a claim on a hazard tree that has should have been removed and wasn’t. I’d certainly take pictures of it and catalog what’s happening including conversations with the neighbor. Ask your neighbor what his plan is when his lumberjack skills drop a tree on your garage? Guessing insurance isn’t going to be too quick to pick that tab up either. He thought the tree removal service was expensive.
I wouldn't let him on my property that's for sure. He gets hurt doing something stupid, guess who gets sued?

Back