Neighbour dispute. Any advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have two neighbours who are becoming more and more angry with one another over tree issues. I have done a little research and am looking for some opinions and advice, particularly those of you who have dealt with this type of situation before.

The neighbourhood is an older innercity neighbourhood with mature trees and old homes. There is a lot of new development happening in our booming city and one neighbour (neighbour A) is building an infill (two houses side by side on the same lot). The other neighbour (neighbour B) has agreed to have a portion of her spruce tree trimmed back (by another arborist) to provide clearance but the tree is still encroching on neighbour A's property where the construction will take place. Neighbour A really wants to trim the tree back to the property line but I advised him to let a professional look at it first so that we can assess the previous work and figure out how much more trimming the tree will need. We do not want to cause an major damage / harm due to excessive cutting.

Really that is the least of my worries....neighbour A will begin construction soon and will be digging up the ground all around his property. The concern I have is all of the major tree roots he will be severing / damaging due to construction. Apparently the tree in question on neighbour B's property is already leaning towards neighbour A and I am afraid of what might happen if he digs up her tree's roots. Neighbour B DOES NOT want to cut down her tree nor does she want any further trimming done.

What will happen if neighbour A continues with construction and causes the decline of neighbour B's tree? What if the construction on neighbour A's property compromises neighbour B's tree and it falls over during the construction process or in the future during a windstorm, etc? There are several scenarios here and I have never had to deal with neighbour's fighting over roots before....any advice? What are the developers rights and what are the tree owners rights?

The rule I have heard and followed is neighbor A can cut any limb overhanging their property up to the property line. Neighbor A can also dig up thier property all they want up to the property line. Sucks for neighbor B but that's how it goes. Trees are often a source of neighbor disputes and that's what I tell my customers. Spruce often up root anyway, and it's leaning toward neighbor B and roots will be cut on neighbor A side. Sounds like a bad situation and it better come down before it falls. How tall?

It is a mature tree...likely 40 to 50 years old, give or take. It is about 65 to 70 feet tall.
We always tell our customres that they have the right to cut back to the property line as reasonably possably without causeing the deline of the tree. The root thing however is all new to me. I guess neighbour A is concerned that if neighbour B won't be reasonable (in his eyes) and something does happen to the tree, neighbour B will take him to court. But if neighbour B won't listen to what may potentially happen and work with neigbour A to prevent the potential for both property and human safety, what can you do? What can neighbour A do to cover his butt if something happens?

I guess if he can prove that he took every precaution and documents his actions and his attempts at trying to involve neighbour B, thats all he can really do...what do you think?

the rule ??? not do not cut aney thing without ok you will be sorry thats the rule tomtrees put in ink or $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

neighbor A can cut any limb overhanging their property up to the property line. Neighbor A can also dig up thier property all they want up to the property line. it better come down before it falls. How tall?
Do you own any tools besides chainsaws? You are preaching arborphobia here, that is not in line with current court cases, or common civility.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you--sound familiar?

Does anyone ever have any useful information / opinions around here or do you men just enjoy bickering at each other? Why does every man think his opinion is the right one? Why not an intelligent conversation / discussion?
I am using the Arborist 101 forum to try and gain a little 'expert' advice and discuss questions and issues with people who have some knowledge to offer me.

the rule ??? not do not cut aney thing without ok you will be sorry thats the rule tomtrees put in ink or $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

tom, i always have a hell of a time reading your posts. could you use some punctuation? i'm not being antagonistic or looking for a response, i just have trouble reading them sometimes.

cheers, kevin
:monkey:

Does anyone ever have any useful information / opinions around here or do you men just enjoy bickering at each other? Why does every man think his opinion is the right one? Why not an intelligent conversation / discussion?
I am using the Arborist 101 forum to try and gain a little 'expert' advice and discuss questions and issues with people who have some knowledge to offer me.

i believe he's raised a good point.

fool cut the tree and get some not so nice mail ink do you get it tom trees:buttkick:

I hope you are not referring to me as "fool"!

If in fact you are please be aware that;
A. I am trying to get general information and advice. The "ink" thing...no ####! What do you think I am going to just go in there and tell the property owner to do what ever he wants? I am very wise and cautious when it comes to these types of disputes.
B. First thing is first ...assess the tree and the potential hazards. Neighbour A can then discuss with neigbour B.
c. Eventually neighbour A will begin construction and WILL dig up some of neigbour B's tree roots. What happens after that is unknown. I have nothing to do with the construction nor does neighbour B. The only thing I can do is have one of our arborists assess the tree, advise as to what may be a potential hazard (we cannot predict the future) and insist that neighbour A share the information with neighbour B so that they can try and work on this problem together. Neighbour A is very willing and they are communicating.

I am trying to gather information for possible scenarios. I like to be prepared and knowledgeable. Yes I guess I could just go out ad buy some books on the topic and speak to law professionals about property owners rights, and past cases of tree disputes but hey I just figured I would ask today since the topic was on my mind. Getting the advice of other tree care professionals with experience seems to make sense to me!

I am glad you brought that up, it's a biatch to get good info around here, everybody's trying to cover their butt, or drum up their own work by bragging up their credentials and putting the next guy down. Welcome to the forum and try to stay sane. I was told by a guy that it used to be better around here, but a lot of the "good" guys left. Sad. Sorry, I can't offer any help on the tree, you will have to feel the situation out on your own, sticky deal for sure.

I'm sure the laws differ from place to place. especially between the US and Canada. moral issues don't hold up in court(at least not here) so you should look into the law of the matter. good luck wish I could help.
I also got a little confused with the neighbor A and the neighbor B part...............I ride the short bus!:)

FYI...it is SHE. But thanks! LOL

Oh why didn't you say so? How U doin? Total joke please forgive me but here is what's up.
That guy Tomtrees, well he's funny and I think( I said I think) that he said if you cut the tree someone will send you a letter to go to court. I would bail but I don't know the whole story.

This business is full of crazy, case in point, your senerio. You just let people know what you are going to do and have them sign off on it and pay you. Be impartial and only put the truth down when you write a proposal, put all your findings and professional recomendations and give to to the people who run the show, step back and say "what do you want me to do? If i spend anymore time on it I will have to charge you." If they need any more of your time, well there you go.
Would you like to come to my free saw demo?

What's the point of putting anything in ink if no one can make any sense of it? Maybe that's how he gets away with it...LOL
Sorry I know I was just complaining about this sort of thing and now I am doing it. Hahahaha. He called me "fool" so I get to have one jab. LOL

I do not see what is so hard to understand, its like the international sign for 'don't do what you are talking about with out getting proper permission or you will be sorry'.
well put there Tom, put a little different but still, well put.

Latest posts

Back