Never burned hickory before, what should i expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
so i recently scrounged some logs. after discovering they are hickory, i smelled the logs and they smell sweet. so i'm wondering what should i expect when burning hickory?? sweet smelling smoke? i hope so... is hickory better btu/sweet smelling smoke, than burning honey locust??

better have a good stove . hickory and locust can over heat a poorly made or run stove.

we had an outside taylor stove that just heated water that went through the house idk wat its called but you could burn absolutely anything in it but this year I started selling wood nd stuff like seasoned locust, oak, and hickory is what people want

Top tier of woods, burns hot, get it split/stacked/dry as soon as possible as bugs love it. Split the bark off for cooking with it.

thanx for the replies. i heat with an owb so i love hot burning wood. and good smelling smoke.

Im hoping for some good results too itll be my first year with the stuff and im hoping its better then splitting the stringy bast@rds!!

Idk if this will help but I found it in a book one time and thought it was cool. So here ya go

Attachments

• 1408538557354.jpg
    1408538557354.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 29
IME hickory takes a while to dry, and doesn't burn very well before it's down to about 15%. Once there, it's some of the best.

Latest posts

Back