Never go cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My owb keeps the house plenty warm but almost daily when it's cold out we still use the fireplace because that room is on a slab and it's where the little ones constantly play. So after much teaching about balling up newspaper and crisscrossing the kindling, my two little ones will never let us get cold again. All I did was light it and then throw the logs on. Couldn't help to take this picture as they built their first fire by themselves today.image.jpgimage.jpg

Nice. That skill (and the memories) will stick with them. Firewood'n is a family affair around our house too. Good work!

I do try to save cherry for the fireplace but right now I'm burning a mix of pine and locust. Crazy I know but the pine gives off nice flames and the locust ensures I'm not getting up every 20-30 minutes to put more wood in. I'm already teaching my boy who is 3.5 the what to look for in tree identification. I am hoping one day he can identify them better than me.

Plant some trees with those young'uns!

When I was 4 in the early 50s I started a small garden, plus, helped my dad plant some trees in the back yard. It was a hoot and a half to go see them again in the 70s (well past when we lived there, just went driving to go see them), all but one were still there and they had gotten reasonable climbing size.

Definitely get the kids involved in plantings. My 2 year old daughter helped me out one day around 1979 by planting a nothing twig we got free in a mail order. When I dropped it 2 years ago it was a nice ash with a DBH of about 36 inches. Even though she had planted it about 20 feet from the house it was encroaching to the point that the insurance company would not cover my house unless I got rid of it. She still gets a thrill just pulling up in front of the house and seeing that stump of the tree she planted.

Back