Never thought it would happen.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightk20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Last night i had my wood shed catch fire and it burned the thing to the ground. I figure i had roughly 30 cord stored under roof. It had a year and a half of drying time. It was very windy here yesterday and they figure a spark must have come out of the chimney to ignite it. I will try and get a pic of it to show it. The shed was only a year old, 64ft. by 15ft. Just thought i would share the bad news. I guess having the wood stove under the same roof as the wood might not be such a good idea. kevin

The "bright" side is that it's got to get better from there. Glad it didn't take anybody or the house.

Got skids or other burnable scrap nearby? Time to improvise.

yeah the wood isn't so bad. i lost my most prized item a x27 fiskers went up as well. i haven't accounted for all my chainsaws yet.

Sorry for your wood and shed loss.. If it's insured for fire i hope they don't drag their heals on rebuilding your shed.

Sorry to hear this. Look on the bright side, wood and saws can be replaced. Much better than the house catching on fire and endangering lives.

These little hurdles in life will only make you stronger brother!

I can really relate to your loss. We lost one this Summer with the same amount of wood. 150 year old wood barn though, a new one would be worse to loose. Ours wasn't insured but we were surprised to find that under home owners/farm policy most of the contents were. They paid for labor to clean up too and also a large dumpster. If you lost any trees check on those as well. We had to get a certified arborist for appraisal but it REALLY helped on the rebuild costs.

We hauled the scrap metal as well and they let us keep that. I was VERY surprised how they treated us, I wasn't expecting that. With our company if you replaced an item they payed fulled replacement cost. If you wanted cash the depreciated it. Make up an inventory of EVERYTHING you had. It's overwhelming I know but hang in there.

MVC-018S_22.JPG

Wow! Those kinds of things aren't supposed to happen. Hopefully your insurance will cover any loss, and maybe someone up your way can help you make it through the winter heating season.

Having wood shouldn't be an issue. There alot of half burned and chared stuff to burn although it would be a pain to deal with that messy stuff. i had the outdoor wood stove in the shed and that is a total loss. The pipes are burned off right at the concrete floor.

That blows. How high was your chimney? Or was it a spark from loading?

SUCKS!!!! Man I am sorry

Weird coincidence, TV news right now is showing how boiled linseed oil rags just catch fire all by themselves.

sorry to hear that, but..

very sorry for your loss. i have had night mares and i knock on wood everytime i even think of that. no body was hurt and you didnt loose your home. now think back to what you wanted to do with that shed. the improvements and upgrades you can now make. there is always a bright side.

If the wood burner that started it all was connected into your home heating, the furnace would be part of your heating system for your house and therefore it should be covered under your homeowners policy. Hopefully you have a replacement cost policy. The wood if it is for your own use and not for sale should be covered under your contents coverage on the home as well. The building, well, that will depend a lot on your policy. Could be considered an outbuilding under your home owners policy or if you have a farm owners policy might need to have been specifically insured. Again it all depends on whats included on your insurance policy. Hope you get a good insurance adjuster and hopefully you have an insurance agent that knows his stuff and keeps his nose in the claim to see that you are getting treated fairly per the contract of insurance. Sorry to harp on the insurance angle but Insurance Claims are what I do for a living so my hope is that your policy and Ins. Company can get you back to whole again. So sorry to hear of your loss, but as others have said, thankful that there was not any loss of life.

Sorry for your loss. It's bad news, for sure. But, you and your family are safe and that's really what it's all about. Take care and all the best.

The chimney was 12' tall off the tee at the back of it. it was very high winds up here so they are assuming it was a spark out of the chimney. I actually let the fire go out that day to install a cow tank water heater off one of the loops. When i was done with the install i went to start the stove again and there were enough coals in the ashes to start up again. I threw about 6 pieces of wood in it and turned it on. I turned the circulator on and bled the air out of the loop i just installed and then headed to town to get a case of beer to reward myself for a job well done. When i got back to the house i checked the stove and it was up to temp and the blower was shut off. i walked back to the shed to check out the water tank heating loop and everything was circulating good. Waited for my dad to get home to show him the set up and while we were in the shed we heared a pop noise come from the wood stove. Ran outside and half the shed was engulfed in flames. The building was covered under the farm policy and so was the wood that burned. The stove i guess they are not sure if it is covered or not. If thats not covered then that will be a pretty big hit. All the money would have to go back to another stove and none left over for a shed, but atleast i should be heating with wood again hopefully in the near future. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. kevin

Back