new 066 new problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Litefoot,
not too new to starting 2 strokes( 026, 036, 6401, many yard tools as well). New to replacing P/C in saws though. have done a few MC and a few backyard small block chevy's in the day but these super complicated saws... ?

guys I really appreciate the help. I haven't run a 66 yet so that's whats got me motivated. that and a good challenge.

Man that thing looks like a beast.

Cool, sometimes the problem is that the operator doesn't understand to take the saw OFF choke after the intial pop. I understand your excitement. I just picked up pretty decent 660 that I'm working on too. Should be fun!

Cool, sometimes the problem is that the operator doesn't understand to take the saw OFF choke after the intial pop. I understand your excitement. I just picked up pretty decent 660 that I'm working on too. Should be fun!

Chapter 1 : Verse 1 of the two stroke bible...take the saw OFF choke after the intial pop.

Chapter 1 : verse 2: make sure the mix is fresh. and last week is not "fresh" sometimes....

Make sure to empty the fuel from the tank,the object is to get only fresh air no more fuel.You're trying to get the fuel to air ratio back in order,you have too much fuel and no air to burn it. After it starts, then you gas it back up and play.

Don't worry about prices of stuff after you've bought yours.I'm sure someone will post something about getting one free any day now.I haven't heard of anyone getting paid to take one yet,but it's only a matter of time.

Gary (GASoline71 post above)had a video on starting recently,search it out.

Last edited:
Make sure to empty the fuel from the tank,the object is to get only fresh air no more fuel.You're trying to get the fuel to air ratio back in order,you have too much fuel and no air to burn it. After it starts, then you gas it back up and play.

Him Will,
never had to drain tank completely before but it makes perfect sense. i'll report back tomorrow.
thanks,
A

Did you take the flywheel off and forget to put it back on properly? If it is out of time it wont fire. Im in NE PA I work in the Clinton area willing to take a look if you can't get it to fire but you need to bring it to my place

Did you take the flywheel off and forget to put it back on properly? If it is out of time it wont fire. Im in NE PA I work in the Clinton area willing to take a look if you can't get it to fire but you need to bring it to my place

Bill,
that's the offer I was looking for. I am going to try to "unflood" it first. If'n that don't get her to pop I will look you up. Did you ever have any luck with the 6401 ? I tried to get a friend to buy it but he'ld rather borrow my 026 and yup he cut a leg. Just a nick but enough of a reminder.

Guys,
Looking for some help for a friend who was Fleeced by the "bay". He bought a 066 got one cut out of it and poof. cylinder seized, so we replaced the P/C in doing so it seems as the culprit was uncovered. Looks like the intake boot was compromised and caused the lean burn.
Well P/C swapped, Intake boot replaced, Impulse line replaced, new fresh fuel added and still no go. can't seem to get a burble. Good spark, replaced the plug anyway but still no go. So I am looking for some help to get the saw up and running. Yes we could drop it off to any of the local Stihl reps but no one is willing to let us in the shop to actually learn what we did wrong. so my question is are there any locals who would assist in the Central Jersey, Eastern PA area that might want to make a new friend teach some dumb guys about their chainsaws and maybe trade out for some excavation work( I am a banker but the friend is a excavation contractor) you can have all the financial advice for free anytime for what that's been worth lately.

thanks guys.
Angelo

contact paul001 on this forum.
though i can't speak for him, he is a good bet to help you if he is not too busy at work.

Angelo, if you can't get it running, I can take a look at it for you. Maybe your close by, I'm in the Trenton/Hamilton area every day and I live down by Ft. Dix.

Angelo,
I just thought of something else. If the intake boot was leaking, then the previous owner probably compensated by adjusting the carburetor WAY too rich. So after you dry it out (if it is indeed flooded), then make sure the carb screws are set to about 1 turn out CCW( after turning both screws CW all the way in) on both the H and L screws (look at the markings on the air filter cover for the default settings).

Gentlemen,
We have lift off:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:. Must have been flooded. screams like a raped date. Many thanks to all for the help and kind offers for even more help. I may still take someone up on the help offer as just like Litefoot mentioned i/we need to make sure it's tuned proper. I don't have the ear yet for the famous 4 stroking I should be listening for.
any suggestions for where to purchase a P/C set for another 066 I have a bead on would be greatly appreciated. Or is it something you just get from the dealer?

Again,
Many thanks to all.
Angelo

Latest posts

Back