new 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskystihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just picked up a new one on tuesday and due to weather weren't cutting till today. Got it out of the truck dumped out the gas the dealer put in it filled it up with our ultra mix and it popped right off. Beautiful saw lightweight metal in allthe right places, kind of expensive though. we only used it for about a half tank but it seemed like it was not fully rapping out, it cut good. My question is to anyone who has one did yours do this for the first couple tanks? I really don't like adjustments for the first 4 or 5 tanks unless they are really running bad which it wasn't, just not the 13,500 it should have. Any feedback is appreciated

Mine ran great from the start but I didn't and wouldn't use synthetic mix in it for at least the first gallon or two. Your rings may not seat.

Where did that 13,500 come from? You use a tach?

I have not had a new 361 but I can say as the rings seat, all of my new/new ringed saws have gained power......

Mine ran great from the start but I didn't and wouldn't use synthetic mix in it for at least the first gallon or two. Your rings may not seat.

We've used ultra since it came out and have never had problems, new or old saws. I mentioned it to the dealer and said it has never been an issue for him either.

Most saws dont run that good until broken in give it some time then ajust. I was not that impresed withn mine until it was broken in it really picked up after.

Last edited:
In my best Darrell Waltrip voice...

Alright! Another 361 Thread!!! Woohoo!! Boogity, Boogity! Lets get
it rolling boys!

NOT!!!

Actually, intererestingly enough and so I don't come off as complete dookie butt, I asked my dealer the Ultra question today. He says run it from the get go.

Last edited:
All saws are different that book value of 13500 does not mean that every 361 is going to be set perfect at that setting it is just a max setting from the factory with all factory parts... Some saws will run better at 13200 or 13300 who knows, tachs are ok but anybody who sets saws up who puts saws at the book setting with a tach for every situation don't know how to tune a saw correctly. If you don't know what a saw should sound link out of the wood and in the cut take it to someone who does you will be better off and the saw will perform better and last longer for you.

As for synthetic mix you can run it from tank one it will not hurt your saw in any way period.

I'm not trying to be nasty I'm just trying to give you the best advice I can.
:cheers:

All saws are different that book value of 13500 does not mean that every 361 is going to be set perfect at that setting it is just a max setting from the factory with all factory parts... Some saws will run better at 13200 or 13300 who knows, tachs are ok but anybody who sets saws up who puts saws at the book setting with a tach for every situation don't know how to tune a saw correctly. If you don't know what a saw should sound link out of the wood and in the cut take it to someone who does you will be better off and the saw will perform better and last longer for you.

As for synthetic mix you can run it from tank one it will not hurt your saw in any way period.

I'm not trying to be nasty I'm just trying to give you the best advice I can.

Awesome advice! My tach talk was mainly for making sure it isn't going to fast. The book value will get you close but a fine tune in wood is a must.

Just from my MX days even the oil manufactures said "DO NOT use synthetic to break a motor in". Said it was so slick the rings would take forever to seat and might not ever seat fully.

I have always set my carbs by ear and never had any problems. I just wanted to hear some feedback on this infamous 361 on break in behavior . I think it might be running a tad rich. But like I said the first four tanks most saws kind of have split personalities. I had a 5100 that ran to good new which worried me as well.

Just from my MX days even the oil manufactures said "DO NOT use synthetic to break a motor in". Said it was so slick the rings would take forever to seat and might not ever seat fully.

I know what your saying but we're not talking apples and apples....:dizzy:

I know what your saying but we're not talking apples and apples....:dizzy:

Whats the difference? Both two stroke with nikasil lined cylinders. The rings have got to be similer materials and design.

Whats the difference? Both two stroke with nikasil lined cylinders. The rings have got to be similer materials and design.

I'm saying that the oils produced today are far better then those of the past the Stihl HP ULTRA is good oil and you can use it from day one without any fears.:cheers:

I'm saying that the oils produced today are far better then those of the past the Stihl HP ULTRA is good oil and you can use it from day one without any fears.:cheers:

+1!

most of the newer 361 are let leaner than lean. say for instance having to remove the limiters to keep the saw off 15K.

:jawdrop:

Hey huskystihl great purchase . I think you will be happy. My 361 ran good from the start, but after about 10 tanks you could really tell a difference. By the way I guess you heard the 361 got knocked off it's throne by a Reda$$ 666,or Fata$$ 666 or something like that. I know it was a Red or Fat something or another. So now all us 361 owners have to go buy one of those Red things to be recrowned.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

+1!

I just took it outside warmed it up and leaned the high just a smidge and it helped. This wasn't my usual dealer, a good dealer, just no wood to test it out on so I think for safeties sake he tuned it rich. Which I don't blame him.

Last edited:
Hey huskystihl great purchase . I think you will be happy. My 361 ran good from the start, but after about 10 tanks you could really tell a difference. By the way I guess you heard the 361 got knocked off it's throne by a Reda$$ 666,or Fata$$ 666 or something like that. I know it was a Red or Fat something or another. So now all us 361 owners have to go buy one of those Red things to be recrowned.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I think I will love this saw. I have an 036 which i swear will run with no sparkplug and this saw is supposedly far more superior.

+1!

most of the newer 361 are let leaner than lean. say for instance having to remove the limiters to keep the saw off 15K.

I just took it outside warmed it up and leaned the high just a smidge and it helped. This wasn't my usual dealer, a good dealer, just no wood to test it out on so I think for safeties sake he tuned it lrich. Which I don't blame him.

I said lean I meant rich.

Last edited:
Back